I'm new - and thoroughly in love with digging up old stuff

AbZeKa

Aug 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi There - I live west of Albany, NY and have started tromping around the State Forests. I have come across quite a quantity of old stone foundations, and have been finding some goodies in them. I realize to a lot of people its flat out junk (my husband), but I have the greatest time just squatting in an area and seeing glass/metal/etc just pop out at me. A friend of mine, Laura, shares the same love and this past weekend we wandered into the woods with a small shovel and a pail. A few hours later we were making our way back to the Jeep and completely fascinated by what we found. Lots of bits of glass, old crockery and lots of metal. Laura researched the bits of glass we found and shared with me, but I ended up with most of the metal bits. I have a big ole buckle, the remains of a small umbrella, the tag from an old instruments (possibly a bugle) and some other odds and ends.

So now I have a few questions - I have done some quick searches on NYS forests and I don't see where I can't dig out old stuff - but does anyone if what i'm doing is actually legal? And secondly - does anyone have a good way of cleaning up any of my metal finds? I just want to see if there is anything underneath the layers of dirt that can help me identify the little bits of stuff I have found.

Thank you so much and I look forward to reading any responses anyone has.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've found a great place for information and fellow treasure hunters -- welcome to our community!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will fit in just fine around here....welcome aboard. If you scroll the forum you will find a cleaning and preservation forum to show you how to clean your bits.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: New York for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet from Georgia. This hobby is rather addictive and it sounds as if you've got it pretty bad....or should I say good. Congrat's to you and your friend and continued success to you in your adventures.

OP
OP
A

AbZeKa

Aug 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you - I definitely found some helpful tips!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok new york is one of the weird ones. It is technically legal to detect in all state forests, but state parks usually need permit or are off limits, also wildlife management areas almost always off limits due to not being allowed to dig or disturb plant life. BUT anything over 50 years old is technically property of the state due to antiquity laws. So its kinda like yes you can, but really you can't.

OP
OP
A

AbZeKa

Aug 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh...not exactly what I was hoping to hear. Well now...sally forth, rules be damned or? Sigh. All I want to do is plant myself in the woods next to an old foundation and find things, is that too much to ask?

Thank you for the info - you have given me something to think about.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that being said though you would really have to piss off a ranger or be digging a big old hole to get bothered. Unlike my experiences of Pennsylvania forest services, new york state forest rangers don't really care about much besides hunting and offroading.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hint stay away from busy recreation areas and don't trash the place and you will be fine. I wave and smile to the rangers while detecting and they simply keep driving. There should also be tons of properties around you that are privately owned that have old cellars on them. Get a permission and then you have absolutely nothing to worry about, you can dig sift and detect to your hearts content with permission of a land owner.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard T-Net from Northern Virginia :skullflag:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Ann Arbor feel free if you ever need any help or suggestions about detecting Ill try to assist!!!!!!Tommy

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet from Ann Arbor feel free if you ever need any help or suggestions about detecting Ill try to assist!!!!!!Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread