Im thinking of buying a new metal detector

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking of buying a new metal detector

I have owned a White's Classic III for 9 years now . I have been thinking of upgrading . So far in 2012 I have been out detecting more than any other year since I bought it . Besides the readout screen is there much difference between the Classic III and the Prizm 6T or the Prizm 5G . Can the Prizm's catch deeper targets ? I mainly hunt schoolyards , parks , wooded areas and sometimes the beach and although I never came across a gold ring with a diamond , I have come across many coins . Would buying one of the Prizm's be an upgrade or just be buying the same detector with a screen ?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003
I know nothing about the Classic 3 or the Prizm 5g. I do own a 6t and it is not a regular coinmaster or prizm. It is a slow sweep an very fast response machine. I have no trouble digging deeper coins and it is very easy to ground balance. It will TID in both all metal and motion all metal as well as the regular notch mode. The best coil is the 4x6 DD for high target areas and the 9 inch does ok in the open less target areas. If your hunting in tot lots with a 6t that has wooden structures, take your hat off your in the presence of a champion. In tot lots that have metal structures it will drops to a C minus. Hunting close to metal structures such as playground equipment, tore up sidewalks, metal fences is the biggest con to the 6t. It is more sensitive to metal structures than most detectors that I have used. In parks, soccer fields, yards it does a good job. There is no perfect machine. cg

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your thinking of the 6T I would buy the M6 its about the same price but you will have alot more coil choices and if you upgraded to the MXT,DFX,VX3,or the V3i you can use those coils. The M6 is a great detector and easy to use. Good luck and HH

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
If your thinking of the 6T I would buy the M6 its about the same price but you will have alot more coil choices and if you upgraded to the MXT,DFX,VX3,or the V3i you can use those coils. The M6 is a great detector and easy to use. Good luck and HH

Great advice my M6 is one of my detectors I would never part with . It's a great all around machine .:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread