Im new, and could use some advice

JTnew

Greenie
Mar 12, 2010
I'm new, and could use some advice

Ok, first thing is first.

1) What are the essential supplies I should grab in addition to the detector itself?

2) What detector is a good one for me to use?

So I'm new. I have a slightly above beginner level knowledge of what I'm doing, but this is the first time I've used a metal detector after having panned gold. I've done a good amount of reading. Anyway, I have some excellent spots picked out in the woods (camping spots, rivers, etc) from a historical area of my state. I'm mainly look for coins, rings, and (fingers crossed) a gold nugget or two. The area is a gold rush area, and doesn't have any war history. I've heard about an ACE 250, but would it likely be what I'm best fit for?

3) Any general tips or pointers for a newbie?

4) So I find a bunch of muddy objects... are there any certain things that I should avoid washing off with water because I could damage them?

5) Is there a certain accepted process for cleaning old coins?

6) Let's say I have an area in the middle of nowhere where I've found arrowheads and other Indian things (shaved "tool" rocks and such). Did many Western Indian tribes work with metals all that often? Is it worth combing over?

7) Thanks for the help. Feel free to add anything that you think I might find helpful.

Upvote 0

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: I'm new, and could use some advice

If you're searching in the areas from the Rocky Mountains westward, get a White's or a Fisher. Stay away from Garrett, Nautilus, and Minelab. The soil really kills their depth-potential, cherry-picking, and discrimination abilities here. A low end White's might be the best bet for a novice.

LL

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Welcome to the forum. You are on the right track and should do more searching on the major manufacturers websites to learn as much as you can about what they offer. You should also check out the Silver Umax from Tesoro as it is easy to learn an many experienced hunters like them.

All your other questions can be found in many of the good books on metal detecting as it would take to long to state here. A nail apron with two sides, goodie and trash sides is cheap. A screw driver to pop the coins without damaging the ground. NO Shovels allowed.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Welcome to the forum and this great hobby. Some advice that I can give you is to know your local laws. Most school and parks are ok to hunt but some areas have different rules. Check out Cleaning & Preservation on Treasurenet on how to clean your finds. If you find a key date coin you must never clean it until you ask first and most will tell you to not clean it. Everybody has different opinions on machines and they all give sound advice. All machines take time to learn and master. I know a lot of people have started out with the Ace 250 and have found a lot of coins and such. I don't know how it does on gold nuggets like you said you like to look for. I would check out Whites and Minelab and I am sure Garrett probably has a machine as well. If I am missing a manufacturer that does good on gold nuggets I am sure someone will add that one as well. You may want to invest in a pinpointer. I use the Harbor Freights model as it only cost about $16 and does just as good as my friends $100 model. I use knee pads as well. If you hunt a spot that has a lot of targets you will be glad you had them. You can add things as you go. I carry a box of zip locks to put some of my finer finds in. Other things are extra batteries, plastic bags in case you are caught in rain, nail pouch, head phones are a must, soft toothbrush and my list goes on and on. Always ask permission before hunting private land or any property you are unfamiliar with. Never hunt on state and national parks or places on the historical registry. I also would recommend checking out a local club in your area. You will find most of your help there and meet some nice people to hunt with. I hope this helps.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

If you can swing it,money wise,I think the MXT is the way to go.Great all around.If funds are a concern then I agree with sandman on the silver.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

warsawdaddy said:
If you can swing it,money wise,I think the MXT is the way to go.Great all around.If funds are a concern then I agree with sandman on the silver.

I would get a good digging tool, the investment is worth it in the long run, and never leave any hole you dig unfilled.

Digtools-49_LG.jpg

http://www.kellycodetectors.com/acc...rch-Froogle&utm_medium=cpc&CAWELAID=363033492

GG~

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

regarding your question #6: The north american indians had no refined metals, with one exception: some in the upper midwest had crude copper/bronze. So if you're "out west" as you say (you don't say which state, but I suspect this is true for the entire west), no: pre-contact indians here had no metals of their own.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Make sure you hunt with respect and ask permission. Fill in every hole no matter if it is in a public park or a construction site. Practice clean recoveries and carry a trash bag.

If you want to hunt nuggets then I suggest that you get a nugget machine for that, and if you want to hunt coins find a coin machine for that. Tesoro has many machines that would work OK for both but I am not so sure you would be completely happy with a combination machine. My first machine was a Tesoro Bandito II and you had to manually ground balance and it was a nice machine. I now own a Minelab and I have been sold on them over and over. I hunted very close to the Great Salt Lake and it was the only machine capable of hunting the area because of the mineralization. No one will be able to tell me they are not fantastic machines.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro

I would do alot more reading as all the answer to anything you need to know are in these forums. As far as machine goes it depends on how much you are able to spend. If you are limited to less then $500 then an Ace 250 plus a propointer(Garrett pinpointer) and tools is probably a good way to start. You wont find nuggets tho unless they are huge and near the surface. The Ace does work well for the $$. If you have a little larger budget a new or used MXT or Exterra 70 may be a better choice as both have prospecting modes and are more sensitive to smaller gold. I have used both but I like the X 70 cause it's lightweight and you can switch coils to get different frequencies, but again don't plan on digging silver coins deeper then 5 or 6 inches because they are just not that deep. Regardless of what you buy take the time to learn the machine. If it has a manual ground balance you have to learn to balance it or you won't find much. I would stay away from high end stuff or nugget only machines until you feel you have a need for greater depth in your area. If you are just going to hunt parks look for technique videos here and on youtube so you can learn proper recovery methods, ie not leaving holes and dead grass. Always get permission or only hunt legal areas and welcome.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First of all I do not work for T-Net.

The best investment I've made so far was to become a charter member. I've gained more from this site in a few months that would have taken years to learn in the field.
You'll be able to answer every one of your questions right here.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

treasurehound said:
Welcome to the forum and this great hobby. Some advice that I can give you is to know your local laws. Most school and parks are ok to hunt but some areas have different rules. Check out Cleaning & Preservation on Treasurenet on how to clean your finds. If you find a key date coin you must never clean it until you ask first and most will tell you to not clean it. Everybody has different opinions on machines and they all give sound advice. All machines take time to learn and master. I know a lot of people have started out with the Ace 250 and have found a lot of coins and such. I don't know how it does on gold nuggets like you said you like to look for. I would check out Whites and Minelab and I am sure Garrett probably has a machine as well. If I am missing a manufacturer that does good on gold nuggets I am sure someone will add that one as well. You may want to invest in a pinpointer. I use the Harbor Freights model as it only cost about $16 and does just as good as my friends $100 model. I use knee pads as well. If you hunt a spot that has a lot of targets you will be glad you had them. You can add things as you go. I carry a box of zip locks to put some of my finer finds in. Other things are extra batteries, plastic bags in case you are caught in rain, nail pouch, head phones are a must, soft toothbrush and my list goes on and on. Always ask permission before hunting private land or any property you are unfamiliar with. Never hunt on state and national parks or places on the historical registry. I also would recommend checking out a local club in your area. You will find most of your help there and meet some nice people to hunt with. I hope this helps.
What you said Randy!

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

Welcome to Tnet. Some good advice here. I'm not sure what the soil is like where you are and the will have a lot to do with determining which detector is best. I love my Tesoro Cibola but it doesn't do well in highly minerlized ground. Of the machines mentioned I know the MXT would be a good all around choice. Some of the others I'm not familar with. One thing I didn't see mentioned is a large pill container or a screw top half dollar size coin tube with cottonballs inside. They are good to put buttons, coins, jewelry and other small items in plus if you should dig something made of pewter you can wet the cottonballs to keep the pewter from drying out before you get it home.

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Get a machine you can afford and find enough to buy a minelab sov. gt or ex-cal for beaches

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread