illinois artifacts

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few more items from Monmouth college.Never get tired of looking at this stuff.I saw this collection before it was donated to the college.Two men had over 80yrs collecting.They had over 100 axeheads.I was disappointed to see only one case of artifacts on display.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121215_090509.png
    ForumRunner_20121215_090509.png
    334.9 KB · Views: 98
  • ForumRunner_20121215_090555.png
    ForumRunner_20121215_090555.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 93
  • ForumRunner_20121215_090710.png
    ForumRunner_20121215_090710.png
    386.8 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang got another old illinos artifact in there my dad Bill Lox owner of the Longbranch bar Oquawka,Ill...deceased.

IlliniGuy

Dec 8, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Unfortunately that happens all too often when something is donated. You will probably never see my collection in a museum. Some of the finest artifacts from Illinois (and other states as well) are in a basement somewhere.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I know what you mean illiniguy.went to an archaeological exhibit put on by the U.of Maine titled 30yrs of archeology in Maine.What a disappointment.They had some nice stuff but not near the stuff they should have had.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately that happens all too often when something is donated. You will probably never see my collection in a museum. Some of the finest artifacts from Illinois (and other states as well) are in a basement somewhere.

True or they just disappear. Sore subject with me. I appreciate museums ability to cherry pick. Thanks for showing. I bet your Dad was a pistol and a lot of fun. My kinda guy!

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was quite the cat tnm.Tended his bar in a white dress shirt.drank his whisky out of a 10 oz.coke bottle.He commercial fished the Mississippi river.He also turtle trapped the area ponds.In the fifties he and a couple of my uncles took plott hounds to western ...montana to hunt mt.lions.he loved to hunt and fish.Don't know for sure but I'm betting he would have razzed me to no end about artifact hunting.with no gun involved .....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Museums are neat to visit but the one near me has a bunch of artifacts not even on view. They told me that most of the nice stuff is at another place and they cant let anyone see them. Didnt make any sense to me at all. I know the "archys" dont want anyone to have them. They want to have them for themselves to play with in their basements.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of the problem is not everybody appreciates artifacts.I showed my artifacts at a powwow in maine.Very few took notice.One individual mumbled look he's selling rocks.In a society where beatles lunchboxes are worth more than artifacts that are thousands of years old.Maybe they don't put out large displays due to lack of inteterest.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IDK it is a well known Mound and the museum is in the front. Probably one of the most well known ones in all of the USA. The museum was going to expand but the funding was cut due to the budget problem. Maybe you have heard of it? Etowah Mounds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread