Increase your opportunites...increase your success!

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sidewalk hunting for lost coins has always netted me finds. But with a little extra effort you can really add to that success.

I went to get lunch after work at a nearby food court, which is directly adjacent to an arcade. The food prep always takes awhile and I find myself bored waiting, so I went to the arcade and did something I haven't done since I was a teen and always at arcades...I checked coin return slots. Found $2 in quarters and paid for a third of my lunch! I now volunteer to go on the "lunch run" for the office just to check out the arcade.

My usual monthly take from sidewalk hunting is .50 to $1. Last month I set a new record of $6.42! Found 75 cents today alone! Just shows that a little more awareness and effort can be rewarding.

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL Brendan!

I always move the machines and look behind/under them, too - if the place is empty. I've found quite a bit of change.

Also, I've scored a pre-65 quarter by 'changing' all my dollar bills at the change machine.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it but most of our hobbies on this website make us look very weird from time to time, you just have to get over it or you are really limiting your enjoyment of the hobby.

for example, the bucket of dimes I brought into the bank today. I mean, a full bucket!

Really, what metal detecting, coin roll hunting, and just flat out walking around looking for change has done for me is taught me the value of the dollar in a day and age of inflation, credit cards, and ridiculous spending habits. The subsequent change in the way I view money has been way more valuable and profitable than the amount of change and silver I have accrued.

-Rick

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-Well said Rick. :icon_thumleft:

Plus 2012 will be a fun contest to see if I can pay for my small eBay coin purchases solely with found change.

2012 RESULTS!

Best:

Single day - $7.15 (5/3/12)
Month - $18.03 (May)

eBay $107.63
Found $60.36
------>$47.27 (More than half my eBay purchases paid for!)

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Keeping track is a great idea, a few quarters here and there don't mean much but put 'em all away in the same place and they add up. I especially like your idea of doing it at the lunch hour to offset your costs! Day by day things add up...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread