Improvised Detector and old worked/flattened copper Glob.

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SPhillips was very nice to offer an invite to join him at the tracking station beach here in SE Florida, even though my AT Max was having issues (turns out it was operators error but that's a whole other issue.) I was going to just walk the low tide line and see what showed itself when I remembered I had a Noktia Macro PulseDive, 2 in 1 pin pointer/Wand combo. Here's what I managed to cobble together. (It worked well but my forearms felt like Popeye's before I was done.)
ImprovisedMDRig1.JPG ImprovisedMDRig3Closeup.JPG

Towards the tail end of my beach "walk" I spied this piece. In the sunlight it looked black not green and I thought it was the normal black flat rusted iron that washes up on the beaches here.
CopperChunkPreH2O2Soak-Front1.JPG CopperChunkPreH2O2Soak-Back1.JPG

Unfortunately the above images were the only two images I took before it got a short soak and then a long soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Here are some images after a short soak.

CopperChunkShortH2O2Soak-Front2Nice.JPG CopperChunkShortH2O2Soak-Back2Nice.JPG

No hidden details like a coin but there is one small area of white metal that appears to be a splash of something, on the less lumpy side that I'm referring to as the back. There is a slight curve to this side which makes me think it this side was down when the "lump" was hammered mostly flat against a hard surface. Here's the "white" spot.
CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal3Close.JPG CopperChunkShortH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal1Close.JPG

Here are some images after a 1-2 hour soak in 3% H2O2. Notice the two little pieces in the following images. :BangHead:
CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-Front5BrokenHole.JPG CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-Front4BrokenHole.JPG

After the long soak and as I looked it over, there appeared to be a hole that went from front to back near the edge, but it had some residual sand and verdi in it which I went to work on with a dental pick. (Insert :BangHead: ... Again.) Yep, the metal gave way, but the hole was "free" of debris. :dontknow:

Here are some images of the edge and the "hole" after the long soak.
CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-Edge5.JPG CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-Edge4.JPG CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-Edge5BrokenHoleArrows.jpg
CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal9CloseFromSide-VNice.JPG CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal5CloseFromSide.JPG
The last image is trying to capture the "white" metal from the side.

I'm not sure what the white metal is since I don't know how to test for silver.

Even though the "Big Flat Glob" will probably never have a definitive ID, I'm pretty happy for the way the day turned out.
Thanks Steve.

Attachments

• CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-Edge8BrokenHole-Close-VNice.JPG
    CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-Edge8BrokenHole-Close-VNice.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 36
  • CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal7CloseFromSide.JPG
    CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal7CloseFromSide.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 34
  • CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal2Close.JPG
    CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal2Close.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 34
  • CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal8CloseFromSide.JPG
    CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal8CloseFromSide.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 35
  • CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal4Close.JPG
    CopperChunkLongH2O2Soak-BackWhiteMetal4Close.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 9

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the improvised detector! :icon_thumleft: Interesting piece of old copper for sure--could be a Flowing Hair Largie :laughing7:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white metal could be lead. after cleaning it up any patina would be gone. So lead would be shiny, also plumbers use lead to solder copper pipes together.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they make an extension handle for that pin pointer so it can be used as a detector.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the improvised detector! :icon_thumleft: Interesting piece of old copper for sure--could be a Flowing Hair Largie :laughing7:

We find a way when we want to detect.
Or a Roman "Fattie" the Templars left behind? :laughing7:

The white metal could be lead. after cleaning it up any patina would be gone. So lead would be shiny, also plumbers use lead to solder copper pipes together.

Most likely lead like you say, but a feller can daydream. The heavy black coating and original verdi are a little baffling to me. It makes me think old. I'm not saying it's from this era but at the 1715 salvage sites, scrap pieces of silver have been found in among some fire pits (along with lead scrap).

I think they make an extension handle for that pin pointer so it can be used as a detector.
There might be one, but it would have to clamp onto it somehow since the end is interchangeable with a waterproof cap and you couldn't screw it onto a handle.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to make do with what You had!!! Congrats!!!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like how you rigged that up. I have a VibraTector that I lash to a hockey stick to reach the bottom in deeper water when I'm snorkeling. Your idea is a great back saving one for dry land!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pin pointer I have seen is a different one with the long handle extension, it was on a divers video from Australia so it might not be available here in the states.

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to make do with what You had!!! Congrats!!!
Thanks. It was such a beautiful day I just had to try something.

I like how you rigged that up. I have a VibraTector that I lash to a hockey stick to reach the bottom in deeper water when I'm snorkeling. Your idea is a great back saving one for dry land!
Thanks. Saves the back but my forearms were killing me since I had to hold it by the green handle at the very end to get the correct angle. This handle was only 6' long and if I had a longer adjustable one it would have helped.

The pin pointer I have seen is a different one with the long handle extension, it was on a divers video from Australia so it might not be available here in the states.
Thanks. Seems like an adjustable could come in handy while diving.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if the at is working again, we need to hit the beach again this weekend!

OP
OP
PetesPockets55

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if the at is working again, we need to hit the beach again this weekend!
Sounds good to me.

(But shhh..... don't tell anyone I put the batteries in backward though and that's why it wouldn't work. ::))

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call it a molten piece of metal.

Top Member Reactions