Im getting back in

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
I'm getting back in

I've planned on getting back in the military ever since I got out. I have been putting it off for the past week. Deciding to call, then deciding to wait. I finally called my old unit headquarters a couple of hours ago. They are supposed to be in touch in the next couple of days. I really want to go back overseas. I would also like to transfer to the 82nd or 101st. I don't know anything about this process, so I figured I would just call my unit because you have to start somewhere.
I was Louisiana National Guard for nine years, and spent 13 months in Iraq, right before I E'd TS. Does anyone know how easy it would be to change from being a truck driver to infantry? Also, do you know if it is easy to volunteer for a rotation in Iraq?
Thanks,
Bernard, Clifton, E-4 type

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500
Re: I'm getting back in

Hi. I did 7 years in the La. Army National Guard in the 80's. I was a combat engineer and a truck driver. If it hasn't changed everyone is considered infantry and then you have a MOS. I happened to have 2- 62 J and 63 C . This was because while I was in Boot and AIT my unit changed from combat engineer to transportation. The recruiter for your local unit should be able to answer your questions.

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used

Yeah, then I can just "thank my recruiter".
I know it's gonna suck, and I'm getting tired of the old goat any way.
I look at it like swallowing a bitter pill. Once you make the commitment, it's all down hill. You can quit a job, but you can't quit the military. I figure looking back in a few years will have a little extra flavor, HA, if I've got an All American patch or a Screaming Eagle. I just miss shooting big guns, and being the biggest baddest MFer on the highway.

Ya'll got me thinkin' about something though.
l a t e r,
Cliff

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I was out for 5 years and came back in . Life just seemed boring after I got out . I think if you want to go to Iraq ,you will have no problem.LOL I am there right now until next month . :thumbsup: Good luck and hope you get the job you want. By the way , the Air Guard is hiring now also . I am here with some of those guys also. They like it pretty good and get some good back fill slots to Europe on occasion.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

Ever since the ramp up senior NCOs of all MOS have been funneled into the infantry. The 82nd and 101st both have truck drivers so getting in is no problem. From there you can volunteer for jump school with any MOS and go on to ranger or special forces if you want to. Rangers and special forces feed army troops into Delta Force; navy feeds them seals and air force and marines also feed into delta. good luck and godspeed, siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used

Where would your dream place be to be stationed? I want to go to a foriegn country, and crackbadgers finds have me thinking Asia. I think I would like Germany just because. Where are spme good places for metal detecting?

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

1996 said:
Where would your dream place be to be stationed? I want to go to a foriegn country, and crackbadgers finds have me thinking Asia. I think I would like Germany just because. Where are spme good places for metal detecting?

I vacationed in Germany and know MANY folks there who detected...

I lived in korea and there are folks on T-Net who live and detect there... I wish I could try that! I never tried while there.

I was in Spain and never tried to detect but wished I could have...

Man... ANYPLACE in Europe...

Frankly - I'd MOST love to get into some celler hole diggin' in Pennsylvania. :tongue3:

point hunter

Feb 1, 2007
West Monroe, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI 2500

You took the words out of my mouth. That's exactly what I thought when he asked where to be stationed. I would have to add anywhere in the south pacific also. I can just imagine the number of historic finds waiting to be dug up. It almost makes me want to join back up too. I wish now that I was metal detecting when I was still in. Good luck and keep us posted about what you decide!

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1996 said:

I was stationed in Schwabish Gmuend Germany in a Pershing Missle unit for three years. Best assignment unless you were a barracks rat. No MDing at the time but did a lot of travel and fests.
My oldest was a Mechanic with the 101st in Iraq (Mosual) re-enlisted as Infantry and went back to Iraq (Ramadi) with the 1st Armored Div out of Baumholder Germany, although he was injured and received a medical retirement (not discharge) due to an IED, he still says Infantry was the best for him.
Good luck on your decision.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.

1996 said:

Germany maybe out. Many of our troops have been pulled out of Germany and forward deployed to Poland. There is a polish tnet member. Check out some of his finds. You may be able to get Europe after a tour in jihadistan if you have time left on your enlistment. Go in for the minimum term and then reenlist for the bonus and the duty or training assignment that you want. siegfried schlagrule.

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
1996 said:
Go in for the minimum term and then reenlist for the bonus and the duty or training assignment that you want. siegfried schlagrule.

That seems like a really good idea. More time in equals back in the loop. IDK what they are offering bonuses for or what right now. Maybe I'll know where I want to go in a year.

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used

Just an update on the reenlistment situation. My recruiter said that because I have 3 DWIs that his higher ups don't want to let me back in. He says that since they are over 3 years old, they are not supposed to be a problem.

My Ex-wifes step dad died a couple of days ago from complications with his heart. Hard core worker, smoker and drinker for many years. I think he was in his mid 50s. He use to be a mechanic on the many oil pumping units in Nebo, LA, and was always stressed out. He was a real nice guy, and strong as an OX.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is a process (depending on your classification when you got out), to possibly straighten out any issues - especially civilian.

However, when you start talking 82nd or 101st - they have different, specific qualifications all the way from moral issues to your eyesight.

As far as overcoming DWI's (3 years IS supposed to be a magic number, but a lot of recruiters don't want to do the work, if they think you might not want to do the work) that it takes to overcome the issues. If you had a felony - that's a different tune. Here is a little reading.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/conte...s/military_justice/lautenberg-amendment.shtml

B

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used

All I see is a bunch of red tape.

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois

Hey, 1996! Good luck on your venture. Hope everything works out for you. I wish I was young enough to get back in, but, alas, way over the hill for that. LOL Spent 6 years in the Air Force from '69 to mid '75. Actually loved every minute of it. Looking back, wish I'd never gotten out. But you know how hindsite is. Again, good luck! God Bless Our Vets!! Love 'em all! rayc50

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

1996, If your recruiter won't do the leg work, go to another recruiter or your nearest MEPS station.
bad part, if I remember right, after 5 years you have to do basic again. I'm not sure on rank.
also, not everyone is infantry. basic training is just that, basic. I was 11BC attached with 10th Mountain, Ft. Drum. if you're infantry your AIT is designed for infantry, advanced hand to hand, extensive map and topo,
cross training on numerous weapons, living in the wild with nothing but your brains to keep you company,
you know, all the fun stuff
I hope you make it, you sound like you really want to. Good luck

Sniffer
D71 Mad dogs

OP
OP

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used

Yeah, I definitely want to make it. I do really, really want to get back in ( I shaved my goat in Decemner if that counts for anything). But I really, really have to also.
I sure didn't think you had to go through basic again, but I can't imagine it being as hard this time as it was last time. Maybe it (going back through basic) is after you have been out for five years. I can't imagine someone being in 5 years getting out and then having to go through basic again to get back in. HA, I haven't taken a PT test since 1997. That's something I took a great deal of pride in while I was in the military.
I think that the recruiter is genuinely trying, but running into a lot of road blocks. I'm a felon and countless other unagreeable things. Before anyone gives me the speech about giving it up because they don't let felons blah, blah, blah. I've heard it a million times and believe where there is a will there is a way. I have faith in the recruiter's abilities, but I have been thinking about trying to get in touch with wherever I think I want to end up to see if they could do any work from their end. I have thought about HI for the beaches but Asia sounds good to me to. If anybody on here thinks they could do anything, don't be bashful, shoot me a line. I would like to be stationed out of country, though.
alright,
later,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread