pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm spoiled and know it

to me hunting a site has to be over 150 years old ... i spoiled myself and now i wont waste my time with a sit younger than 100years old .........anybody feel like this ? or is just me .........i do a huge amount of research ..and my spot now dates back to the 1700's ..and theres enuff land to be there for years .....am i crazy or no .......

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: i'm spoiled and know it

Yes, but I will take what I can get. As long as there are wheaties and silver, i'll take it. No modern junk, though. I hate zinc pennies. When I find them to be in bad shape I just toss them si I won't find them again :icon_sunny:

1266x

Greenie
Oct 13, 2008
Berkshire County

pinebarrens1 said:
to me hunting a site has to be over 150 years old ... i spoiled myself and now i wont waste my time with a sit younger than 100years old .........anybody feel like this ? or is just me .........i do a huge amount of research ..and my spot now dates back to the 1700's ..and theres enuff land to be there for years .....am i crazy or no .......
You will be fine until the day you look over your shoulder and you see men in white coats.They will strap you up and take you to Pulltab Manor for therapy. And you will have to stay until you renounce your narrow minded ways. :'(

OP
OP
pinebarrens1

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i'm going to set my goals for 2009 with .........
half disme
half penny
and any coins from the late 1700's [ all american coins]

and i'm going to make banner

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes, you are a couple of cans short of a sixer. But, so am I. I hunt parks but my heart is out in the desert searching old homesteads.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Yup, I remember when "mercs" were a big thing 30+ yrs. ago to find. Then pretty soon they became boring d/t barbers became the goal. Then it moved to seateds. And now the goal is reales :) The "arms race" hit home one time, when a buddy and I were detecting a ruins site that dated to the 1820s. We'd pulled some reales and busts from the site previously. My hunting partner got "disgusted" when he dug a barber half (as if that's a "dissapointment", eh?) It occured to me that we're getting pretty durn picky :)

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Tom here are two 8 Reales, from a genuine treasure. You can even see a bit of oxdation on one of them.. -

---\_(_)_/ here's to a very prosperous new year filled with Reales & ESCUDOS.

salud mit Plum Saki

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• 8 Reales.jpg
    8 Reales.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 203

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Same here,at start I was happy with early 1900's.. Then 1800's now I'm mainly researching 1700's and earlier.
I do though go to modern beaches for rings and modern silver.. When I'm lazy. :thumbsup:

billohio6248

Apr 20, 2008
Cumming Georgia

Happy New Year All you fine people,
I am not that spoiled. I will suggest that the guy who found the disgusting barber half to send it to me as a belated Christmas gift. It would be the second oldest in my collection.
Bill

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's all a matter of perspective. I only hunt sites that are 100 years or older, and virgin. But that's because I could waste my time with 1940s shacks, and dig Pounds of aluminum crappe to get a mercury dime--or I could focus my time better with the oldest spots in my area. If there were no older spots in my area, I'd wage war on a site for a new silver. Long and short of it is this: you do what you have to do--in your particular area--to make the finds that keep you going.

-Buck

bourassa5

Nov 8, 2008

i like the old homesites just because there is no one around to bother your. the first site i found was from the early 1800's and i found an 1860 Indian along with a 1788 new jersey copper. haven't found anything from the same site and found anyother older site as well but cant seam to find anything but nails even the better signals end up being darn nails. I researched and will be off to a mill site a mile into the woods along an old road. mill dates back to the 1850's anyone have any information on how to detect such a site. there were two house/building foundations within 50 yards of the mill.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread