Im thinking Roman. Any information would be appreciated.

jnkhntr

Feb 6, 2009
Central Florida

Attachments

• coins-front.jpg
    coins-front.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 114
  • coins-back.jpg
    coins-back.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 109

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like roman coins, but I am not very educated in ancient coins. I am sure someone else will know about them.

Last edited:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, looks to be authentic late Roman bronze coins. Usually these coins are pretty low in value, but worth more than 50 cents a piece! Not much of an expert in identifying specific emperors though.

PKennett

Oct 18, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, these are all late roman bronze/copper (about 350 AD to 450 AD). This website will help Id them: Roman Coin Attribution Toolkit
They also all appear to have been badly cleaned. This reduces the vaklue dramaticaly. An untouched, unclean Roman coin covered in caked-on dirt sells for about $2. A badly cleaned, in which the original natural patina has been removed (as yours show), is worth $2 to $5. A properly cleaned Roman coin, can fetch anywhere from $20 and up. More if silver, and even more if gold of course.

To see an example of a properly cleaned coin, carefully picked clean with a pin and a microscope - check this post:

First Gratian!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I do Flea Markets and occasionally eBay and I sell coins along with other collectible items. I know for a fact that even though the coins have been cleaned (some more harshly than others), many folks would jump at a chance of owning Roman coins from this time period and will pay a much higher price. I am not saying to rip folks off but some collectors or wannabee collectors are willing to pay more for an item than what others would be willing to pay and these coins are part of World History and it does not get much better than that!

Frank

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Roman, you weren't robbed at that price, and some nice detail.:thumbsup: