Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tamrock's trade show cache, headin south along the Arkansas. Little more snow in my part of the country, as the first pic up at Climax shows. Checked out a claim marker along the river near Granite where Clear Creek flows in. One thing I've noticed, the better marked a claim is, and this one was marked real good, the better chance it's a producer. Considering the area, it might be.

Attachments

• 3-7a.jpg
    3-7a.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 3-7e.jpg
    3-7e.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 3-7f.jpg
    3-7f.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 3-7g.jpg
    3-7g.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 50

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh, someone's claimed all the good spots. I wonder if Browns canyon been claimed? I heard there's some good places down in there. Sure wish I'd a claimed all the places I use to pan along that river.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've heard, BLM had designated Brown's Canyon as a wilderness study area, which closed it to mining claims. That designation expired in 2011 and some claims were filed. Thus the big push to have Brown's Canyon declared a national monument and prohibit any type of mining. Now these guys who filed the claims were pretty much just recreational panners, who would have had very little impact on the river. They did want to use some small dredges, which really isn't a big deal. The enviros argued that they might sell the claims to big time corporations who would come in and tear the place up. Which I guess could happen, and I'll admit I wouldn't want to see that. I don't know what the current status is. I will point out that unless the claim is also posted with 'No Trespassing' signs (some are), you're free to walk all over it. But you can't do any prospecting.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've heard, BLM had designated Brown's Canyon as a wilderness study area, which closed it to mining claims. That designation expired in 2011 and some claims were filed. Thus the big push to have Brown's Canyon declared a national monument and prohibit any type of mining. Now these guys who filed the claims were pretty much just recreational panners, who would have had very little impact on the river. They did want to use some small dredges, which really isn't a big deal. The enviros argued that they might sell the claims to big time corporations who would come in and tear the place up. Which I guess could happen, and I'll admit I wouldn't want to see that. I don't know what the current status is. I will point out that unless the claim is also posted with 'No Trespassing' signs (some are), you're free to walk all over it. But you can't do any prospecting.
Back in the time I lived up there, which was walking distance to the river no one ever thought of staking any claims. Even with a big bucket line dredge it be very unproductive to mine the Arkansas river in that area I would think. There just isn't enough concentration of gold to material imo. To me it was just fun to find a little color here and there. God knows you ain't going to get rich on the amount of recovery you'd get out of the upper Arkansas unless you find a way to bedrock which is pretty deep under boulders the size of cars in most places.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know Jack about mining, but I know a beautiful scene when I see one and that first sure fills the bill!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions