Im only a CRH on Monday through Friday. Saturday, Garage Sale Man!

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm only a CRH on Monday through Friday. Saturday, Garage Sale Man!

I started looking around at garage sales/yard sales around the same time I started CRH. It's a nice separation - the banks are open Monday through Friday; the yard sales are Saturday (and to some extent, Sunday).

I've gotten some very nice deals at yard sales (and a lot of "skunks" too). The key is to politely ask if they have any coins. I have found that the best approach is to tell them that I'm a coin collector and ask if they have any coins. Let them decide what that means. (Some people don't have them ready or available, but I've managed to exchange phone numbers and arrange for a future meet-up to go over their stuff later.)

Anyhow, I discovered that TNET has a Garage Sale Forum. It's kind of hidden away, so the direct URL is: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/board,193.0.html

I'll try to post some of my cool Saturday finds over there.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: I'm only a CRH on Monday through Friday. Saturday, Garage Sale Man!

Man I envy you. Wish I wasn't on forced OT at work. I'd be there too.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I also garage sale, I've found a lot of good stuff this year, and made quite a bit of money by selling some of my finds. I've done better garage saling than I have roll hunting this year for sure.

RP4L

Jun 3, 2011

I've gone a few times and have found some cool things. Very rarely do I find a coin collection that is any good or isn't overpriced. However, I did find some sterling flatware once. Most of the pieces were just plated (I figured as much), but still got some good pure .925 pieces that contributed toward some new gold pieces ;)

Many of the sales around here are from military families moving.

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300

me and my son will be out of the house at 0800 to do some garage shoping

Bentfork

Jan 4, 2010
Oklahoma

I do a lot of garage sale hunts for coins and collections. Occasionally when I do manage to find someone with coins for sale, I run into the typical seller that "hasn't a clue what it's worth". They all seem to believe their 21 P Morgan is worth an outrageous sum like $500. I learned a long time ago it isn't worth wasting your breath with those folks. It's like talking to a mule. Let it go. It's funny they are having more of a "garbage sale" where most of the stuff is a dollar or two, but those silver dollars must be worth hundreds. :sign10:

Only once in the last year have I actually scored decent looking for coins at a garage sale. The person called me back (I had given him my card) and we managed to strike a deal for all his silver coins. The nickels and pennies we couldn't agree upon so I let it go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread