SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a millionaire!!!

While scrounging through some old boxes today I came across a big pile of foreign coins and some paper money that I had totally forgotten about. These were given to me almost 50 years ago, and I thought they were lost. They didn't even turn up 5 years ago when we moved, so I was shocked when I came across them. The pile included 17 of those 100,000 marks bills from 1923 Germany. They're kinda cool but pretty much worthless. There was an old joke that said if you left a wheelbarrow of these around, thieves would steal the wheelbarrow and leave the money behind. I guess the best find in the pile were the approximately 20 silver coins, mostly Canadian and Australian. There were also 4 late 1800s to early 1900s British pennies. And the most interesting were these 2 huge German medals or medallions. Don't have a clue what they're about, but they weigh a ton. Anyway, it was fun to go through these and see them again, and I still can't for the like of me remember who gave this stuff to me.

Attachments

• money1.jpg
    money1.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 289
  • money2.jpg
    money2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 286
  • money3.jpg
    money3.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 289
  • money4.jpg
    money4.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 286
  • money5.jpg
    money5.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 306
  • money6.jpg
    money6.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 296
  • money7.jpg
    money7.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 277
  • money8.jpg
    money8.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 284
  • money9.jpg
    money9.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 285
  • money10.jpg
    money10.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 281
Upvote 26

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boy... what a great stash of goodies!!! Awesome!!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
BILL! I've found you-

After all these years, (and not because you're a million-air now either, got nothing to do with it)

It's me! GIB, your long lost brother!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I collect stamps and have several German stamps from that era in denominations of millions and billions of Marks.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on finding them again. I have dug 2 of those English pennies now and they sure make a detector sing.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds!

I can look at that kind of stuff for hours!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I collect stamps and have several German stamps from that era in denominations of millions and billions of Marks.

Erik - I collected US stamps when I was much younger and have a pretty decent collection. I've been thinking for years about selling them, but it seems they don't command much of a price these days. So not sure what I'll do with them.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Re-Find

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool re-find Bill,
My Grandfather gave me one of them metals when I was a kid.
He said he got them over in Germany when he was in the war..
Wish I still had it.

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill - the Ludwig II Medal:
Bavaria, Ludwig II (1845-1864-1886),
Copper Medal,by A Stanger, bust right,
rev figure riding pegasus, edge stamped
POLYCHRONIOS LEMBESSIS, 56mm; (2) £100-120

Nice score!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Erik - I collected US stamps when I was much younger and have a pretty decent collection. I've been thinking for years about selling them, but it seems they don't command much of a price these days. So not sure what I'll do with them.

You still see stamp dealers putting older commemorative stamps on letters as postage b/c they can buy them at less than face value. A bit odd seeing a letter arrive in the mail with a dozen stamps on it from the 40s and 50s. Some of the old definitive series stamps have some value, but I have not kept up with prices. I think stamp collecting is sadly fading away. I have been collecting US and International since I was a boy. Like detecting, you can learn quite a bit from stamps. It's a shame that like US coins they don't know how to make beautiful ones any more. The older engraved issues that were typically part of a series were beautiful.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats Bill! You'd really be rich IF Germany had won WW2 but you would probably be dead as well-LOL. Stay Cool bud! HH, Q.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those medals are really nice, I'd do a nice little shadow box with those.

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
You still see stamp dealers putting older commemorative stamps on letters as postage b/c they can buy them at less than face value. A bit odd seeing a letter arrive in the mail with a dozen stamps on it from the 40s and 50s.
LOL - I'm mailing letters with 3 x 15 cents and a 4 cent stamp from the 1940's right now. I've got a huge pile of mint US from 1940 - 1990's that I need to use up. When I had more free time I was selling pre 1940 stamps on eBay and then using 91 cents in older stamps to mail the auction items. The legal size envelopes would be plastered with stamps (which the buyers liked). They are, unfortunately, more valuable as postage than as a collection, with a few exceptions.

Oh - About German Stamps/Coins/Medals. If you can get them in front of German buyers on eBay you can sometimes do quite well. So I've made quite a bit off of German "junk drawer" type of mystery lots before.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's nothing like finding something that was believed lost, liking the collection and the medals.
Stamps have sure lost their appeal from what they commanded decades ago. There was an online estate sale that the guy had amassed a huge collection, to the point where the receiver loaded a trailer up of just stamps. There was over 200 plastic bins of just the mixed stamps that went up for sale. Kind of crazy the size of the collection and what the sale prices were.MaxSold - Kingston (Ontario, Canada) July Special Stamp and Estate Online Auction - Innovation Drive

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's nothing like finding something that was believed lost, liking the collection and the medals.
Stamps have sure lost their appeal from what they commanded decades ago. There was an online estate sale that the guy had amassed a huge collection, to the point where the receiver loaded a trailer up of just stamps. There was over 200 plastic bins of just the mixed stamps that went up for sale. Kind of crazy the size of the collection and what the sale prices were.MaxSold - Kingston (Ontario, Canada) July Special Stamp and Estate Online Auction - Innovation Drive

Countries like Canada, England, France, Scandinavian countries and few others still have some nice stamps. US stamps the last 10 - 20 are just junk...like the garbage the United Arab Emirates used to put out just for amateur stamp collectors. I have stopped collecting anything new unless it comes in the mail and pretty much stop at WW-2 in terms of interest.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find a match for the "Stadt Traunstien" medal bit it roughly translates to "for long years of loyal service" It's
Bavarian and I'd imagine it was a gift for 25 years of work or membership in some organization.... I'll keep looking around because now I'm intrigued by it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread