Immaculate 1838 Seated Dime w/ Die crack (error)!!!

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All! We had a club hunt today at an old settlement in South Carolina. Within 10 minutes I found this stunning lady! This is my first pre-1900 silver & 2nd oldest coin! My buddy pointed out the die crack & it is a perfect match to the other 1838 errors online. This coin is classified as a variety 111a http://www.seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1838_111apage.htm Its in great shape, definitely a beauty. The rest of the hunt was tough. I did find a few relics but nothing compared to this. There were also some other good finds by fellow club members. It was great to be out but I'm sore from 8 straight hours of hunting. Thanks for looking & HH!

Attachments

• image-3500637306.jpg
    image-3500637306.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 515
  • image-2061701131.jpg
    image-2061701131.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Upvote 27

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats one I would have slabbed... The die crack runs from the 11-4 on the front side, for those that dont see it. I am wondering if the little black corrosion that is there could be doctored/removed? Otherwise one of the uppity grading companies could call it environmental damage.... Can you use your fingernail on the edge of the rim carefully? It would make a huge difference in aesthetics and grading. Great coin.

Thank you for sharing.

Man, I don't know, but if you do try to clean it make sure you do not clean anything except the rim of it. I'd have to see it in person, but I probably wouldnt even try.

Beautiful coin.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Thanks! I was wondering about those little black spots... It's silver so it should be easy to get rid of although, I'm just hesitant to do too much to this one.

Please dont try to clean it. Dont rub it or use anything on it.

If the black spots dont come off easily and you start burnishing the coin edge they will ding you for that also. I found the same year on ebay and the seller had removed a spot on the reverse and the grading company could see it and would not grade it.

No matter what, your coin has AU details and is a AU55 or better. If you chose to remove the specs you will risk having them call it doctored. It just depends on how easy they remove.

If they dont remove easy without burnishing of the silver I would send it off to be graded on the chance that they dismiss them because they are on the rim and dont detract much.

Above all....."Do not let anyone handle your coin without it being in a protective sleeve". I have seen to many people mangle coins and it really makes me mad. People dont care when its not their coin, including some coin dealers.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a phenomenal coin you found!!:notworthy:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ID. NICER COIN!

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
burlbark said:
Please dont try to clean it. Dont rub it or use anything on it.

If the black spots dont come off easily and you start burnishing the coin edge they will ding you for that also. I found the same year on ebay and the seller had removed a spot on the reverse and the grading company could see it and would not grade it.

No matter what, your coin has AU details and is a AU55 or better. If you chose to remove the specs you will risk having them call it doctored. It just depends on how easy they remove.

If they dont remove easy without burnishing of the silver I would send it off to be graded on the chance that they dismiss them because they are on the rim and dont detract much.

Above all....."Do not let anyone handle your coin without it being in a protective sleeve". I have seen to many people mangle coins and it really makes me mad. People dont care when its not their coin, including some coin dealers.

Thanks for the advice burlbark. I'm not going to touch this, it's in a sleeve & that's where it's staying! I don't want to risk any damage. I know what you mean about people handling coins. I found a silver merc once, showed it to the owner & he starts rubbing it (still had dirt on it). I couldn't really say anything but I wanted to scream! Luckily it was just a merc!

STL8

Feb 27, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Josh, that's a beauty. Congrats!:notworthy:

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice I found an 1858 with arrows last year

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Seated Mangum! I can't believe it and right behind where I parked in January. You really kicked it out of the park on this one. The club members are going to go crazy off over this one. Get her slabbed and I vote banner.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going on your oldest silver, and a rare one at that. Don't know much about that error, but its definitely a cool find.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, Josh!!! Are you still shaking like you were yesterday?

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blind Squirrel said:
Nice find, Josh!!! Are you still shaking like you were yesterday?

Gene- I'm doing a little better today thanks for asking lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOVE IT ,Dug coins don't get much better. FULL OF ENVY but still glad for you. Davers

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done finding that girl in such great shape! Hope you find a whole bunch of her sisters too Good luck this season and HH....

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally lovely coin there! Might have a heart attack if one that old showed up in my dig :goldtrophy:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin--don't try to "improve" it! Scraping off corrosion with your "fingernail" is not going to improve the grade. DON'T TRY TO CLEAN IT! Of course if it was rubbed with dirt on it when it was found then it probably won't make any difference. I recently saw a rare 1904 S Barber in Western & Eastern Treasures that was returned "Cleaned AU-50 for details" from the grading firm because the finder decided to tidy it up (and destroy most of it's value) There is a lot of bad advice given on these forums for cleaning coins. About the only thing I clean are corroded copper coins and even sparingly with those. Rare coins can be professionally cleaned though without destroying the value.
Thats one I would have slabbed... The die crack runs from the 11-4 on the front side, for those that dont see it. I am wondering if the little black corrosion that is there could be doctored/removed? Otherwise one of the uppity grading companies could call it environmental damage.... Can you use your fingernail on the edge of the rim carefully? It would make a huge difference in aesthetics and grading. Great coin.

Thank you for sharing.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My fiance did the same with a Barber half I found. I was like ,"NO NO NO!" I let her see it again and immediately starts doing it again! It's human nature I suppose(just HAVE to see that detail!)I won't let anyone touch my coins now until they're in a holder. I'm glad that you haven't tried to clean it. Smart move!:thumbsup:
Thanks for the advice burlbark. I'm not going to touch this, it's in a sleeve & that's where it's staying! I don't want to risk any damage. I know what you mean about people handling coins. I found a silver merc once, showed it to the owner & he starts rubbing it (still had dirt on it). I couldn't really say anything but I wanted to scream! Luckily it was just a merc!

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sovereignelite said:
Awesome coin--don't try to "improve" it! Scraping off corrosion with your "fingernail" is not going to improve the grade. DON'T TRY TO CLEAN IT! Of course if it was rubbed with dirt on it when it was found then it probably won't make any difference. I recently saw a rare 1904 S Barber in Western & Eastern Treasures that was returned "Cleaned AU-50 for details" from the grading firm because the finder decided to tidy it up (and destroy most of it's value) There is a lot of bad advice given on these forums for cleaning coins. About the only thing I clean are corroded copper coins and even sparingly with those. Rare coins can be professionally cleaned though without destroying the value.

I'm not touching it! Looks good to me as is! I didn't rub it when I found it. I waited until I could run some distiller water over it. I totally agree with you about cleaning. Thanks for the input! I think this one is worth sending off to be graded.

Tenspeed

Mar 22, 2009
York County, SC
Detector(s) used
Currently: Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Past: XP Deus, Xterra 70, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Josh! I still can't believe I dug the .223 brass a foot away and didn't keep swinging over the dime. You definitely have the horse shoe in your bag.

It was a great hunt (event though all I found was a silver washed button and a watch winder). I was so tired I was in bed at 9:00 and slept 11 hours.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread