Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what tool you're using to do this, but in general, if you're overlaying maps, they have to be at the same scale if you want features to line up.

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
I don't know what tool you're using to do this, but in general, if you're overlaying maps, they have to be at the same scale if you want features to line up.
That's what I was thinking. Thanks. I've been using different ones just trying to figure them out. What if I expand a map from like a 8.5 x 11 to something bigger. Will the scale change ?

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 inch = 1 inch If you enlarge it by 2.5, your 1 inch scale will be off by 2.5.
Some photographs/maps will say "not to scale", because the enlargement or reduction will change the original scale/size

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
1 inch = 1 inch If you enlarge it by 2.5, your 1 inch scale will be off by 2.5.
Some photographs/maps will say "not to scale", because the enlargement or reduction will change the original scale/size
.... can you break that down a little more?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take an copied image of an old map usually one with some defining landmarks like creeks .....and tape it to my computer screen over Google maps of the same area, allowing me to see the transparent overrlay.I have had good success in doing this as I can zoom in and out with the mouse and move the google map image until i get the landmark to match. This has worked for me.

OP
OP
Digginitdaily

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
I take an copied image of an old map usually one with some defining landmarks like creeks .....and tape it to my computer screen over Google maps of the same area, allowing me to see the transparent overrlay.I have had good success in doing this as I can zoom in and out with the mouse and move the google map image until i get the landmark to match. This has worked for me.
It hasn't been until recently that I started trying to overlay them. Usually I just went off the old map and known landmarks. Alot more exercise that way .. gotta stay healthy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread