in the woods

carpel

Apr 30, 2005
Midwest
Most of the snow has melted here in Central Wisconsin, temperatures were in the '30s but we had pretty cold temperatures with the wind chill so I decided to try my luck in the woods. I stayed off the main trails and just wandered around looking for some interesting locations, found some older style beer cans and a lot of ammunition casings! The small bands are from racing pigeons, and I do not think they died naturally!. After doing some Internet research on the bands, two of the birds were born in 1981 according to the numbers on the bands. The third band listed a place called sports loft in Milwaukee WI, I have been in contact with a local pigeon fancier and have supplied him with all the information on the bands. Hopefully I can get some information on where these pigeons originated from, you guys were right interesting stuff to be found in the woods!.

Attachments

• woods1.jpg
    woods1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 455
  • woods2.jpg
    woods2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 449
Upvote 0

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds

Make a neckless out of those and sale it on ebay. I can see it now

THE ONLY ONE LIKE IT IN THE WORLD.

Kermit

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff,I have found several of those bands here in Germany and did not have a clue.Thanks.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I saw another post months ago where someone gave a website address where you can look up pigeon leg bands and get information on it. Not sure where or when it was though. Nice finds! :)

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Nice finds!! Looks very simmilar to a day out in my woods, lots of casings, lead, and an occasional nice relic. Iv only found one pigeon band adn all it said was Mass. Dept Wildlife & Game.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds carpel!

Hunting in the woods can be quite interesting.

;)

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
It's good that you were able to get out despite the cold here in Wisconsin . I myself probably won't venture out until spring unless the temps remain mild and we get some ground thawing.You did make some interesting finds in the woods. The pigeon bands are neet. Hope you can come up with some more good finds out there. Best of luck to ya! HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread