Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm Rich!

Hmmm.... :icon_scratch:

OK, OK.... People should not give to homeless or panhandlers because of what they want to buy with it. You should give because it is the right thing to do. So you don't like the idea of giving them money then offer to give food. If they say that's OK then they most likely don't need it and you can move on. So what if they want to get high that is their business and it will be their Karma for blowing the money on drugs. However the important thing is you had compassion for them and you gave them what you worked so hard for. To be kind, understanding and compassionate that is the real reason you should give to them. I used to be on the streets, I used to spare change for food. Sure I wanted drugs sometimes but that was normally paid for... I was sparing change for food cause all my money went to drugs. I was very upset that people making $100,000 a year can't stand to give a homeless teen a buck or two. How offten do you get asked for spare change once a year, will it kill people to give a buck or two that one time a year. I don't think so... Remember this was my past, I have changed and other people can change. Man I wish I had a metal detector back then I would not have been homeless. People need to be less greedy, less selfish, and less hateful to eachother and more compassionate and kind. People who spare change and drive off in a car, likely live in that car. Poverty is real, hunger is real. People can't always work and get help from the government if they can't work. I can tell you stories all day about things that make me sick. Things like people I know will tip a server $20 for seating them at their normal table. If a homeless person asked them for some spare change they would not give a cent. To me this is messed up but who cares right out of site out of mind. Another time I gave a homeless person $10.00 and not 15 min later I found $11.00 on the floor in a store. I made a buck in instant good karma. Be kind to everything it could be the last thing you do.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150

I lived in my car for a while too. I did not beg for money nor did I steal. I joined the US Army. Jobs are there, and agencies are available. I used to give rides to hitch hikers too until one tried to jack my car. It was just the principle of the thing.

Yes, it bothers me for someone to ask me for money for food and spend it on booze. Hell, I could spend it on beer for me, but I have a wife and a daughter and bills to pay for. Sorry, but I just do not have that much compassion in me.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A few days ago I felt guilty when I saw a man praying on the side of the road. I stopped and gave him a few bucks. I'm in San Salvador right now so a few bucks can buy a lot. The reason I felt guilty and had to stop was that it came to mind how the night before I thought nothing of tipping a dancer for doing absolutely nothing. ;D ;D

Like I said earlier, I give when the time is right. It's my money so I can choose to whom I give it to.

My company gives away free scans to extremely poor people that I can guarantee you are poorer then anybody in the USA has ever seen. Those were my orders.

On another side of the coin, I have a hard time giving people money that look physically well when I see other people that have a handicap working. I have one guy that works for me that has one arm and gets extremely mad if someone tries to help him. He is a very proud person and has worked hard to get where he is right now. He is one of my top workers.

I can understand that people can be down on their luck or young people that their parents didn't get along with them and pushed them out. Thank God I was never in that situation so I try to help out others when I can.... But I refuse to buy or give people money to buy drugs or alcohol. If they want that garbage then they can get a job and buy it. Please don't expect me to give my hard earned cents to support someone else's stupidity.....

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great gonna on the coin star cash, that's a good chunk that will get ya some gas and batteries to out detecting some more!
As for panhandling here when you do see one they are out by the street because Wal-Mart will tell them to go if they don't they would be arrested! If they are out at the edge and not trying to stop traffic they don't mess with them. Most of the time they have a sign saying will work for food, but, there was once a couple had alittle station wagon but like a Gremlin filled with groceries and they were asking for food!

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

As a 24 year volunteer for our local food pantry i can tell you all
that 95% of the "will work for food" folks are just trying to money for what ever their habit is
your money will be better spent by giving to the food pantry's who then give it to those who need the food
but even then there will be those who abuse the programs
it is those that have almost made me stop volunteering one day
I was doing the food pantry intake and it seemed it was one druggie after another
When a grandmother came in for food with her grandson age about 1 or 2
After i started to enter her information into the computer i remembered i had a small bag of cookies in the desk draw.
I showed a cookie to the grandmother and motioned towards the child.
She allowed me to give the child the cookie.
The child held the cookie and waved it all over saying "cookie cookie" over and over.
The grandmother sat and cried it had been months since the child had a cookie.
so now ever time i get discouraged i remember the grandmother
an remind my self that its better for 100 people to get over then 1 child to go hungry
i am now working on making a web site for the local food pantry it can be checked out here
http://24.105.150.158

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

OK, OK.... People should not give to homeless or panhandlers because of what they want to buy with it. You should give because it is the right thing to do. So you don't like the idea of giving them money then offer to give food. If they say that's OK then they most likely don't need it and you can move on. So what if they want to get high that is their business and it will be their Karma for blowing the money on drugs. However the important thing is you had compassion for them and you gave them what you worked so hard for. To be kind, understanding and compassionate that is the real reason you should give to them. I used to be on the streets, I used to spare change for food. Sure I wanted drugs sometimes but that was normally paid for... I was sparing change for food cause all my money went to drugs. I was very upset that people making $100,000 a year can't stand to give a homeless teen a buck or two. How offten do you get asked for spare change once a year, will it kill people to give a buck or two that one time a year. I don't think so... Remember this was my past, I have changed and other people can change. Man I wish I had a metal detector back then I would not have been homeless. People need to be less greedy, less selfish, and less hateful to eachother and more compassionate and kind. People who spare change and drive off in a car, likely live in that car. Poverty is real, hunger is real. People can't always work and get help from the government if they can't work. I can tell you stories all day about things that make me sick. Things like people I know will tip a server $20 for seating them at their normal table. If a homeless person asked them for some spare change they would not give a cent. To me this is messed up but who cares right out of site out of mind. Another time I gave a homeless person $10.00 and not 15 min later I found $11.00 on the floor in a store. I made a buck in instant good karma. Be kind to everything it could be the last thing you do.

Keep @ it and HH!!
I will say this i am compassionate to a point as well and yes i have helped people out with my time and service " need your car jumped, a ride, help moving no prob" when offered money i always turn it down and just ask them to pass the kindness forward.and giving to some people ok but i live in the city and i have never seen so many of the SAME PEOPLE with the same damn sign asking for money!!!!!!!!!
Tipping a server or a host for your same favorite table are not comparable they are providing a service for you..
Charity for me was best explained by my step dad IT BEGINS AT HOME!!!! i come from spam can sucking trailer trash LITERARY... My mother worked 3 jobs as a single mom to raise 6 kids so to hear that someone can't find work or they have kids that our hungry i know 5 families that could use my help.

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.

Thats a good chunk of change and an interesting story. Alot of "different" people out there, thats for sure.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I get tired of hearing that line. "Excuse me. Do you have any SPARE change?" SPARE. I'm sure we could all use some spare change in todays market. Darn Crack heads >:(

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

spare change?....thats like someone asking "do you have an extra cigarette?"....nope there were only 20 in the pack ...no extras lol......going back to the tipping a waitress for a certain table...i agree they are providing a service...tips are considered part of their wages.....they actually only make 2 or 3 dollars an hour on thier paycheck with tips making up the remainder.........i have never given money to these beggars...mainly because i dont have it to give but if i saw one i would just go to McDonalds and get them a couple double cheeseburgers and hand it to them....if they eat it fine..if they really arent hungry...I tried

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO

THERE'S THE REAL PROBLEM, SOME PEOPLE ARE TO BIG HEARTED FOR THERE OWN GOOD, BEGGERS TAKE AVANTAGE OF OTHERS HARD EARNED MONEY :'(

IF MORE PEOPLE WOULD HAND THESE BEGGERS A SMALL CARD WITH THE SALVATION ARMY NUMBER AND ADDRESS WITH GOD BLESS YOU ON IT, THERE REAL COLORS WILL
COME OUT, I MYSELF "DO NOT" HAND OUT ANY MONEY TO NO ONE FOR NO REASON ANY TIME OF THE YEAR
EVERY BODY HAS MISFORTUNES THAT REQUIRE MONEY, AND THEY MANAGE TO GET BY ..
MY DAD ALWAYS TOLD ME THAT " BEGGERS CAN'T BE CHOSERS" AND THAT'S HOW WAS RAISED UP, BY THE SWEAT OF MY BROW, CAULLIST FILLED HANDS AND HONESTY,RESPECT FOR OTHERS.

THAT'S ALL

MLHUDSON

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil

Well we all have a story, when I was in Paris taking the subway to Jim Morrisons grave site a bunch of kids and a mom was begging for money, I started to hand them some Francs and a Priest grabbed my hand and told me not to give them anything they are thieves and what not. Well about 2 hours later going back to my hotel low and behold these kids where cramming coins in the candy machine and running around having a good old time, so just goes to show you!

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California

I keep a sealed envelope in my car, with a nice stack of Monopoly money in it. (The board was thrown out long ago.) The next scammer that hits me up, is gonna "hit the jackpot". lol

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On March 13, 1995, I had 17 cents and 5 .22 shells to my name. I never asked nobody for nothin. Last year I grossed over $60,000. It can be done; you just have to apply yourself and work hard.

wyattrr

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2008
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

After reading this I feel mixed...Some people need help. Some others don't...I've been scammed and other times not. We've all had times we needed assistance and gave assistance. Where I work there's a older man probably in his 50s who's homeless. This guy is different though, he's never asked us for money but we know he needs it. So I stopped him one day and told him if he would pick up trash in our parking lot and pull weeds around the building we would do something for him.

Without a pause he started right away picking up trash and pulling weeds. At the end of the day when we were leaving work he was still at it. The next morning our parking lot was absolutely clean like you could eat off the floor. I told the boss and we chipped in together and got him clothes and food...We took him to a place to clean up gave him a razor to shave...He started crying, all he wanted was to be seen as a human again.

We got him a job with a landscaping company and he has been doing it ever since. That's been four years now. His name is John, he rents a house and drives a car which he owns...From time to time he comes by to say hello and thank you for believing in him.

So next time when you see that person begging just remember it could have been you. I've worked for the Joseph House Community Center of Salisbury, Md helping others help themselves. I've seen all walks of life...I'm just saying use your better judgement. I just thought I would put in My two cents worth...It hit a soft spot.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You used good judgement and done good in that case, Wyattrr. The erosion of the family probably has something to do with the amount of beggars or homeless people. In my family, blood is very close. Cousins are the same as brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles are like moms and dads. If I lost it all right now, I would have a place to go with one of them, if I chose to humble myself and do it. We look out for each other. Not that much of that going on anymore. And we will always have people out there looking for somethin for nothin. Tell John he's on the internet now and I'm proud of him, and hope he's still doing well. Like I said, it can be done!

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

nice post

great stories in here too

I wish I could count how many times I probably been taken for a few dollars but I know if they are dishonest they will have to face a higher power than me one day

And I on the other hand hope I can never be told

when I was cold you didn't give me warmth
when I was hungry you didn't feed me
etc

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500

MUD(S.W.A.T) said:

Keep @ it and HH!!

I have enjoyed reading all of the opinions on here. But this one kind of stood out to me. First of all, it all depends on where you live...that determines how many times you asked for "Spare Change" in a year. Go to a Tigers game of Lions game in Detroit...and you'll get asked for spare change about 50 times in the 6-8 blocks that you have to walk from where you park your car. So give out the buck or two to each of those people...and see how much money you have when you go home. It gets extremely annoying. Sometimes, when you tell them that you have nothing to give...they get pissed and start calling you a "honkey." Yeah...that makes for a comfortable situation.

Believe me, I've given plenty over the years. Sometimes it hurts to not be able to give more.

Also, its interesting that you "preach" to do good deeds and give money to beggars, yet you find 11 dollars on the store floor and don't turn it in??? That sounds slightly hypocritical. I'm not trying to pick on you, but geez...that just totally floods your argument with irony.

I guess..."Give and you shall receive huh?"

DH24

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One thing I would point out is that a server in a restaurant doesn't ask me for money. They expect it of course, but they don't get in my face and beg for it. They aren't paid much as the bosses expect tips will make up the rest of their wages. When people on the street beg me for money, I can say no real easy, because I am a Dad. They tell me they need money for food or coffee or whatever, and I'll buy that for them sometimes. I can usually tell them who's hiring if they want a job. I need a big sign that says 'I do work for food' and I can stand on the street corner in my spare time. It would be a novelty.

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.

I feel sorry for you guys who use coin stars...... dont you loose 10% right off the top???? geesh you must be rich throwing away 10% of your money,,, I would ask you for spare change too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions