Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you take notice of where they live? Ground may not be hard down south or in other countries. Look at their profile to the left, most people put in their location. This forum is global..

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some folks are shut up inside so long that they pull out stuff they found in the past but did not post before and post it now just to start a conversation and have at least something treasure related to do.

I also know of someone who will take a rechargeable drill along to use when the ground is hard...(but not in a time of "polar vortex"...ha ha)

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their hunting in the woods. The leaves keep the ground soft enough to dig. Got that from I think from digmup. Good luck out there's

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been woods hunting also. It's the only place you can dig all year in Cincinnati. I actually prefer it to parks and schools. And it's the only time the weeds are down to get to the older less hunted areas.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haven't tried this year but in years past the ground in my woods is undiggable in January...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in Tennessee and our winters are not too bad. Except now but the ground doesn't freeze. Even with the extreme cold weather we are having right now it is going to be in the 50's later this week. I am a relic hunter and this is our season. Farmers usually have the fields plowed or cut and the woods can be hunted without worrying about snakes, ticks, spiders and veggy overgrowth. The ground here is pretty moist and soft. I hunted last Saturday and it was 25 degrees out and the soil was nice, moist and easy to dig. I went back to Kansas to visit my dad a couple years ago and hunted in 4" of snow and found several wheat and indian head pennies. I am sure further north the ground freezed too hard to hunt.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are froze solid but when I can not take it anymore I get out the pick and hit plowed fields.

Jeff B

Jan 9, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5 ID
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in central Arkansas the ground rarely freezes solid. When it does it doesn't last more than a couple days. Winter is a lot easier time to dig than summer when the ground is dry and rock hard.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
God made winter so that we can use that time to search coin rolls from the bank. ;)

Rangerbb

Jan 25, 2013
Columbia, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to move south...this is our time of the year for metal detecting down here :) Nobody in the parks or schools to worry about because it is too cold or out of season for sports...i lived in WI for 15 years and it got down to a low of 20 degrees yesterday and people were freaking out around here lol. Also like mentioned by tresurehound, the fields are plowed and nothing growing and the woods have less vegetation and nasty critters attacking you like in the summer months.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beach sand can be dug into no problem, and like they said ground that is covered in leaves too. Some of us are just nuts enough, ...ER I mean motivated enough, to dig into frozen ground. Ended up with blisters on my palms from my digging tool so wear thick gloves! And dress for the type of weather you'll be in. G L & HH!

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wood chips in tot lots are diggable longer than solid ground - the ground is frozen at least 3" here at the moment (cold snap), but only the top 1" or so of the wood chips is frozen. They don't bind as tight either, so as soon as you break through in one spot, you can just up-end the frozen layer and get at what's underneath.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of my stuff lately is surface or 1-2 inches down, yes it is cold and yes even the volleyball court's sand was like permafrost in the perpetual shadow of the building. My pick only get me an inch or so. I need the sun's path to get higher in the sky.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey robreiman, find anything in the woods?

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey robreiman, find anything in the woods?

I did! I found 1/2 of a brass horseshoe at a site that used to be a gun powder factory in the 1800's. They made the horseshoes out of brass for a while in an attempt to keep the horses from producing sparks while walking on the nailed down floor planks.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I did! I found 1/2 of a brass horseshoe at a site that used to be a gun powder factory in the 1800's. They made the horseshoes out of brass for a while in an attempt to keep the horses from producing sparks while walking on the nailed down floor planks.

Now that's cool! I never knew that.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Although the temps are freezing one day, the ground may not be froze the next. Me and my brother, nova treasure have been dodging the nastier cold/wet days and hitting any days that is tolerable. I agree with other replies that tree cover can be wonderful against the gusting winds and possibly affect the soils ability to be dug. Also, I like the fact that you don't have to fear snakes, insects, and other aggrevations that you do during more pleasureable weather. Some say that the moist and wet soil conditions during Winter months provide a better signal or even easier target retrieval.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions