Oct 5, 2007
Somewhere in Michiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus for now
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a lead off of a classified that I had posted in regards to finding new properties to hunt. A gentleman contacted me through e-mail and asked if I would be interested in hunting a 100+ year old abandoned town in Fulton County. First thing that came to mind was, Heck Yeah, who wouldn't want to hunt something like that. So I got a hold of the other 2/3's of the detecting trio and asked them if they were game. You could here the drool coming through their text messages back at me saying Heck Yeah and When?

I got in touch with the landowner and we made it down to the property in the middle of no where Fulton County and were shown the woods and where certain buildings were to have been. After the short tour we all grabbed our detecting gear and headed into the woods. These woods are not all that big and would be equivalent to the size of a football field in length and maybe just a bit wider than a football field.

xGregx, Tabfinder, and myself spread out and started digging anything that would beep. At first, every signal seemed to be old shotgun shell brass, and I'm thinking, Ok, at least there was human activity in here and that once we start getting closer to the area where the cabins were to have been the signals ill start being more iron.
Once we got to where thecabins were to have been, you could have heard a pin drop through the headphones, it got that quiet. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not ranting or disgusted, as the only information my internet search came up with was only 1 entry and I did contact the library in that area and the only info. they had was what I had already found.

So, a bad day detecting won over a good day at work and the long lost settlement is still lost for now. Gonna have to put the thinking caps on and do some solid investigating.

Oh, and the shotgun brass dates between the late 1800's to the early part of the 1900's. So, maybe we are close, just not close enough.

HH
DJH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread