Imagining the loss

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
Bounty HunterIV / Garrett GTI 2500
Its a moonlit spring night 1939 in Northern WI.. Dad sent me down to the lake with some new spearheads and I cut the shafts from some saplings along the way. From the small bluff I see the walleyes spashing the shore. Dad said, "take a look around I've heard the wardens have been watching the lake". I sat behind the big maple, pulled the string and spearheads from my pocket and tied them on. I could have sworn I had 3. I peak around the maple tree, all clear, walleyes, here I come.................

Imagining how it was lost, we all do it , don't we? Its the history I love.
1 hr. search, one 6" deep dig. 3 Wheaties 1916 / 1937 / 1939 and
one spear head (or so I think)
I only wish that kid had some silver.

Attachments

• treasure.jpg
    treasure.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 722
Upvote 0

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Whoa! That baby still looks sharp too!
I will remember to dig a little slower after looking at that find.
HH,
Donny

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Spearheads to find coins? I don't understand. You throw the spear in the lake and stab coins? Enlighten me please :tongue3:

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
panelman

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
relichunters said:
Spearheads to find coins? I don't understand. You throw the spear in the lake and stab coins? Enlighten me please :tongue3:

LOL
Relichunters Ole Boy
You have got to slow down when you read, ya missed the punch line! Its the walleyes that ya gives the spears to, they git the coin!

OP
OP
panelman

panelman

Mar 2, 2008
Northern WI.
Detector(s) used
TreasureTales said:
panelman said:
relichunters said:

LOL
Relichunters Ole Boy
You have got to slow down when you read, ya missed the punch line! Its the walleyes that ya gives the spears to, they git the coin!

ROFL

Yes, the little story we create to explain some of our finds is part of the fun. The history, the person who held it and lost it, all very much a part of the treasure hunt.

That's a sharp relic, but I wonder if it is a spearhead. No barbs and a square shaft, is that typical for spearing walleyes? I don't know, no walleyes around here.

Treasuretales
You sound like you see things the way I do when you make a dig. When someone lost a dime 75 years ago they really lost alot. You can see the value of the money now when I spend time on ski hills and I find more clad quarters than anything. Its the penny of 50 years ago!
As I look at it ,I'm sure it is probably not a spear either, but it worked well with my imagination
Happy Hunting

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Yes! We do think alike on that.

Very well put.

I too am fascinated by the story behind the loss, it's part of the fun.

The history is what we dig for.

The gold rings are just the gravy.

jraven

Jun 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
I lost a Chinese throwing star when I was a kid. I just threw it into a field to watch it fly. Searched for hours , but never found it. I'm still waiting to get permission to search that field with my detector. I find it one day hopefully.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread