Ike question..

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Tim,

Some of them are 40% silver. They will have an "S" mintmark, and according to Wikipedia will be 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, and 1976 and they can be either uncirculated or proof.

I have never asked for these at banks so I don't know much about them myself.

Jim

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
Hey Tim , yeah as Jim stated the proofs are 40% silver and they are heavy .316 of a troy ounce or $5.50 m.v. . The 72s have a 3 different varieties in them w/ type 2 being the $$$$ one and the 73s are pretty hard to find they were only intended for sets not circulation also the 1976s have 2 varieties as well .....

As far as them being scarce some folks can get alot them by the boxes or bags but in some areas mine included I cant seem to order any or find any amount ....

Hope that this helps ,HH

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
But the best part of searching for IKES is when you ask for the LARGE dollar coins you might get lucky and catch a PEACE or MORGAN dollar.....

A lot of the tellers will refer to Ikes as silver dollars. Here in Detroit most of the tellers call them BO dollars?

Do you have any half dollar or large dollar coins?

No! eyes don't. But eyes can ax da udder tellas..... "HEY yall got any em BO dollas"......

LOL Cracks me up

Mojo

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim (PA) said:
What's the deal with Ike dollars?
Tim, I always ask for BIG $$$. I never ask for silver $$$ or IKE $$$

So far I have gotten one Morgan, one silver round and a few weeks ago a peace dollar.
It works. :D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmojo said:
No! eyes don't. But eyes can ax da udder tellas..... "HEY yall got any em BO dollas"......
That is a pretty good impression of my buddy Patrick Earl's Momma, thats how he get all his coin, his momma is a tella ;D

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I need to start asking for big dollars. But I imagine tellers are more on to these being worth something (old Peace and Morgans) and might grab them when they can.

Jim

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
jim4silver said:
I need to start asking for big dollars. But I imagine tellers are more on to these being worth something (old Peace and Morgans) and might grab them when they can.

Jim
A lot are in the know. But like my Peace Out Yo thread linked above, luckily, some aren't.

OP
OP
Tim (PA)

Tim (PA)

Oct 26, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
XLT
Thanks to everyone for shedding some light. I'll have to give it a try... "BIG dollars please" :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions