Mammothman

Feb 1, 2011
Jal, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Upvote 0

dale68

Jan 12, 2009
What type of hunting sparks your intrest? coin&jewelry,coin,relic,water (fresh or saltwater or both). Your area may also make a difference,low or mineralized ground. There are several, but different answeres to each catagory. (oops forgot nugget, and metoerite hunting). There are quite a few machines in your stated price range. More info will enable us to narrow the possibilities.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you looking for a new or used one in that price range. If you go used you can get a better machine.....Matt

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well you are in the wrong thinking if you think the best cost over $1000.00........ As NASA Tom Dankowski put it.... Never assume " more dollars " automatically equates to " better performance "...... but in you price range ...Garrett & Whites & Tesoro & Fisher all put out a very good detector in that price range........... On used detectors i have got screwed more than once on used detectors............And had to pay for repairs to get them to work as they should................and some cost me more for repairs than i paid for the detector....

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mammothman,

First, welcome back to the hobby. You don't need a high end detector to have fun and make a lot of good finds. Some amazing finds have been made with very inexpensive detectors. The key is just swinging your coil over the right spot! And don;t get too hung up on detector depth. 90% of all your finds will be 6" or less no matter what machine you are using.

To start, I would stick with companies that are well established and have a good reputation for quality and customer service. In my opinion, the companies that top this list are:

Garrett
White's
Tesoro

Now I'll be honest with you, and again this is just my opinion here, White's doesn't make the best inexpensive detectors out there. Their mid and high end detectors, however, are probably among the best in the world.

This leaves, for me, Garrett and Tesoro.

If you want a detector with a display screen, the Ace 250 or 350 would be the ones to get. Check out the features and decide which is right for you. Try and get the sniper coil in addition to the stock coil as they work a lot better in trashy areas like parks.

If you are good with a tone machine, Tesoro is probably best as they are very lightweight and are backed by a lifetime warranty. The Compadre and the Silver uMax are the best starter machines in this line. And some never feel the need to move up. Investigate the differences to both so you can make the best decision.

These detectors ought to leave you with some money left over, so I would look into getting a digger (a simple screwdriver will do nicely with some practice), a pouch for your finds, and if you have the cash, a pinpointer will be an excellent addition. For me, the Garrett Propointer is the best one out there and it is a must-have. It makes retrieval of targets a lot easier!

You'll get a lot of opinions here, so wade through them all. Whichever one you pick, I hope you have a lot of fun in this amazing hobby.

Good luck to you!

OP
OP
Mammothman

Mammothman

Feb 1, 2011
Jal, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Thanks for the input on the detectors. As to new or used, a used one would be fine if it works and not in need of repairs. I plan to be doing a variety of MD'ing. Coins, meteorites are pretty common in this area, and at some point I'm going to try and head to some areas to look for lost loot. I won't be doing any looking in water, we're in the desert here. A good all-around detector would be nice to start with and learn with. I see a lot of people recommend the Ace 250. I'm confident I can pick up the skill quick, as I did it as a kid with a detector that was probably made in the 1960s, so the new stuff should be much easier once you pass the learning curve of all the new gadgetry.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience with used is the exact opposite of Keppy. I have owned 10 detectors, I liked to play with them when I first started. Of the ten detectors, 8 were used, of the 8, every single one arrived in perfect working order and I saved a fortune on the costs vs new ones. Of the 10, I have sold or traded 4 of them and I always got at least 85% or more of my investment back on the used ones, not counting what I found with them. The biggest loss I had was when I traded the Whites Beach Hunter ID ( bought new in 2006 ) in on a new Sov GT, I got a $550 trade in value towards my Sov GT with a WOT coil and the BHID was over a year old, had been back to Whites twice for leaks and I was very happy with the trade in I got.

Watch the for sale board here, keep your eyes open and you will find some good used detectors for sale here at good prices from some people you can trust.

On another note, just because you think your not going to hunt beaches, don't just rule out a detector that can handle water or moisture. I don't know where you live, but every state has rivers and lakes all of which have people who swim and lost gold jewelry..........Nothing sucks more then being out hunting, a ways from your vehicle and have a rain shower suddenly pop up and surprise you....

Consider the resale value of the detector your looking at and remember there is no one true do it all detector. Detectors are like golf clubs, different detectors for different situations.....All any of us can give you is our own personal opinion.......

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Treasure hunter i have a Sovereign Elite that i got a month ago that has to go to Minelab for repairs........ Of course the seller said it was like new only used a half dozen times............But that was a lie..............He said it was in his closet for the last couple years never taken out and used.............. I use to buy used all the time and always got great detectors.......................But lately it could be a sign of the times i have had really bad luck.................So now i will only buy used from some one i know.......

Attachments

• thumbnailCAAEZ9KG.jpg
    thumbnailCAAEZ9KG.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 628

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:
Well Treasure hunter i have a Sovereign Elite that i got a month ago that has to go to Minelab for repairs........ Of course the seller said it was like new only used a half dozen times............But that was a lie..............He said it was in his closet for the last couple years never taken out and used.............. I use to buy used all the time and always got great detectors.......................But lately it could be a sign of the times i have had really bad luck.................So now i will only buy used from some one i know.......

Keppy, I have to admit I have been lucky with used detectors but I also bought most of of them either here or the depot from long time members. My first Excal came off of Ebay, sold it 18 months after buying it for $75 less then I paid for it .......... One of my current two Excals has made 2 trips to repair, and I still haven't spent half of what I saved on it when I bought it used over 2 years ago. One of the trips was my fault too, let the coil fall off my truck and cracked it...... My last Excal I have $600 in it after moding it with a wot, and straight shaft, and made a deal for the headphones.....The Buligarian sells a great set of headphones if any are interested.... :icon_thumright:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
welcome to the site!! whatever detector you deciede on make sure ya shop around and call dealers and ask what the rock bottom prices are, most will drop down on price what is listed on their site. shopping around can pay off.

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy said:

Sorry to hear that you got burned on the Sov but my experience is that kind of experience is the exception rather than the rule. I have bought 6 used detectors over the last 8 or so used and all of them have been in good shape and as described by the seller. Of course I do use some discretion in who I buy from. I looks for someone who is an active poster on the forums and who has been a member for a reasonable amount of time. So my experience is that it is fine to buy a used machine. Many dealers also sell used machines if you can't find a private seller. One other thing I always do is to use Paypal to pay for the machine. If the machine arrives and it is in substantially different condition than described and the seller won't be responsible then you can file a complaint with PP and use their buyer protection system to avoid getting the shaft. I haven't had to file any complaints about detectors but I got burned by a seller who sold me a roll of US silver eagles and then vanished but Paypal paid me almost all of the money back. Fortunately this was back when silver was $4 an ounce so it wasn't as much money as it would be today.

jino11

Mar 15, 2011
If you want to take up metal detecting, choosing the right detector can depend on your needs and the area in which you live. As metal detectors have become more sophisticated, you need to look at the features for the different types of terrain available. If you live near the coast and plan to do some beach detecting, you really to pick a detector that can find a variety of metals. The technology in metal detectors is constantly changing, so it’s best to determine what type of detecting you will be doing so you can make the right selection.

joeman

Mar 19, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, BH 840 VLF-TR
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Teknetiks Delta and the Fisher F4 would fit that budget quite nicely and from what I've heard, they're both great detectors for so little money! Was thinking about one for myself... ON the other hand, I may save a bit more coin for a Garrett AT Pro (once I see some water reviews...)

Cheers,

Rascus

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2011
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, MXT ALL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Ace 250....by Garrett that Ive been thinking of selling....I'm more getting into the prospecting...such as Gold and not really with Detectors even though Id have to upgrade to something else for nugget shooting. Anyway this 250 has very little use on it, maybe had it out 4 or 5 times and has 2 search coils....the Sniper and 6x9 Proformance. Anyway let me know if you still are looking for a detector and we can go from there...take care.

Rascus

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACE 250.......You wont regret it.

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to check the pawn shops. I got two detectors from a pawn shop and have had no problems with them.
Nevada Coyote

onbrake

Greenie
Feb 15, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ,O8,XLT,IDX PRO.
There are allot of brand loyal people out there trying to pitch there detector they say how they love it 2 weeks later there selling it. Check the sales on some brands and people are always selling them try to buy one that is harder to buy.The reason you have to ask yourself why are they selling it.Most of the time there buying something better that works.Take a long look at the Delta most under rated detector out there and you wont find many people selling them because they work.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onbrake said:
There are allot of brand loyal people out there trying to pitch there detector they say how they love it 2 weeks later there selling it. Check the sales on some brands and people are always selling them try to buy one that is harder to buy.The reason you have to ask yourself why are they selling it.Most of the time there buying something better that works.Take a long look at the Delta most under rated detector out there and you wont find many people selling them because they work.

Many of us buy and sell different detectors because we enjoy learning them. I have bought many used detectors then sold them down the road, so I could finance another one. I have owned Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and a Troy, I do perfer Minelabs....I just bought a used ML Safari.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread