301.2 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Viking? (yes they did make it at least to Newfoundland) It does not look indigenous.

Well, that's not the case at all, so I need to correct your observation. Not only is it indigenous, and not Norse, but it is a known diagnostic style for the indigenous Maritime Archaic complex/tradition/adaptation. The style shown is the style of Maritime Archaic slate points, fits the style to a tee, fits no known Norse style at all, and the only question remaining is what it is actually made of. But it is most certainly indigenous; that's not based on guesswork, it's based on over 100 years of research of that culture.

73dguard, the slate points after which the bone points were modeled are dated thousands of years earlier then any Norse presence on Newfoundland, or Greenland for that matter. These items are found in contexts thousands of years prior to Viking arrival anywhere in the New World.

And, again, the hot pin test will tell you if it's bone or ivory....

http://elfshotgallery.blogspot.com/2010/05/ground-slate-lances.html

Last edited:

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the awesome find!

Try the app "mag light" it has a pretty good macro lense-great for close up detail pics. Free iPhone app.

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes charl ive heard that test and i might give it a try.Will let you know if i do.Im a chicken...

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, that's not the case at all, so I need to correct your observation. Not only is it indigenous, and not Norse, but it is a known diagnostic style for the indigenous Maritime Archaic complex/tradition/adaptation. The style shown is the style of Maritime Archaic slate points, fits the style to a tee, fits no known Norse style at all, and the only question remaining is what it is actually made of. But it is most certainly indigenous; that's not based on guesswork, it's based on over 100 years of research of that culture.

73dguard, the slate points after which the bone points were modeled are dated thousands of years earlier then any Norse presence on Newfoundland, or Greenland for that matter. These items are found in contexts thousands of years prior to Viking arrival anywhere in the New World.

And, again, the hot pin test will tell you if it's bone or ivory....

Elfshot: Ground Slate Lances

Yes charl ive heard that test and i might give it a try.Will let you know if i do.Im a chicken...

I would be be too, and as I just found out, ivory smells with that test as well, so the test may not prove anything anyway.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its been a long time now. I think the difference between bone and ivory would be apparent until I looked at a carved bone handle. It may be antler

OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
finally some better pics

My friend let me borrow his microscope heres some pics.Looks like rock......

Attachments

• ah4.BMP
    900.1 KB · Views: 82
  • tip.BMP
  • aa.BMP
    900.1 KB · Views: 94
  • end1.BMP
    900.1 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more pics

heres some more pics

Attachments

• aas.BMP
    900.1 KB · Views: 88
  • ah2.BMP
    900.1 KB · Views: 90
  • end3.BMP

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a slate example from Maine that is essentially the style of the point in question here. Photo from Dean Snow's The Archaeology of New England(1980).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
OP
OP
mainejman

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally a good look alike thanks charl. Did you see the close up photos i posted?

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Jay, yes I did see the close ups. Here are some more matches from Dean Snow's The Archaeology of New England and notice that the caption indicates swordfish bills were utilized as material, as well as bone. So, slate, bone, antler, swordfish bills were all used to create the styles shown here. All examples shown are from Maine. So swordfish bill is another material to perhaps consider.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions