Im hooked on field hunting, LARGE copper???

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hooked on field hunting, LARGE copper???

Yesterday I was walking the field behind my house hoping to find an arrowhead. My detector
needed repair and after last weeks find I just had to give this a try. After an hour or so I found
one. I'm already used to walking around looking at the ground, that's the easy part getting lucky
to spot one or parts of one is the hard part. Worked on my detector and back again I went today.
With in 5 minutes I hear a screamer and I could see a small knob of green sticking out of the dirt.
WOW a large chunk of copper, heavy, no way was this going in my pouch. It weighs just over 7Lbs..
Could this be an Indian Artifact? I did not clean it. Thanks for looking DFW.

DSCN0700.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0701.JPG
    DSCN0701.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 500
  • DSCN0704.JPG
    DSCN0704.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 523
  • DSCN0705.JPG
    DSCN0705.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 502
  • DSCN0697.JPG
    DSCN0697.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 492
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dirt fishing Wolf

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm hooked on field hunting, LARGE copper???

joshuaream said:
Is it hollow? For the size 7lbs is very light.

I don't think its hollow.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

Maybe I was wrong. As a point of reference, a pop can made of solid copper would weigh just over 7lbs. That looks more massive than a coke can, but it's not a regular shape.

I'm not sure what it is, most of the hammered copper blanks that I've seen from Canada, Wisconsin and Michigan were thinner than that.

Cool piece.

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

It's... it's... a copper heart! Just joking! It's cool, whatever it is. :icon_thumleft: does copper come that big and solid in a natural form?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

What was the make-up of the field you found it in? Were there other similar sized rocks in the immediate area? It's possible that it's purely natural, deposited in a glacial morain, carried down from the great lakes region by glaciers. However, if that were the case I'd think there should be other out of area rocks in the fields. If the field is largely devoid of similar sized rocks I'd lean towards it being brought there by the hand of man. Do you find any historic artifacts in the area? A chunk of copper that size I would think if historic would have accompanying artifacts.

OP
OP
Dirt fishing Wolf

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Twitch said:
What was the make-up of the field you found it in? Were there other similar sized rocks in the immediate area? It's possible that it's purely natural, deposited in a glacial morain, carried down from the great lakes region by glaciers. However, if that were the case I'd think there should be other out of area rocks in the fields. If the field is largely devoid of similar sized rocks I'd lean towards it being brought there by the hand of man. Do you find any historic artifacts in the area? A chunk of copper that size I would think if historic would have accompanying artifacts.

This field is flat. Yes there are similar size rock in the field. My first thought was its man made because its very
smooth and sort of pear shaped, and fits in the palm of my hand. The glacial ice would have done the same.
Many arrowheads have been found in this area, to the north and the south of me. Thanks

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

thats cool rich, if you put that thing in your pouch you'd be doing the pants on the ground dance.

OP
OP
Dirt fishing Wolf

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

marinedad said:
thats cool rich, if you put that thing in your pouch you'd be doing the pants on the ground dance.

:laughing9:

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008

It's a big chunk of natural float copper. They were brought down by the glaciers during the last ice age. Some of the guys up north in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota get a ton of nuggets that size and they are much more common up there.

Hippy

OP
OP
Dirt fishing Wolf

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks everyone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread