In the ground for almost 150 years and it looks perfect! Tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• plate close up.jpg
    plate close up.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,518
Upvote 0

kdismuke1

Silver Member
Jun 14, 2007
georgia
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500-ace 250-garrett ads groudhog deepseeker
I lost that November 10 1858. When you get to heaven would you give it back.Thanks ???.

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
That is absolutely truly awesome "tsgman". I have never seen one before.
Very nice find in excellent condition. Congratulations. (blklab) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Looks like it was dropped yesterday. Congrats on the great find.
Dman

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WOW Nice I have been thinking of cleaning mine but I'm afraid I will screw it up MAN that tuned out good congrats

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Okay, when I hear the term breast plate, I'm thinking some kinda armor. :icon_study: I might be ignorant, but the only people who could wear that for the kinda breast plate I'm thinking would maybe be a smurf :icon_jokercolor: I agree with everyone it is a beautiful piece, and that in and of itself is enough to share your good fortune. But I'm still curious as to what it is :icon_scratch:
I'm guessing from the hooks on the back it's not a button in the "classic" sense?

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Looks cool whatever it is. :thumbsup: Don't assume us Yankee know what that thing is. We don't get them civil war stuff up this far North. ;D

Bob

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Beautiful breast plate, Tsgman!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You've got to be very proud of that find!! ::)

Congrats!

CAPTN SE
Dan

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
WOWSER! Nice, I bet there are some out there with bullet holes in them, looks like they made excellent targets! ;D. Has enny one here ever found one with a bullet hole in it?........NGE (T)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Super nice,, Congrats on an awesome find!
Great job on the clean up as well...

OP
OP
tsgman

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
WOWSER! Nice, I bet there are some out there with bullet holes in them, looks like they made excellent targets! ;D. Has enny one here ever found one with a bullet hole in it?........NGE (T)

I have seen a few examples of shot plates in books. This was the second plate I dug in 2005. I didn't realize it at first but now I believe it may have been shot. The weird thing is it was hit from the back side. It is mushroomed out towards the front. I also have wondered about the lead on the back side being stained a dark brown color, my other plates have a white or gray patina like you find on a bullet. I need to take it somewhere and have it analyzed to see if it is blood that caused the dark stained color. That and the fact it was hit from the back instead of the front. All the examples I have seen the plates were shot from the front, also would make a better target to shoot at the front side. Another relic mystery.

Attachments

• us plate.jpg
    us plate.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 627
  • us plate 1.jpg
    us plate 1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 631
  • us plate 2.jpg
    us plate 2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 604
  • us plates.jpg
    us plates.jpg