Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm Conflicted and Need Advice

I'm new to all the latest equipment and am going through the common dilemma of choosing a good MD. I really need the expert advice found on this forum.

I live in Florida and most of my MD'ing will be done in sand based soil for coins, jewelry and relics. Even central FL soil is sandy. I will also be hunting on beaches as they are close. We get a lot of rain as you might know so I like the waterproof feature of the ATpro but I think the multiple frequency capability of the Xterra is a real plus if I understand what I've read. If the Xterra were waterproof there would be no doubt in my mind.

Question: Is the multiple frequency capability that big of an advantage over the ATpro and is the Xterra that vulnerable to moisture damage? I don't plan to submerse the entire unit while MD'ing but who knows where this hobby will lead?

Thank you

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected in the rain with my Xterra on a couple of occasions. Just got caught in it and didn't want to pack it in. Keep the control box covered well and protected. It's not a water machine....but as long it's protected ok I never had any issues with a little rain....TR

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to be hunting the beaches, you should definitely go for the AT Pro. Hunting beaches without getting in the water will definitely limit you. I use my ATP at Galveston and adjust the ground balance manually to quite the salt chatter and use it wading. Just my opinion.

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw a shower cap on your Fisher CZ-3D, grab a shovel, a rain coat, and get digging.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ColonelDan, If you plan on doing any amount of detecting in wet salt sand, a multi frequency unit is probably your best bet. Single frequency machines have a difficult time in the highly conductive salt conditions. Minelab machines have the most options in the multi frequency area. Please note, the Xterra 705 is a single frequency machine that has the capability of using three different frequencies with a change of the coil, but only one frequency at a time. It is a great detector, but probably not the best choice for wet salt sand.
The Minelab Safari, Etrac, or CTX 3030 are all multi frequency, and would all be good options. The CTX is also fully submersible in up to 10 ft. of water, but is also the most $$$. They are all visual display detectors. The Whites V3i also transmits 3 frequencies simultaneously or you can operate it in any of the single frequencies alone if you choose, with the push of a button or two. Not sure how well it does in wet salt sand. Any of those machines would be a great all around choice for the type of detecting you described.
Not sure what your budget is, but, of the multi freq. units mentioned above the Safari is the cheapest. I operate up north in fresh water conditions so some of the folks in your neck of the woods can probably give you the best advise for your area. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICE!

Last edited:

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your budget allows for it. Get a Fisher CZ21, hands down, one of the very best!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My M6 handles wet sand very well, I can put the coil in the salt water but not the rest of it. If I'm in the rain I put zip bags on it and duct tape the ends.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It isn't just the rain and wet weather you need to worry about. Your detector will need to be set down on the wet ground many, many times.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Thank you all very much for your input. Locater, I will certainly consider the Minelab detectors you suggested. Fortunately, I live only about 10 miles from Kellyco so it seems its time for a trip to their main store.

Thanks again...

CD

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
K co is just around the corner for me as well. You will need a 2 freq machine for the salt... my DFX works fine in the wet, but chances since the beach is so close you will probably buy a dedicated water machine too. Where are ya at? Fern Park here.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably the best saltwater machine is the Minelab Excalibur, hands down. Note to you folks who hunt in the rain with an AT Pro, the land headphones supplied by Garrett are not waterproof and will deteriorate and eventually fail if used in heavy or continuous rain. The Amphibian phones by Detector Pro are the best alternative for such use.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to be hunting Florida's saltwater beaches get the excal, it has 17 different frequencies it uses to chose the best freq for your conditions, all beaches are different even the same beach can change conditions..

There is a lot of iron trash on Florida beaches the excal will tell you when it is iron and will tell you when there is gold below that iron...

What ever way you go good luck....

NW Orlando here......

3%

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Thank you Treasure Hunter. I'll look at the Excalibur. I appreciate the advice.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey ColonelDan,
It kind of looks like this thread has morphed into the water detector realm. While both the CZ21 and Excal. are excellent detectors, they are primarily water detectors and work very well on the beach also. They aren't the best choice for land based detecting as you indicated you primarily intend on, plus, "hunting on beaches".

If hunting IN the water is a consideration, then you may want to think about getting a detector for land based detecting, and a dedicated water detector. It is very important to know what your detecting environment will be when deciding on a detector. If land based detecting and hunting "on" the beach remains your intent, the multi freq. machines mentioned earlier would be your best bet. If you want one detector for both applications the CTX 3030 operates in water and on land, but, it is also very costly.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal works just as well on land as in the water, I used my excal many times hunting land, the draw back on the excal for land is the weight, using a custom straight shaft and or a harness corrects that issue.

Remember there is very little difference in the Excal and the Sovereign GT in electronics other than Sov GT has a couple more options.. Sov GT is a fantastic land and beach detector, but controls are not waterproof is all..

Anyone hunting in Florida should always consider the water option first, there is far more potential there for jewelry, old coins and Spanish treasure than on land here....

Just my opinion....

3%

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Thanks to all for the input. I don't plan on going INTO the water just on the water's edge water or dipping the coil into very shallow water at most. My scuba days have long passed! :D

Based on what you all have told me, I called Kellyco and talked with Steve. I described what I planned to do and where. Since we're both central Florida residents, he was well tuned in to my objectives. He suggested the Minelab Safari would suit my needs very well. I'll drive over there and check it out...along with a lot of other equipment I'm going to need I'm sure!

Thanks again to all...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the input. I don't plan on going INTO the water just on the water's edge water or dipping the coil into very shallow water at most. My scuba days have long passed! :D

Based on what you all have told me, I called Kellyco and talked with Steve. I described what I planned to do and where. Since we're both central Florida residents, he was well tuned in to my objectives. He suggested the Minelab Safari would suit my needs very well. I'll drive over there and check it out...along with a lot of other equipment I'm going to need I'm sure!

Thanks again to all...

Just so you know we find far more jewelry in the water knee to chest deep than on the beach....

If your positive your not going in the water have Kellyco also show you the Sovereign GT, same price, it will out hunt excal on wet salt sand and is great land detector....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ColonelDam, I like your, "I'm Conflicted and Need Advice." An educated man. Treasure_Hunter and Locator gave excellent advice. I have hunted up and down the east coast and Florida to Galveston. The Sov. GT is the king of beach and wet sand as Treasure Hunter said. Place a plastic baggie over the controls of any land detector if you choose to go that route. The Excalibur II has a couple less features than the GT but is the water version. The CTX 3030 is the way to go if you have the $$$ and only want one detector. But what's the fun in only having ONE. Your lucky in being able to visit Kellyco and hold the different types. Years ago we didn't have that option.

For hunting wet and dry sand your going to need a good scoop and Kellyco has many but my main water scoop, but you won't need a Sunspot Stealth till you water hunt, and you will soon as that is where most of the gold jewelry is located and deposited. A scoop with a screen sifter is way better that one with holes in it for sifting out the sand quickly and a long handle for saving the back. For non water use I like the RTG Beachmaster scoop which I think Kellyco carries. You can push it into the wet sand easy and a couple shakes and you take out the item. Save your trash as you don't want to dig it up again. Learn more about beach hunting here at this site by the master that taught me. http://web.archive.org/web/20080202045558/http://thegoldenolde.com/
Beachmaster.JPG This is the Beachmaster scoop.
We the People.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread