Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Traded the Cobra Chinese unit in on a Sea Hunter Mark II as most of you know. I have had it out twice on practice runs and just waiting to find the time to get it out for some "serious " work or about as serious as I can get! :D
Took it to the park and did some static tests first. Found a lot of junk but this is a small park that I personally have hunted it out pretty much. I am use to a machine with a big LCD screen and lots of bells and whistles. The Sea Hunter is a PI based machine with very little discrimination and it loves iron based metals as well as treasures! It reminds me of hunting in all metal mode with my other detectors. Was able to figure out what the tones were telling me to some extent. Although there is only one tone, the strength of the signal can give you some idea of the size and depth of the target. I am sure I will get better at it with use. It will pick up the smallest metalic target and I got strong hits on a couple of bobby pins!
Went to a local freshwater beach and did some runs on wet and dry sand and worked some knee deep water for about 30 minutes or so. Not seriously hunting, mainly just testing. It picked up targets equally as well in wet or dry sand and a little black sand did not interfere with it in any way. Worked equally as well under water as on the beach. Got a new scoop from Zeke and recovered all but one of the targets I hit in the water. Didn't find any jewelry or coins which is what I was hoping for, rather recovered a dozen or so large nails and one RR spike and some more of those melted globs of aluminum cans. The lake was up and I was essentially detecting the same area I had been over with my GTI 2500 when the beach was exposed. Was able to discriminate out pull tabs to where they just gave a faint whisper of a tone while a gold ring I tested rang out loud and clear. Gold and silver both ring out just like iron based metals so you never know what your target is. Like most PI technology it is a true dig everything detector. I had no problem pinpointing, just place the coil where it made the loudest signal and it was dead center every tiime. I had a little trouble locating underwater items with the scoop. The scoop worked fine, cudos to Zeke, but I couldn't see the coil due to muddy water conditions and it was hard to dig in just the right spot. I more or less had to slowly scoot the scoop along the bottom until I contacted the coil and then try to dig in under it. I was afraid I would damage my coil so I had to go really easy with the scoop. I would suggest a coil cover at the very minimum when using it in surf or muddy water. I don't know how you surf guys do it with the constant surf and sometimes rough water! I didn't go in more than about knee deep because I was alone and the old Cimarron River channel is notorious for drop offs and quick sand. The beach was not in very good condition due to constant rising and falling water. It was littered with much debris and a good portion of it was under water as the lake level was up. I explained on an earlier post that Lake Keystone is a flood control lake and the water leve fluctuates a great deal. This factor also made it evident that the beach I went to was not being used as heavily as in past years. There are better beaches to explore but this one is isolated and no problem with swimmers or sunbathers, just a good place to do some testing. There are some excellent sandy beaches and several old home places up there on the lake that can only be reached by boat but I sold my boat last year! Guess I'll have to hook up with someone local who has a boat? Hope this give you some idea as to what to expect from any PI water hunting detector. They all work basically the same. JIM

Upvote 0

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
Jim

I bought one of those Chinese made detectors off of Ebay. The AquaVision by Treasure Hunter.
Good for 200ft depth underwater with a 5yr warranty.
I found alot of nails. It like iron. Used it in the local parks. Have found several coins (all clad).
One silver mothers ring. It works the same way as yours. One tone with an indicator light that flashs.

Well guess what? The first of Aug I took it on its first under water dive to a whooping depth of 22ft.
Shallow for me. I have been to 200ft serval times. Half way thru the dive it would not pick up small objects, like PT's and lead fishing weights.
I brought it out of the water. It had water droplets in the lens of the light indicator. Half and hour later it would work at all. Flooded it on its first under water dive. Boy was I PO'd.

I contacted the distributor. I sent it back to him. He is replacing it at No charge. He receiced it the 19th of Aug. I have heard nothing.
I'm hoping I get one Back....Still waiting!!!!! So I am land locked with my Ace 250.

Lee-MI-MI

Apr 3, 2005
Midland Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Fisher CZ-20/21
Re: Impressions of Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II - Digging your targets

Jim, this may not work in the surf but I use this method in the great lakes. Should also work in rivers unless you are fighting current just to stay upright.

When you pinpoint the target, if you are right handed, slide your right foot up to the edge of the coil. Then pull the coil away and set the scoop on your foot so that the point is right over your toe. Slide your foot back and use your foot to push the scoop down into the bottom and lift our your scoop.

Left handers, use the foot on the same side as the detector.

Works good for me.

Lee

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a plan. I found it awkward trying to scoop with one hand and hold the detector with the other hand. Need to figure out how to free both hands to dig with scoop. Guess I need to anchor the detector to my body somehow? I could have just laid the detector down in the water but the water was so nasty and muddy I didn't really want to submerge my detector although I know the water wouldn't hurt it. How do you free both hands to scoop and slosh the mud out? JIM

greggww

Greenie
Aug 14, 2005
Richardson Tx.
Jim i don't know how boyant your Garrett is but for my Tesoro I use a 6-7 inch length of foam pipe insulation (the kind that is split to slip over the pipe) high on the handle and it makes it float standing up next to me. In the lakes where it is calm the headphones are plenty to keep it next to you. I wouldn't try this in the surf though w/o so;me other means of attaching it. HH Gregg

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
A Lanyard around your neck would work too!
Noodle around the detector for floatation and visibility......Bright Orange.
Lanyard clip it to your belt "D" Ring.
Clip it to a floating seeve (like Rob's)

Take an inter tube, make a seeve out of it, attachment for your detector to hang on and it will provide you floations, in case you fall.
(after all I hear you are accident pron) ;D ;D ;D ;D

L

labnewbie

I use a fisher 1280 for water all the time same type of detecting...why water detectors come with a black coil I will never know. I spray painted mine dayglo orange so i can pinpoint it in the murky water..

HH

Lee-MI-MI

Apr 3, 2005
Midland Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Fisher CZ-20/21
Well Jim, remember this only works in calm waters but I am able to do the scoop pushing down while holding with my left hand and pulling back with my left hand. I then lean forward and put the top of the handle behind me and lift the scoop with my left hand.

All of this works but in not really necessary. I use a CZ-20. The control pod is the heaviest part of the detector but, guess what! IT FLOATS! That keeps the whole detector vertical, coil down, handle up. A lanyard maintains a close proximity. It is hard to let go even knowing that it will be right there waiting for you.

The control pod is removable from the detector stem/coil assembly. I made a belt from Ace Hardware webbing with a quick release buckle and waist mount the control pod. Now the detector handle and coil is tethered by the cable. Rope and snap would be better in surf.

I also use a floating screen tethered to my belt with a bungee shock cord. This has saved me many times on multiple targets in the same hole. Most people sweep, pinpoint, scoop, check the hole and if no target, look in the scoop. If a target is still in the ground they dump it out and try again. Another guess what! Get two or three items in the hole and you could be there all day until you give up in frustration and go on to the next hit.

I lift every scoop full and dump it in my floating screen until I don't get any more hits. I have recovered up to 4 items from one hole but that is unusual to say the least. 2 - 3 is not uncommon.

When you have a rocky bottom or lots of sea shells you have to empty it more often but, small price to pay. Before I had the CZ I used my MXT in the shallow water/surf. (That's why I use a shock cord.) When I got the screen full of trash I took it to the shore and dumped it out and swung my coil over it and was amazed at what and how many targets were still in there, that I had missed. Small rings, blackened dimes, broken pieces of jewelry, and of course, junk. Really hard to see in a bunch of small shells and parts of shells.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread