Ike dollars???

jethro1469

Mar 18, 2009
East Coast
Probably finding them by chance is your best bet. Always ask your tellers if they have any; they are glad to get rid of them. During the last 2 months, I've picked up almost 200 of them that way, ranging from 1 to 90 at a time.
It may be possible to order as the banks do send them away when they accumulate enough to ship. However I've never gotten a positive reply when I asked.
People seem to save their Ikes because they rarely see them. It was never very popular in use because they are so heavy.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
I'd like to find more clad Ike dollars.

Will I only find these at banks by chance, or can they be ordered?

While I am asking dumb questions, what ever happened to all of those Ike dollars that used to be in circulation?

Thanks so much!!!!

I just went to the bank when i got a box of dimes and the lady told me that someone brought them in and cashed them in..I asked her if they were able to order these from wherever..and she told me that you can only get them if they are brought in...I might be wrong..but she acted like they are impossible to order :dontknow:

She is always cool about the other stuff thou..so i sorta belive her

rileyboy

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2010
I got 30 BU/Unc. 1974 Ikes at a bank yesterday. Beautiful coins and well worth keeping.
They are out there, but not often. Just have to keep asking.
rileyboy

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are all sitting in the suppliers bank vaults in $1k bags because no one uses them. Just like the SBA's, presidential and the suck-a-wee-jus.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I'd rather figure out how to SELL them than how to buy them. My banks get them quite often. BUt I can't find a market to dump them for more than $1, so I've left them there. ANyone know how to sell them for more than $1.10? That's all I'd need in order to make it worth my time. 10% on an investment is decent. And I can get a few hundred probably in short order. then maybe it would slow down, after the finrst ones are gone, but still - how does one get a premium on Ikes?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jrf30 said:
I'd rather figure out how to SELL them than how to buy them. My banks get them quite often. BUt I can't find a market to dump them for more than $1, so I've left them there. ANyone know how to sell them for more than $1.10? That's all I'd need in order to make it worth my time. 10% on an investment is decent. And I can get a few hundred probably in short order. then maybe it would slow down, after the finrst ones are gone, but still - how does one get a premium on Ikes?

Best I have done with them is $1.05 shipped. Not really worth the time and effort. I have seen them listed at $1.10 on this particular forum before and I believe those sold also.

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked up 25 of them last week after a teller told me that they had an envelope with "large dollar coins". I was hoping for Morgans, but they were IKEs. Over the last week or so, I have spent about half of them. I looked to see where I could unload them, but there is no real profit margin on them. I guess I will hold on to a few and dump the rest.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had about 120 of them and decided to just dump them at the bank for even money. Not worth the trouble to make even $.10 a piece.

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannot be ordered...

or so my bank says.

I ask everytime I go in, but the tellers say everyone ask for them so there are hardly any around to be had where I am. the most I've gotten at one time was a $20 rool of them...no silvers in the bunch :0(

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Anyone on here able to explain why all my tellers call them BO dollars? My guess is Big Ol Dollar....but I may be wrong..

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
AGCoinHunter said:
They are all sitting in the suppliers bank vaults in $1k bags because no one uses them. Just like the SBA's, presidential and the suck-a-wee-jus.

There are banks that will order them in the 1k bags. I'll bet if you lived in ther Southwest and ordered them you would get a couple of peace dollars.
Rich

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
i just picked up 46 today from some banks...gotta 1973 and a gold plated (no worth more than $1$ but still cool) imma dump the rest tomorrow...i seem to find them all the time where i live, but cant find anyone willing to pay any more than face :(
keep looking, and u will find a BUNCH over time.

GlassyEyed

Oct 15, 2009
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Tesoro Tiger Shark & Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kd5txx said:
Anyone on here able to explain why all my tellers call them BO dollars? My guess is Big Ol Dollar....but I may be wrong..

I wondered about that as well. Where I am it's the minorities that call them BO dollars. When I first heard that I had to confirm we were talking about the same ones...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Am I the ONLY one who checked ebay? I have almost 175 of these. "Lots of 100 Ikes" have been selling on ebay for between $150-175 (plus shipping) pretty regularly.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GlassyEyed said:
kd5txx said:

I wondered about that as well. Where I am it's the minorities that call them BO dollars. When I first heard that I had to confirm we were talking about the same ones...

Ive heard them called "Beau Dollars" before in the south...maybe it was just changed to "BO"? :dontknow:

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
jerseyben said:
Am I the ONLY one who checked ebay? I have almost 175 of these. "Lots of 100 Ikes" have been selling on ebay for between $150-175 (plus shipping) pretty regularly.

I saw this too, and am confused. Just two months ago, Ike dollars were barely bringing much over face. I even thought about selling the 14 that I had, and it wasn't worth it at all!!!!

What has changed?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
clovis97 said:
jerseyben said:

I saw this too, and am confused. Just two months ago, Ike dollars were barely bringing much over face. I even thought about selling the 14 that I had, and it wasn't worth it at all!!!!

What has changed?

Maybe people are buying them for Christmas gifts?

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max
I sold 20 Ikes today for $1.25 each. Also sold 100 Ikes about two months ago for $1.25 each. I pick them up at banks whenever they are available but have never gotten a silver one. HH

FL Junkman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread