In the Treasure Corner - Flashlights

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
This week's program finds us out on a tangent from our regular treasure hunting topics.

Flashlights probably aren't on the "A" list of metal detecting tools for most people.

But as you'll hear in the show, I've always been excited by flashlights, and I always have one with me.

In this program, I explain my fascination with them, and offer a couple of tips as to how they can come in handy in treasure hunting.

Listen at: http://thetreasurecorner.com.

---Dan Hughes, http://treasuremanual.com

Attachments

• flashlights.jpg
    flashlights.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 290
OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Arizona Bob said:
Whew! I misread the title. For a second there, I thought you wanted to discuss FLESH LIGHTS. :dontknow:

Yo, Bob! I think you've been out in the desert too long!

---Dan

angler 07

Greenie
Jan 26, 2007
Tulsa, OK
In my world flashlights have been long eclipsed by the led headlamp. Especially the ones with a selectable red led option for those that wish to retain their night vision.

OP
OP
Dan Hughes

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
angler 07 said:
In my world flashlights have been long eclipsed by the led headlamp. Especially the ones with a selectable red led option for those that wish to retain their night vision.

The LED headlamp is great for pulling those huge catfish out of the dark, but unlike my pocket penlite, the headlamp is too hard to hide from the bad guys who trap you in the cave (listen to the show!)

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I always carry a small LED flashlight. They are good for looking in a void before you reach in there. Plus I have run into caves while detecting. I use the 9 LED unit sold in Harbor Freight. They come in 3 packs for a few bucks. They use 3 AAA cells. I would rather have a unit that uses AA cells, but for the price you can't beat it. Frank

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I had a quick bout of flashlight geekery back when the transition from bulb to LED was hitting its peak...
Coolest pocket light I ever owned was a Surefire M3, but it lost its charm quick. Way too expensive for what it did and I quickly realized that in Chicago, the bludgeon option wasn't something I was willing to give up in a light.

I'm a dyed in the wool maglite guy, simply because where I live, the need to bash someones face in is a very real possibility. My main "big stick" torch is a Maglite 6D with a Terralux 600 Lumen upgrade. It's basically a bat with an optional "blinding sun" functionality. Love it.

Other than that, I use Maglite LED 3D's for daily use.

For those of you who have yet to make the transition from bulb to LED in a Maglite, just go ahead and do it. It's a huge, huge, huge technological leap forward.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
LSMorgan said:
I had a quick bout of flashlight geekery back when the transition from bulb to LED was hitting its peak...
Coolest pocket light I ever owned was a Surefire M3, but it lost its charm quick. Way too expensive for what it did and I quickly realized that in Chicago, the bludgeon option wasn't something I was willing to give up in a light.

I'm a dyed in the wool maglite guy, simply because where I live, the need to bash someones face in is a very real possibility. My main "big stick" torch is a Maglite 6D with a Terralux 600 Lumen upgrade. It's basically a bat with an optional "blinding sun" functionality. Love it.

Other than that, I use Maglite LED 3D's for daily use.

For those of you who have yet to make the transition from bulb to LED in a Maglite, just go ahead and do it. It's a huge, huge, huge technological leap forward.

I totally agree - LEDs are one of the best things to ever happen to a flash light! (I love the extended battery life by going LED! ;D) - I'm also a maglite fan! for investigating late night noises, for going out hiking/ (and maybe detecting) I like the 3 AAA head lamps, I'm really bent that the light companies came out with a 1AA light (I think it was rayovac- who when I sent it in for a warranty repair they swapped it out with a new and improved 3AAA light- and they don't make the single AA anymore- guess they don't sell batteries if you only use them one at a time! evil beasts.) >:(

anyhow I'm a flash light geek- it's the first place I stop in wallyworld when I shop... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread