Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

In 1852 German Gully was alive with Alluvial mining activity, panner,s craddles and mudhole puddlers . High above them was the Colluvial hillside miners with long tom sluices. Often they worked together and hand dug large water dams above the sluices and had water transfer trenches. camp was often set just below the dam wall and tents gained some shade and protection from the wind.Today i went out to where i had located a miners camp some time ago. I decided to hunt the sluice line and trenches. Lots of hand-made nails from the crude wooden sluice sides .The sluices where made from local tree Grey box gum as there was little good timber to be had. Some of the sluices in this gully were over 100 feet long. Takes alot of work and water to wash the gold out of the hard pipe clay.
after about 2 hours Finaly the right aggressive sound. Great thing about using a 12x6 mono ecliptial coil is can use your coil nose as a pin-pointer. Take the coil back from target until there no signal and then sink your pick forward of target and get one clump of clay out. Run clump over coil 'got ya" Split clump in half and when a few seconds by reducing and splitting ,you have your target in your hand. simple quick and easy. The thought like another post of taking small scoops out one at time and waving small hand fulls over the coil is slow and making far to much work of retrieving the target.
i can get a one grammer in seconds. Seems my idea works well.

tinpan

Attachments

• tom3.jpg
    tom3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,029
  • tom2.jpg
    tom2.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 1,362
  • tom.jpg
    tom.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 1,390
Upvote 0

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I ALWAYS look forward to you posts - AWESOME JOB MY FRIEND!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"Great thing about using a 12x6 mono ecliptial coil is can use your coil nose as a pin-pointer. Take the coil back from target until there no signal and then sink your pick forward of target and get one clump of clay out. Run clump over coil 'got ya" Split clump in half and when a few seconds by reducing and splitting ,you have your target in your hand. simple quick and easy."

Great advice. That Minelab GPX is the K-I-N-G of Gold Nugget prospecting, and you have taught me quite a bit about it since I have purchased mine.
Thanks again for another great post

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
"Great thing about using a 12x6 mono ecliptial coil is can use your coil nose as a pin-pointer. Take the coil back from target until there no signal and then sink your pick forward of target and get one clump of clay out. Run clump over coil 'got ya" Split clump in half and when a few seconds by reducing and splitting ,you have your target in your hand. simple quick and easy."

Great advice. That Minelab GPX is the K-I-N-G of Gold Nugget prospecting, and you have taught me quite a bit about it since I have purchased mine.
Thanks again for another great post

ok next "the shine method" After you think you an agreesive gold sounding target to reduce the time there another little trick . Gold will sink into the clay. Take flat end of digging pick and take a gentle scrape on the surface above the target. this removes the lose materal leaves twigs and possible modern small pieces of junk. Make the scrape a foot by foot then put your coil down. no traget just deciving surface rubbish . If target still there then repeat want i have already posted above and of you go again. another quick way to reducing dig time.

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1219.jpg
    100_1219.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,642
  • 100_1219.jpg
    100_1219.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,622

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another great post TP, enjoyed it! I hit the old castle today for 3 hours, best find was a piece of iron artillery ball shot from a catapult that exploded, early 1600s. I think between the renovaters and my finds we might be able to piece one ball back together. Not frozen yet and I'm still getting out. HH, Mike

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Australia. gold nugget again. Ossi :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions