Im whipping a dead horse even deader :)

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm whipping a dead horse even deader :)

I have $375.00 to spend. Not a lot, not a little. If White's had a detector OTHER THAN the Prizm series around that price, I'd buy it. I want an M6, can't afford it. I have had the Ace 250. Didn't like it. I'm a avid, experienced detectorist, I just don't have a lot of $$$ to spend. I've considered the Titan 3000xD ad found out it's a crappy Radio Shack repackage. I have been a White's devotee for many years, but I'm sorry. Their offerings in my price range don't do it for me. Now I'm considering the Fisher F4. I need a few things - decent depth, multi tones, good pinpointing (like my analogs) and somewhat reliable VDI. My back is busted from digging cockroaches (aka pennies - I simply DO NOT WANT THEM. Copper or zinc, I'll leave the wheats and Indian heads for every one here at the forum - you can have 'em, I don't care.) Life's too short to be digging pennies. I'd literally rather dig pull tabs and take the gamble I'm diggin' gold or nickel. So, I know I'll get a lot of responses but would you all be willing to give me your input? I have started an 'official' digital metal detector fund and cashed in $70 in clad along with some items I've sold to get it going. I'm keeping one analog Whites 'cause they've been incredibly good to me. :)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Re: I'm whipping a dead horse even deader :)

Don't be so quick to give up on the Indians and Wheaties.

Find the right one and not only will you pay for your new machine,
you will be able to take your wife to dinner every night for the next Week.

Finding a 1908 S or 1909 S Indian,
or a 1909 S vdb, or a nice 1914 D,
a 1931 S, or even a 1955 DDO #1.
the last 4 are Lincoln Cents
And there are more.
All are dream finds for MDers.
Any one of which in Good to Fine shape would pay for the new machine you want.

Discriminate them out and eliminate that many chances by choice? ???

Why exactly are you doing this hobby?

I'm confused,
Thom

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2

If you really want the M6 then anything else probably won't cut it. I know your itching but keep swinging big blue until you get enough for the M6.

S

someotherdude

Garrets or tessoros are good brands with many detectors in your price range. I'd try to get to a dealer to try the different models in your price range to see what fits the bill the best. You might find that the detector that sounds so great in writting here, doesn't live up to the hype simply because it weighs too much or it's depth is limited by your soil type etc.... :wink:

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

all three of my last silver rings came up as zincs- the small silver rings are to thin to give off a penny signal while conductive enough not to come up as ring, so, the detector sticks it in the zinc range. The same is true for other silver pendents.

HH
-GC

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

come on up to Menominee or Crivitz this weekend and you can try my f-4 out, Ive had a couple of bh3300 almost the same as the titan 3000, the f-4 while similar to both is defiantly better, still not real deep though, it is a lot more consistant on targets, and handles iron way better than the 3300, i only have a hour on it, thinking of selling it and picking up another whites QXT, my main unit is a t-2. from what Ive seen here, most coins are in the grass roots, talking coins from the 1860's, a guy found a 1804 half penny with his ace 250 last year, same thing, in the roots, and our soils are moderately materialized here, don't imagine the ace goes very deep here

F

Felinepeachy

If I were you I would keep saving and get exactly what you want or you will not be happy with anything else.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

Hello Jim,
You did right in not getting one of those Titans.......they are the same thing as Radio Shack's Discovery line, except they cost about twice as much. Biggest rip-off I've seen and the companies who sell them........I wouldn't even deal with them. With that said...........you mention you have $375. Jim........save another few dollars, like $75 more, and scour Ebay and the classifieds. You can get a used M6 or Minelab Explorer with that money. I found a used Minelab Explorer for my buddy Tom on Ebay two weeks ago for $432. It took us about 9 months of looking.........I'm sure you can get an M6 for that money. Take your time, gather your clad and keep an eye out. There are great deals to be had in the forum classifieds and even Ebay. I'll keep any eye out for you.

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would have to agree about the older Whites models from the late 80's like the 5900 & 6000. I had a 5900 and I loved it. I could get all the same info from that meter that I get from an XLT or DFX of todays technology. It was sad to see them discontinued. I would encourage you to hold out for the M6 if that is what you have your sights set on because anything less will just make you cuss. Also, I would not give up on pennies, keep in mind that before 1982 all pennies were a high quality copper and even just for scrap value at a coin shop, they will add up to being worth your time. A friend I detect with has found two 1914D pennies in the last several years and in the condition they are in are worth about 150 bucks each. Just something to think about.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250

pookie said:
what's wrong with titan's?? :-\ :'(
The price is wrong with Titans. I've posted a couple of times here with comparison shots between the titan and discovery line. Titan metal detectors are the same unit as a discovery line detector except the price and possibly a better looking arm rest. The price on a titan is a huge rip off. You can research the prices anywhere, and anywhere you look, you will see the same. The quoted prices are from Radio Shack and Ebay on the Discovery. The quoted prices for the titan are from Ebay and a store that I will not mention. I surely would not do business with anyone who sells Titans. Personally, I think it is a rip-off scam. No matter which Titan model you have, 1000, 2000 or 3000, it would've been alot cheaper to buy the same thing as a Discovery 1100, 2200 or 3300.

Attachments

• Titan_Discovery.JPG
    Titan_Discovery.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 232

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

I would have to agree with the earlier poster. The X-30 machine is a good machine and you can notch out targets you don't want to dig.

It is in your price range too.

Try finding a used X-50 or 70 for the price of a new 30 for an even better deal.

But I almost hate to agree felinepeachy, you won't be happy until you have what you want. I believe I saw someone, maybe bootybay selling their M6 with some added coils for around $575 today.....

R

RUDY2003

Take your own advice, you want a M6, save, look around and get one. I know some who wanted a machine where cost was an issue, they bought one they didn't really want and weren't happy. Then they sold the first one and scrounged the bucks up and got what they really wanted.
You're only puttin off the inevitable.

Keep safe...

Fishenfool

Feb 28, 2008
Salem, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, V3, BH

bout 2 months ago I picked up a used XLT for 375.00 just keep looking

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

$375+$100 (after selling one of your older white's)

And if you still have you ace 250 you can sell that.

I would recommend buying a man's machine. Get a used Minelab Explorer XS. You can usually find them for under $500 and they get the same depth as the newer Explorers.

Silver Dimes at 8-10" regularly with perfect identification on the screen.

I use the stock coil and I don't think I have ever been out-hunted when looking for coins against anybody else with any other machine. If any of you need proof, head to central Indiana and I would be glad to show you.

This machine will regularly find coins that other machines don't get any signal on.

So if you can afford, don't get an average machine, just go all out so that you don't have to re-hunt all of your sites over again once you do go for a deep machine.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Oh yeah, just wanted to add that when I'm in a hurry I easily stop detecting wheats and just go for the silver.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,

i to would hold out, im sure the m-6 will go deeper, and whites are rugged, not to mention the auto GB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions