Ikes and copper pennies

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are Ikes like copper pennies? What I mean is that if you want to make some money off the coins rather than hoard them, is it best to line up someone to sell them to before you spend a lot of time and money buying them? Or, are Ikes like halves, in that you have a decent chance of finding some Ag if you search through bank orders (which come in a minimum order of $1000) and you don't really care about making a profit on the clad?

I scored 36 Ikes at one of my local banks yesterday, all clad and in circulated condition. I have the opportunity to order $1000 of Ikes from a bank, but I appreciate hearing from those who search Ikes in size why they do it. At this point I don't think I'm interested in collecting all the varieties of clad Ikes (I already collect a lot of other U.S. coins). Is there a decent chance of finding Ag? Is it hard to sell the common clad at a profit? I imagine dumping them at banks is tough.

Upvote 0

chadsdad01

Mar 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The next 2000 produce a 1903 S Morgan, an 1887 Morgan, a 1971 Blue Ike, a 73 au, a 73 Proof, and a 77 Proof. Now I have to find a new source for more.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Huh? He didnt do anything wrong. Is this the way people acted to u when you first joined?

I am suggesting that Chad make a new thread. It costs nothing to make a thread, and you will get more visiblilty (if you make a good title), and you will not revive older threads which do not need reviving.

nube250

Aug 5, 2011
IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Joe777Cool. I was simply sharing with others that $1000 bags of IKES can still be ordered from your bank. The bank simply has to call on your behalf to see if the armored car service can get them.

My bank called cause they werent on the order form. My teller has to order dollar coins then email them to specify Ikes. Probably why most cant get them, Its easier for a teller to just say no..

They told the teller it was not a sure thing because the FED told them to take them out of circulation. This is just hearsay but better get em while you can..

Bernanke is looking for Morgans and ASE's cause he knows the $ is going bust.. Im pretty sure I read on the fed res website they are trying to deflate the $.

End The Fed!
Id vote for Ron Paul again in '16 but he'll prob be dead..

chadsdad01

Mar 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got an order in of 5000 more Ikes from a CU in Va. I'll post results later.

chadsdad01

Mar 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time, I sold locally. Tonight I offered them to members here at face value, and got attacked from lame members that couldn't mind their our business, and wanted to feel important. I'll sell on EBAY or just spend them. It's good to see them in circulation and people love them. Now when crh come thru here, you can bet they will get IKES! Today's 5000 only had 4 proofs and 11 1973's . No silver. I ordered 7000 more which is all the supplier had left.

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time, I sold locally. Tonight I offered them to members here at face value, and got attacked from lame members that couldn't mind their our business, and wanted to feel important. I'll sell on EBAY or just spend them. It's good to see them in circulation and people love them. Now when crh come thru here, you can bet they will get IKES! Today's 5000 only had 4 proofs and 11 1973's . No silver. I ordered 7000 more which is all the supplier had left.

Lol, be nice now Chad.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How about the fact you can not sell here unless your a charter member which is what the members told you.....

chadsdad01

Mar 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't sold anything. I was trying to help others get something they want for no charge.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't sold anything. I was trying to help others get something they want for no charge.

... Which is also against the rules. That's why everyone got all over you about it.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/313140-reminder-selling-trading-anything-treasurenet.html

TreasureNet - Rules

Look, don't take this as an attack, because it isn't, I'm just trying to explain to you why there was backlash.

Also, no one on here probably wants searched Ikes, especially here in the CRHing forum (at least half of the people that post on here just care about the silvers).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was still violating our rules, selling is selling, even if no profit is made.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you wanna P.M. me ill give a source that is free to sell any coins no membership required......

RamsesII

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I'm in VA and have been really trying to get Ikes thru my Wells Fargo. They called their coin distributor that places orders with Brinks but said they couldn't get them. My teller really goes the extra mile for me with everything else, so I believe that he really tried. This teller even told me about a customer who brought in $400 of Ikes a year ago. Next time he saw her he said another customer was interested in buying any more she had. She agreed to give him her phone number, but then when I called her she said she was selling them on eBay. Arg!. She said her family used to own a car dealership and would give these out on Presidents Day sales. They just had tons leftover. I might call back in case she didn't get around to posting them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread