illegal dumping

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
caught this guy taking his lawn garbage off into the national forest{yes, there may not be trees...but it is forest}
so like a good boy scout...i yelled...took his picture...and pointed him out to the town dump...
followed and made sure his garbage went in the dump, not the forest.

100_2490.JPG

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tossing yard trimming scraps is probably not much of an issue, but
up here in the far NW it's usually their garbage itself that gets dumped
all over some pristine looking area.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job!:thumb_up:....:thumb_down: on that dude

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Be careful, he may be armed. But if we had gun control you would be safer, until he chopped you up with his machete...

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
armed means squat...not going to dump in my forest.

That country down there is just beautiful, and good onya for turning them in.
As I mentioned above, the yard waste may or may not be a big issue for the FS,
but if someones tossing exotic plants that somehow take root, then that can
certainly become a threat to the entire forest area

OP
OP
pippinwhitepaws
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well, nothing in the truck was local flora...it was imported lawn plants...and garbage...two by fours...paneling..ect.
this is bad on many levels...the desert has already changed from the importation of plants and animals from elsewhere...
water normally in cycle is diverted to water lawns and flush toilets...

things do not "compost" in the desert...garbage will lay there for decades...unless the wind or animals help it along.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's just a little compost then he may be able to dump for free as newer dumps recycle and sell the compost. I think it's the attitude here that's offensive. And yes he could be spreading noxious weeds or pests. We just yesterday saw where someone dumped 6 or 8 big bags or trash in a culvert by a highway. Saved him $15 but may cost $1500 to pick up. Pisses me off to no end. Thanks PWP.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured if he dumps that what else is he dumping. First thing I did think about was introduction of non-native plants. I do know the FS is concerned about invasive species. You can get in trouble for the wrong type of horse feed and they prefer you stay on trails to limit the spread from seeds that may be on your shoes. I always make it a point to have garbage bags in my camp box and everywhere I camp I pick up any trash I find on the site and carry it out. I have noticed that tourists do a better job of keepin the place clean (thanks, Texans) than locals, but everybody in the mountains does a way more better job than folks did in Oklahoma. I think you done a good deed, pippinwhitepaws. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions