In Germany

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw this forum and was reading over things on many of the threads.

In Germany there is a day called Sperrmüll; of course not in the entire nation all on the same day or even week. But you can put out what ever you want on the side walk and the trash company will come by and grab it.

In 2003 I got a 1973 Vespa and a 1959 Vespa; I rang the owners door and asked him if that was really trash and he said yes, the insurance and taxes where too high, then he handed me the keys and titles. They where in mint, just perfect all around.

To date I have gotten a few nice restored old motor bikes like that and once a 1993 4X4 tractor with a tiller attachment. I actually use that still to gather my wood in the forest or during mushroom seasons to harvest mushrooms.

Folks come from all over Europe with big vans and trailers to just pick over peoples stuff. There is even a website set up that gives dates for the region so folks know when to show up and grab stuff.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was stationed in Germany in the late 70s that was how most GIs furnished their rooms. A lot of great stuff if you had a place to put it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
A TRACTOR?!?!? Ah, I would've died and gone to heaven! Tractors have become so ridiculously priced over here that you just can't touch 'em!

Errrr, uhhhh, I take it this Sperrmüll Day thing is coming up soon? We're gonna expect some really BIG things from you!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was stationed in Germany in the late 70s that was how most GIs furnished their rooms. A lot of great stuff if you had a place to put it.
Guilty as charged,

A TRACTOR?!?!? Ah, I would've died and gone to heaven! Tractors have become so ridiculously priced over here that you just can't touch 'em!

Errrr, uhhhh, I take it this Sperrmüll Day thing is coming up soon? We're gonna expect some really BIG things from you!! :laughing7:

Actually Sperrmühl is all year long in Germany, there is always some city or group of towns or villages doing it.

But no I would not expect anything from me, I really do not participate in hunting all the really cool stuff people throw out. We throw stuff out of course, but my wife always get ticked off at me when I do this. She says normally the first few finds are really great items and then I start bringing home junk. She says its junk, I say she is blind or ******ed when she tells me that, either way I am in the dog.

The tractor was not like some big monster tractor; this only has around 30 horsepower, it is 4X4 but I would say at best only good for working about 50 acres of land. But it only had a couple thousand hours and is in great shape. Just google Honda 5518; mine is a 1993. It is nothing special at all but it is perfect for pulling a little trailer into the forest to get firewood for the year or good enough to go harvest a couple hundred kilograms of mushrooms, nuts or berries. It is in perfect shape and does not get used like it should but still it is nothing but a farm yard tractor, good to pull about 2 tons, work 50 acres or just look nice in my garage.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a small 4x4 tractor - Pasquali 986. It was 21hp, 4-cyl diesel. Front tires were came size as the back, and it had articulated steering. Was an awesome little machine, but lost it about a year ago in an auto accident while towing it on a trailer.

I figured any 4x4 tractor being thrown out would be smaller, but that new?? WOW!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminds me of spring cleanup day in New England when I was a kid. I used to get some great stuff but the best thing was when I was 13 or 14 and I found a collection of Playboy magazines. I was the most popular kid in town for a month or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread