Im Confused

tnfishdaddy

Oct 12, 2005
Upper East Tennessee
I'm Confused

Okay, all the penny talk has got me thinking. After searching ebay, 90% pennies are selling for a fair profit. Maybe I need to start saving them. So I look through a pile of pennies sitting around the house. Now I have a small pile of 1982s and I am not sure which pile they go in. Are they 90% or not? Red book makes me think they could be either. If this is the case, I guess I need to throw them in the no good pile. Is this true? This is becoming a lot of work for a bunch of pennies. :D

Upvote 0

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
Re: I'm Confused

1982's seem to sort out at 75% copper & 25% zinc.

Ryedale

Feb 3, 2007
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

Of course theres the obvious solution (a machine) but other hand sorters use two methods. Find a hard table or tile, and do a "ring" test. Drop the penny (compare it to known zinc and known copper) if it's zinc it has a dull clink sound, if it's copper it has a distinct ring with sustain till it hits again and quits moving. Your ear will learn which is which. You can even close your eyes to test a bunch, and then a scale to see how accurate you are.
Other option a $10 scale from harbor freight. Good gram scale shows 3.1g for coppers and 2.5 or 2.6g for zinc.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you have a metal detector, use it to check them out. Then find a 1981 and older penny to compare it to where it reads on your meter. That will tell you if it is a copper or plated zinc. On my DFX the pre-81 memorial cents always read higher.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mid-Mich)

Ryedale

Feb 3, 2007
Kalamazoo MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT

Scott (Mid-Mich) said:
If you have a metal detector, use it to check them out. Then find a 1981 and older penny to compare it to where it reads on your meter. That will tell you if it is a copper or plated zinc. On my DFX the pre-81 memorial cents always read higher.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mid-Mich)

Good call Scott. My MXT reads higher on the vdm if it's copper. I think it even reads Zinc Cent on the display while waving the coil.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Some people who hand sort just ignore the 1982's since they are too much time for what you're gaining.

But if you do decide to sort them, there is also another low tech method which was mentioned on Tnet awhile back which I have used successfully.

You will need a ruler and a pencil (I would recommend the ones with the multiple flat sides).

Step 1) Place the pencil on a flat level surface.
Step 2) Balance the ruler on the pencil such that weight of the ruler is equal on both sides. (neither side of the ruler is touching the surface)
Step 3) Place a match coin on one end of the ruler (either a known copper or a known zincoln).
Step 4) Place a test coin on the other end of the ruler the same distance from the end as the match coin.
Step 5) If the two coins are of the same type, the ruler will balance or move very slowly to one side. If the two mismatch, the copper should pull that side down quicker.

There are probably better methods to do this test, but this one works for me. Biggest problem is speed as it is not fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions