47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm feeling like I may be getting the shaft

I'm having issues with my Andeson Straight Shaft. Specifically the lower shaft. (This thread could go down hill quickly) I can't seem to keep the part that is connected to the coil to stay in the shaft. What should I do? Get a whole new shaft? Lower shaft? Or is there a new shaft that is out that is the next greatest thing. Any recommendations are welcome.

My my rig is a hip mounted excal 2 so I'm not swinging anything heavy

Upvote 0

Ham

Apr 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you make one out of pvc or cpvc? It may not look as nice but may work.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either the larger plastic bolt that connects the coil to the lower shaft is stripped, or you need to replace the friction washers that fit between the coil and the lower shaft. If you cannot maintain enough friction your search coil will flop around and will be difficult to hold parallel the the ground when sweeping the search coil parallel to the ground while searching for targets.

You can purchase the coil bolt and friction washers from a mine lab dealer as well as a non metalic lower shaft which is stock for either the Sovereign or the Excalibur.
You can also purchase a composit lower shaft from Anderson, which is lighter and
most likely stronger and will wear better.

The other end of the lower shaft slides inside the longer upper shaft the selected hole for desired height in the upper shaft which a stainless steel pin pops into.
The desired height is then ostiviley secured by both tightening the compression coupling as well as screwing in the long external bolt which is in the middle of tpe compression coupling.

Stainless steel pins connect the control and battery pods to the upper shaft.
I prefer to use the plastic bolts used to seat toilet to the floor, which can be purchase at any hardware store, instead of the stock stainless steel pins as the plastic bolts are more secure and will not pop loose in strong currents or wave actions - though they are not as pretty.

I do not recommend hip mounting for shallow water detecting, as the extra cable required can easily tangle.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If it is an Anderson Shaft, contact Anderson.

If it is a Minelab Shaft...expoxy it back together.

Anderson has both fiberglass and carbon fiber shafts.

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
If it is an Anderson Shaft, contact Anderson.

If it is a Minelab Shaft...expoxy it back together.

Anderson has both fiberglass and carbon fiber shafts.

And the carbon fiber version is really good, I use both, the over under long shaft and the over under short shaft (scuba version). They really did a great job for the price :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread