Oregon_Digger

May 11, 2019
Lane County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
MX Sport -
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found my first ever gold ring this weekend and have been showing anyone at work that will even glance at it! So today I decide to pull some cash out at the bank near my office, since starting to detect I read all over on the various forums about other types of treasure hunting so I make a special point now to ask the teller “do you have any half dollars or dollar coins?” just hoping to get lucky, and collecting a few bucks in Kennedy clad halves for fun. So I walk up and deposit a check and get some of it cashed back to me and I ask this pretty young teller about the coins, she says “I think I have 1 dollar coin in here.” And I instantly get a little happy maybe it’s a presidential clad I don’t have yet, or even maybe just maybe a Susan B. And she plops this into my hand, I instantly text a fellow treasure hunter about my amazing luck, and my face literally hurt from grinning all the way back to my office. Given as change face value $1.00. Gold and BIG silver in less than 24 hours. 91ABE109-7993-42B3-A92A-0AD507F3B424.jpeg FF1A6F2F-5E53-4BBE-8EFD-905C10FF024C.jpeg

Upvote 29

wpsgta1000

Jul 17, 2013
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the late 1960s and early seventies I’d ride my bike to the various banks in town and ask if they had any silver dollars. I’d average 8 to 10 per trip then take them to the local coin shop and sell them for a profit.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’d probably buy the teller a piece of cake or something. Sweet Score!! Congrats!!!

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the banks are too poor to hire nothing but stupid tellers......they pay them Chump change.

OP
OP
Oregon_Digger

Oregon_Digger

May 11, 2019
Lane County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
MX Sport -
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well the banks are too poor to hire nothing but stupid tellers......they pay them Chump change.

I don’t think she was unintelligent, just young. I’m amazed how many people I talk to don’t even have a clue about silver change etc. When I found my first silver coin a 1964 Rosie the looks on people’s face when I handed them a dime, like I was a space case. Long winded “well before 1965 blah blah blah, look at the edge etc etc.”

Last edited:

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE!!! It pays to ask!!!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I guess it does pay to ask. Good score. Congrats

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd take her a dozen cup cakes, thank her again, and ask her to save any Half Dollars, One Dollar coins, or anything "odd". This will develop a good relationship with her, and pretty soon when you walk into the bank, she will call you over to her counter when she has something for you. I do this at a number of banks, and at one bank alone I have 4 different tellers saving me coins, (although none of them has plopped a Morgan dollar in my hand ) ! They will also call me now, when the Half Dollar bag fills up on the counting machine so I can go in and buy it. In this hobby it does pay to develop friendships and contacts. Then, after a while just stop in with a dozen donuts for "the crew".

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd take her a dozen cup cakes, thank her again, and ask her to save any Half Dollars, One Dollar coins, or anything "odd". This will develop a good relationship with her, and pretty soon when you walk into the bank, she will call you over to her counter when she has something for you. I do this at a number of banks, and at one bank alone I have 4 different tellers saving me coins, (although none of them has plopped a Morgan dollar in my hand ) ! They will also call me now, when the Half Dollar bag fills up on the counting machine so I can go in and buy it. In this hobby it does pay to develop friendships and contacts. Then, after a while just stop in with a dozen donuts for "the crew".
i did just that, the silver dried up! The tellers wondered what was so great, they sold their keepers to the local jeweler that paid them 50c on the dollar. Treats once a year at most.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's crazy. Young whipper snappers these days know nothing about coins, or silver, or their value. Or much of anything else for that matter
Right? More than half of old fogies don’t know either! I’ve done my own polls. Why would they care? They use plastic money. Silver hasn’t been minted for money for almost 50 years!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread