Im new and need a little help

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
I went out today to a site that has been around since 1900. The house has been there since 1946 and almost all the hits I got we're small and kind of iffy and at least 10"+ deep. I only had a small hand spade and digging through roots was not easy. Then my wife was hungry so it will have to wait till another day. I am certain that no one has been over it before wit a detector.
So my problem is this: my Coin Master GT has done great until this site. I get a +50 - +95 @ 10" deep. I try to pinpoint it and it comes up as iron in the pinpoint mode. Why does this happen?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most deep targets can not be id'd correctly because of the depth. There is no getting around this with most detectors. Deep targets are weak targets and can show up as iron.

OP
OP
WilliamH

WilliamH

Dec 20, 2012
Most deep targets can not be id'd correctly because of the depth. There is no getting around this with most detectors. Deep targets are weak targets and can show up as iron.

I appreciate the input. I thought maybe my detector was off or something. I'll have to back with a bigger shovel.
Thank you Sandman!

DangerDude

Apr 6, 2013
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, BH IV, Fisher F2 and Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was have the same problem with some deep targets. I posted a thread and a member explained that the iron leaves a "halo" which gives a false signal. I've heard the term before but haven't experienced it that much till I got my ace 250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread