Incredible Day 1600s site. Seal Top Spoon, Latten Spoon, 1774 Half Real, LE Pipe Bowl

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been out in a very long time due to work and trying to spend a little time with the family when I'm not working. I think about detecting all the day and have just wanted to find one day to get out there and dig a few targets. I had a free day yesterday and approached it this way....I'm going to get up super early and kayak in to a very early site. One that gave up a couple of my favorite relics ever, the early Latten spoons. It was a beautiful day and I felt zero pressure to make a great find. Just having a beautiful day to be on the water and dig some holes was enough for me. So out I went before the sun came up. I landed my kayak and got started hiking to the spot. I detected along the way and was hearing a decent amount of iron. Then got a nice signal and dug what I imagine came from a piece of furniture though I see no attachment points.
image.jpeg
In the same hole was some shells and a few ceramics. Soooo I'm thinking probably an 18th century trash pit. I will return to it this fall.
image.jpeg
The blue glass came from the water and has an interesting stamp. After digging a few buttons and making a mental not of where I was I continued to the 1600s site to see what was hiding in the dirt. First hole I dug contained my first pipe bowl ever with the LE mark (LLEWELIN EVANS) from the late 1600s. Pretty psyched to have it. I also found part of another pipe bowl. 17th century trash pit maybe????
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png
This place is such a mess that you have to clear small spots just to swing for a few minutes. So after clearing a small area I got a screamer down deep. About 12" down I felt it and knew it was a spoon. Was over the min to see it wasn't plain. These are called Seal Top Latten Spoons. The date from the late 1500s to the early 1600s. A few minutes later I got another great signal close to the surface....another beautiful complete Latten spoon. A few minutes later I dug a broken spoon that's a little different style. I never thought I would find another complete Latten spoon after the two I found last year. To find two more examples is mind blowing to me. I couldn't be happier.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The entire family
image.jpeg
I also found what I believe is a 1774 half real. About 100 years newer than most finds at this site....crazy!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Found a couple of random drop coins. 1870 2 center and an 1867 5 cent.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
It was an awesome day and this place is hiding lots more killer early finds....hopefully even an early silver. We shall see this fall
image.jpeg

Upvote 40
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa Abe, that's a top notch hunting session. Nice variety of coins, but those spoons really steal the show. They are magnificent, and are turning into quite a collection!

Thanks pal. I really hope there's another knop spoon out there. Also hoping there's an early coin out there

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had plenty of bowls & tops, but I'm never likely to get a whole spoon - CONGRATS

Not something I ever even thought about finding at these early sites but these knop spoons are such a nice early relic. I suppose this is the big advantage to hunting sites that havent been hit by the fertilizer and plows. I would love to see some of the knots you've found....any apostles?

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's an impressive collection! :headbang: Funny to think, spoons being among your best finds would not be something you ever seen coming.

Yep it's certainly not a collection of finds I ever thought about. But as scarce as these seem to be I'm happy to have them

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know the hunt was off the hook, when you find Spanish Silver and its an afterthought in regards to the finds! Another killer day man :occasion14: The group shot of the latten spoons is unbelievable and if there is that many spoons, you know that there is many more. I cant wait to see what other surprises this site holds for you. Now go get into the pit out there!

This fall will be awesome. No more 80 hour weeks! And yes that Spanish is pretty sad in comparison to the spoons lol. One of my ugliest ever. Not that I have a lot lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe--so happy to hear you found a chance to detect. And WOW--what awesome finds! Those spoons are the bomb! Congrats, and thanks for sharing--great post. -Lisa & John

Thanks Lisa. Hopefully I'll be getting out there on a regular basis doing what I love

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow can we see a picture of the treasure chest all those came in LOL Great job Thanks for sharing your finds and pics!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully next hunt I find that damn chest lol. Thank A2

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding digs Abe, pretty soon you'll be able to set a colonial dinner table :laughing7: in all seriousness the spoons are incredible saves, the Spanish was just icing on the cake.

I'm amazed that these rare spoons keep coming out. They're getting less rare every time I go to this site lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after looking at the pics (before reading), I had to scroll up to look at the date of the thread because it didn't seem possible to dig two more whole ones! Thought someone bumped your old thread. Huge congrats!

Ha I was thinking the same thing during the hunt. I was happy to nab that little half real to add an early coin to the hunt

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww man, you know how much I love those spoons you lucky SOB. Have all of those spoons been found in the relatively same area? You're starting to be a walking Hume book and I love it. Great job spoon8man!

Thank you buddy. I know how much you love these early relics. These are spread out a bit in the site but all within about a 48 foot radius lol

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding as always. But we just knew this was coming, seeing that you have been on the down low. Now you will REALLY be thinking about going back. I don't know how you can wait.

Luckily I'm taking most of next week off so I should be hunting there in the next few days. I'm excited

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoon man..still burning it up. Congrats on another complete example for your collection Ahab. With their age, they have got to be rare to find them intact like that. Very nice collection man!

Thanks buddy. Not sure I've ever seen another complete example posted

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though you haven't been out digging for a while...you clearly have not lost your mojo. Congratulations on some very impressive finds. I also admire your attitude leading up to this hunt. Sometimes the internal pressure to load up the "keeper" pouch makes it difficult to just enjoy a beautiful day. HH

As much as I've been working it was awesome to just get out in the sun. In my opinion attitude can make all the difference with these hunts

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds AhAb. Thanks for sharing.
About time you start posting some good finds for us to see.
BTW those spoons are Way Cool.

I'll be posting a lot more this fall my friend. A lot more

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread