In the 1700's club! 1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime! and my first GS Button!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was planning on posting the rest of the finds from the last couple weeks today anyway and yesterday I go out and dig one of my best finds yet! Went back to the honey hole colonial site with VMI and after he scored that awesome silver Trade Pin, I got a whisper of a signal. Came in at 17 on the Safari which to me sounded like a small button like some of the buttons we have dug recently in the same area. It is nearly impossible to pinpoint due to all the iron in the ground. Pinpointer was going nuts in the hole and then i looked in the dirt from the bottom of the hole and saw something round! It looked like silver and i could barely make out a bust, so i poured some water on it and saw a bust facing right and i ran over to VMI thinking it was French, British, or Spanish. VMI noticed with some more water the stars at the top. Turns out it was a 1795 (we think 95, but could be 94) Flowing Hair Half Dime! Rare old American Silver! Its a heartbreaker however because of the chunk missing. Looks like i might have done it but we couldn't find the chuck that is missing, so who knows could have been like that before. We will continue to look for it. Pretty pumped either way.

IMG_4141.jpg IMG_4142.jpg IMG_4154.jpg IMG_4155.jpg IMG_4156.jpg IMG_4157.jpg Screen Shot 2017-01-22 at 2.14.18 PM.png

The rest of the finds include; My first General Service button! Looks like its in pretty good shape too. A bunch of flat buttons. One of them has some interesting writing around the shank that i haven't been able to make out yet but it looks different than they usual "superior, gilt, etc", Another piece of shell edge, Another cartridge that we think might be a Sharps, 3 Buckles, I think the handle of a pewter spoon, An unusual reed from maybe a harmonica but it was dug close to quite a bit of the CW relics that we have dug in the past, Bunch of sheathes, and Whatzits. Thanks for looking! Hope you enjoyed my most rare find so far in my just over a year's worth of digging. Good luck out there!

IMG_4145.jpg IMG_4147.jpg IMG_4148.jpg IMG_4149.jpg IMG_4150.jpg IMG_4151.jpg IMG_4152.jpg IMG_4153.jpg

Upvote 28

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Counterfeit or not, that is one really cool find Stef! Seeing how it was reading so low I'm inclined to believe it may be a pewter fascimile. I've dug multiple counterfeit silver coins, and they all were made of pewter and registered in the nickle range or a little higher. They also have crude, rough breaks kind of like yours, although your coin looks like it has "layers" as well. But regardless, that's a great find to show off in your relic display.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Bill! That checks with what it rang up...will have to study it more. Wonder if that makes it more rare even. Thanks again for the input appreciate it

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1-800-NGC-COIN
call them, they will tell you where to take it to get graded. That is an incredible find. I just was reading about a 1805 Draped Bust Half Dime a guy found in PA. Early American Silver is popping out of the ground everywhere!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1-800-NGC-COIN
call them, they will tell you where to take it to get graded. That is an incredible find. I just was reading about a 1805 Draped Bust Half Dime a guy found in PA. Early American Silver is popping out of the ground everywhere!

Thank you for the heads up! Yeah wouldn't mind finding more of it haha! Next time Bigger Silver that isn't broken

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what to say about this coin. The break sure doesn't look like silver. But real or counterfeit it is one heck of a find.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what to say about this coin. The break sure doesn't look like silver. But real or counterfeit it is one heck of a find.

Thanks Steve! Tis a mystery right now. When I have more time i will come up with a plan to figure it out hah.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Steve! Tis a mystery right now. When I have more time i will come up with a plan to figure it out hah.

I don't think there would be much profit in counterfeiting half dimes :laughing7:
You certainly do have a mystery on your hands. Should be fun trying to unravel it.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think there would be much profit in counterfeiting half dimes :laughing7:
You certainly do have a mystery on your hands. Should be fun trying to unravel it.

Yeah five cents can't be worth counterfeiting it even back then right? Maybe. Gonna look to see if there's any local coin graders or experts.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah five cents can't be worth counterfeiting it even back then right? Maybe. Gonna look to see if there's any local coin graders or experts.

It would be worth it if base metal was pewter (or similar) and a pennyweight of silver could cover 20 coins. There were very cleaver people counterfeiting even back then. Either way, it's a very special coin. If it is a counterfeit, it is most certainly a contemporary counterfeit (done around date of the coin). Other way, it's a rocking find!!

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a crazy rare find! Sorry that its missing a chunk, but I still think its very special.

Thank you! Yeah at first I didn't recognize it because you just don't see them that often. Still pretty bummed about the missing piece but it's super rare either way and I wasn't gonna sell it anyway.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be worth it if base metal was pewter (or similar) and a pennyweight of silver could cover 20 coins. There were very cleaver people counterfeiting even back then. Either way, it's a very special coin. If it is a counterfeit, it is most certainly a contemporary counterfeit (done around date of the coin). Other way, it's a rocking find!!

For sure! If it is a fake they did one heck of a job. And yeah the depth and site suggest it was contemporary regardless. Thanks again Scrappy!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the 1700's club Stef. Sounds like you really had to work for that coin. I am still looking for my 1st US coin from that era.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the 1700's club Stef. Sounds like you really had to work for that coin. I am still looking for my 1st US coin from that era.

Thanks Man! Pretty pumped to join the club that's for sure. You'll get one! Just dig everything lol.

OP
OP
Stef45

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all....so I've sent the half dime pics to a few other coin guys who also think its a counterfeit. I just took some pictures of the coin to see if y'all have any more thoughts on it. not sure what to think about it but i still think its counterfeit. Not sure what to do with it other than have the zero gravity whatever scale thing.

IMG_5361.jpg IMG_5362.jpg IMG_5363.jpg

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck I might spend the money and send it in to pcgs or give them a call. Worth a shot, they may be able to point you in the right direction or help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread