Im a newb at hunting First nickel box

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
$100 nickel box
I'm at work so don't have exact dates of some but the main ones are
2x 1942 P war nickels
1x 1939 no mint mark nickel
probably around 10-15 1950-1960
is there any specific dates or things I really need to look for?
I am keeping 60 and older nickels If I'm not mistaken S mint mark is the rarest?
Or does that depend on the year?
I think my 39 is also double died on the Monticello building but its not that great of shape
if Maybe when I get back to the house ill post a pic and get opinions
whats the common ratio before finding a buff or a V? I know I have a lot more to go.

Thanks and if you have any tips plz let them fly.
I hit one bank up and they said I couldn't come in and get boxes all the time and they wont order for me. it was a smaller bank should I try a large bank in my area? or do they normal charge for this service.

Upvote 0

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
Welcome to the board, baltax! Enjoy the camaraderie and ignore the grumps, of which there are many :tongue3:

Conventional wisdom is, keep all pre-60's until you haev a complete collection, then just keep your 38 and 39 branch mints, 1950-D (and maybe 1950-P too), and your war nicks.

I personally always save my 2009 nicks as well. They are already scarce and were minted at less than 10% of a typical mintage year.

OP
OP
B

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
thanks For the greetings and the info.
anyone with some basic guidelines for penny's too
im doing this as more of a hobby so probably no half ordering or quarters.
im 21yr old college student so $1000 in quarter box is a bit much lol

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
B

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
yea I read through that article just seeing if any other tid bits out there thanks

just getting started is the hard part getting settled for banks that will order and give you boxes. ive had two banks tell me they are not aloud to give out boxes. Seems rude as you all say rude banks become dump banks.
happy hunting you have a new lifer right here.

jlr1076

Nov 17, 2010
By "grumps" do you mean people who point others in the right direction to answer questions instead of starting new threads for everything? Because if so, consider me one of those grumps.

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
jlr, no, I mean people who like to get into peeing contests over marked coin, dump etiquette, talk geopolitics, etc.
A newbie looking for advice can get pretty overwhelmed by some of these firefights.

OP
OP
B

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
Thx again I dont take jerks to heart anyways :-)
I have.read that article the link was to already before I posted
Just figured maybe some of you pro hunters had some other beginner tips I'm
Open ears
Any good books?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baltax said:
Thx again I dont take jerks to heart anyways :-)
I have.read that article the link was to already before I posted
Just figured maybe some of you pro hunters had some other beginner tips I'm
Open ears
Any good books?
Nice start to being on the forum. Calling people names you don't know. :icon_scratch: Make sure the 1942 nickels have the large mint mark on the back. Not all are silver.
HH
enamel7

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting 2 war nickels in one box is very good. I also keep all nickels 1960 and older.....Matt

OP
OP
B

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
Oh you misunderstood me wasnt calling that guy a jerk just stating I dont let jerks get to me. Ive been on many forums they all have them.

Also are P mint war coins the most common? I got another $80 in nickles yesterday and got another this time 43 though still p.
also two more 39s and a almost perfect 69 s looked to good to throw out

OP
OP
B

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
im new to this but im almost positive that if the nickel is 42 and has a p above the montecello building then its war. there is also a plain 42 which was minted in the beginning of the year from "P" that wasnt a war nickel. Hence I have a plain 42 and 42 that has a p above the building. correct me if im wrong plz. If I am I will cry because that means I only have 2 war nickels instead of 4 lol.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
baltax said:
im new to this but im almost positive that if the nickel is 42 and has a p above the montecello building then its war. there is also a plain 42 which was minted in the beginning of the year from "P" that wasnt a war nickel. Hence I have a plain 42 and 42 that has a p above the building. correct me if im wrong plz. If I am I will cry because that means I only have 2 war nickels instead of 4 lol.
You are correct. If the mint mark is over the dome it is a war nickel. This is what happens when folks post info that they don't know. there were regular 42s and silver clad. That's why I asked earlier if they had the mint mark or not. Great finds!
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
B

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
Yup I thought I was correct Thx for reassurence.
Yea I was pleased with that box of nickels also my second.box had two buffs lol but very bad shape still cool lol 3rd box skunked had to happen eventually

etfonehome4

Jan 7, 2011
sorry. I implied that they had no mint mark. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Yes, If they have a mint mark above Monticello, then they're silver :)

again sorry for the confusion. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread