Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just gonna throw this out there Garrett Groundhog owners

I just gotta know if there was ANYONE, back in the day when the Groundhog was popular. Did anyone else ever modify the battery tray so that the 2 spare batteries were being used in the function? LOL

I did mine and it worked very well for me. I still have my Groundhog AND it still works!! :) Not bad for over 30 years! LOL

But, that's not the point of this post. I came up with and made this modification way back then and have always wondered if anyone else ever did. :)

Thanks!
HH!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo_camera.gif
How about some pictures WHADIFIND.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I had the Groundhog, starting in about '79 or '80. And no, I did not modify those extra 2 slots to accept the battery juice. Didn't even think of it. But, afterall, there's a resistor in the system. So it wouldn't matter what voltage you fed into it. It wouldn't have fed you more power or more depth, d/t the resistor in the system. There were rumors at the time that you could by-pass the system and snip the resistor, in order the deliver more power, or something like that. But honestly ...... what good would that do someone now, 30+ yrs. later? The machine is a dinsaour by all regards.

Of all the VLF/TR's of that era, that was one of the good or better ones (smoother, sounded good, etc...). But, as with any VLF/TR, they are woefully dated.

The 6000D (and red-baron, etc..) came out in about 1978 (the cross-over years) and I wish to to h*ck I'd gotten one of those, instead of this durned groundhog. But at the time, when it was comical to see some "swinging fast" and there was no internet to have fast access to consumer reviews and such, info was slow-in-coming. Thus there were a few stubborn dodos of us who didn't make the transition till we could see for ourselves the differences in those hunting in our "stomping grounds". doh!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about some pictures WHADIFIND.

Naw, no pics needed. Anyone who ever had the Groundhog knows of the 2 spare battery slots. :dontknow: not important.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the Groundhog, starting in about '79 or '80. And no, I did not modify those extra 2 slots to accept the battery juice. Didn't even think of it. But, afterall, there's a resistor in the system. So it wouldn't matter what voltage you fed into it. It wouldn't have fed you more power or more depth, d/t the resistor in the system. There were rumors at the time that you could by-pass the system and snip the resistor, in order the deliver more power, or something like that. But honestly ...... what good would that do someone now, 30+ yrs. later? The machine is a dinsaour by all regards.

Of all the VLF/TR's of that era, that was one of the good or better ones (smoother, sounded good, etc...). But, as with any VLF/TR, they are woefully dated.

The 6000D (and red-baron, etc..) came out in about 1978 (the cross-over years) and I wish to to h*ck I'd gotten one of those, instead of this durned groundhog. But at the time, when it was comical to see some "swinging fast" and there was no internet to have fast access to consumer reviews and such, info was slow-in-coming. Thus there were a few stubborn dodos of us who didn't make the transition till we could see for ourselves the differences in those hunting in our "stomping grounds". doh!

Like I said, I was just musing about it and wondered if anyone did, that's all.

Actually, I didn't wire it for more power, just hooked it up so it would give the transmit side 4 batteries rather than 2. What it did was extend that side's power level. The receive side didn't use as much power so what I got was longer use of the batteries. :)

I got the idea because the circuit board for the batteries, (the tray), already had the wiring in place for using the batteries, just wasn't connected.

About the change over period? Maybe it was just my skill at hearing the signals but I smoked everyone else I ever hunted with, no matter what they were using at the time. I did have a 10 inch disk though. :)

No biggie, just reminiscing.

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions