ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen a coin counter that will take them.

OP
OP
E

etfonehome4

Jan 7, 2011
ArkieBassMan said:
I've never seen a coin counter that will take them.

dang how do i get rid of them without actually giving them to the tellers that I bought them from?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Craigslist works or simply just spend them. Use them in drive thrus, use them for tips at restaurants, buy gas with it, etc. Most people are really happy to get clad Ike dollars because they think they are silver and that you must be crazy to spend them for face value :laughing7:

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen Ike's sell for a premium on Craigs List. Check it out. Especially if you can put together a bunch of 1976 coins.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ikes are easy to get rid of. A big lot of them might bring a small profit on eBay or Craigslist. If you don't want to go to the trouble, MANY tellers collect Ikes and will happily buy them. At the first stop of my last roadtrip, I walked in and asked for halves and "big" dollars as usual. She had $2 in halves, but replied that she didn't have any big dollars and in fact kept the few she came across. I just happened to have 95 of them in my truck. She ended up buying them all.

After returning with the Ikes, I noticed 3 half dollars stacked up and 1 off to the side. It was a 40%er. As I laid the Ikes on the counter, she placed the 40%er with the other three and handed them to me. I know she was going to keep it, but since I brought in the Ikes she let me have it. So not only did I unload the Ikes that I didn't want, I scored a silver that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in taking a few off your hands. PM me with what you have and hopefully we can work out a deal.

I give them to my umpires as "Flip" coins, no mistaking heads nor tails. Am not interested in the Silver Ike's, just the clad.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just don't try using them as tips at a Gentleman's Club ;D

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
No machine i know of takes them.

I still get spam from posting them on craigs list tho others claim it worked out for them.

I take them to the coin show and buy silver with them.

TheProf

Nov 13, 2009
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 White's Spectrum Vibra-Probe 580 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to another bank and they will most likely take them. I went to another bank in another town and they gladly exchanged them. I gave them $20-100 at a time. They said people use them for kids first tooth and were happy to get them. Even to this day, it is the first thing they ask me when I walk in if I have any Ikes.

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010
I've had good luck with CraigsList. I usually sell 75 for 100 and can usually unload them in a week. I then use my profit to by any Liberty halves that I can find.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be interested in buying some ikes off you I am starting to collect them I will pay 1.30 per coin and if you want to sell your silver ones I'd be happy to talk about those also...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread