In Need Of ID. Thanks.

Nigel Tufnel

Sep 25, 2009
SOUTH Austin, Texas
I am just now getting to my pictures from the past few weeks of hunting and have two specimens that are rather confounding.

The first is a slab of granite that has been worked. The problem is it may have been worked recently although I doubt it was too recent due to the remote location in which it was found. What was interesting is the design of the rock. It appears to have a straight line/edge that could have been used for sharpening or straightening. The tell tale sign to me was it has about a full centimeter overhang with signs of use underneath. The one above it has similar marking but less pronounced.

The second rock is calcite of some type. I think. But it has some strange groves throughout.

Both of these could very easily be naturally formed. Any help is always appreciated. I am slowly learning how all of the reading I have done translates into the implementation of using that knowledge in a real world setting. It is both gratifying and frustrating. ;D

Attachments

• GRANITE EDGE 2.jpg
    GRANITE EDGE 2.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 296
  • GRANITE EDGE.jpg
    GRANITE EDGE.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 313
  • UNKNOWN ROCK 2.jpg
    UNKNOWN ROCK 2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 305
  • UNKNOWN ROCK 3.jpg
    UNKNOWN ROCK 3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 308
  • UNKNOWN ROCK 4.jpg
    UNKNOWN ROCK 4.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 301
  • UNKNOWN ROCK.jpg
    UNKNOWN ROCK.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 303
Upvote 0

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
Not sure about the Granite, definitely appears worked, but no telling when or by what means by that pic. the calcite just looks like a natural crystal formation

abarnard

Apr 10, 2009
The granite has been worked by man for sure. Have you ever seen a road cut exposing a granite formation? You will see half split vertical bore hole lines running through the face of the granite, where the granite has been split. I think that you have a piece of granite that has been either chipped off the face durring the quarry process, or has been worn off a larger piece that has been broken off. If you fish at a jetty on the coast, you will see these on the large square granite boulders that make up the jetty that jolts out into the ocean. IMO, I think that you have a small piece of worn Granite that has these bore holes. Or, maybe it has been worked by an Indian. Don't know, just an opinion.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice, The granite is cool;find any flint round there

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I've seen stone like the granite before and the ones I've seen were arrowshaft straighteners. From what I understand Indians would wet the wood shafts and heat the stone then run the wet shafts back and forth through the groove in the stone while turning the shaft. I can't say 100% for sure that's what yours is but it sure looks like it.

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
vayank54 said:
I've seen stone like the granite before and the ones I've seen were arrowshaft straighteners. From what I understand Indians would wet the wood shafts and heat the stone then run the wet shafts back and forth through the groove in the stone while turning the shaft. I can't say 100% for sure that's what yours is but it sure looks like it.
i thought it was a shaft straightener but cut on top and side.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread