🥇 BANNER INCREDIBLE FIND of the American Revolution recovered: BRITISH 71ST REGIMENT OF FOOT!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I've found a very significant and amazing relic on my last outing. When I popped it out, it simply looked like a regular flattie but perhaps maybe a floral design on it but could not tell through the patina. When I got it home and soaked it, when I pulled it out it went from being a mediocre find to an absolutely terrific find dealing with the formation of our country! You'll recall that John Harris (Devonrex) found a beautiful British 76th Regiment of Foot button last year and was his first in his digging career.....well today, I can say, I've done the same and with a button that is absolutely gorgeous with silver gilt. When the button emerged from my cleaning formula, there sat a stunning British 71st Regiment of Foot (Fraser's Highlanders) button from the Revolutionary War. By all accounts, this was an elite unit, participating in nearly all the biggest actions of the War. What is coincidental is that the 76th Regiment of Foot was attached to the 71st :

"The two Scottish Regiments under Arnold's service, the 76th Foot (Macdonald's Highlanders) and the 80th Regiment of Foot (Royal Edinburgh Volunteers) were joined with a Highland force [71st Regiment of Foot] that the 76th and 80th men "revered as the elite of the army, who had fought and generally led in every action during the war." The combined battalions of the 71st by this point numbered only 175 survivors though fairly accurate numbers after the battle of Yorktown put the regiment at over 240 strong"

But unlike the 76th Regiment of Foot that went on to serve into the latter 1800's in other countries such as India, the 71st Regiment of Foot was disbanded after the War, making this button super special.

The unit was formed at Stirling Castle in the United Kingdom and then sailed to Boston in 1776 where several of its soldiers were captured in Boston Harbor by the Americans. However, the main body of the 71st did make it to land and they served in almost every major battle of the Revolutionary War, both Northern and Southern Campaigns: Battle of Brandywine, Battle of Long Island, Battle of Stono River, Battle of Kettle and Briar Creeks, Battle of Savannah, Siege of Charleston, Camden, Fishing Creek, Kings Mountain,Cow Pens, Guilford Courthouse, and the final Siege/Battle of Yorktown.

The units last major battle was also the last of the war: The Battle of Yorktown, where upon the field of battle, America won her Independence. As you can imagine, I am absolutely honored and proud to have dug this relic of such signifigance to our history; American History. To acquire a piece like this would be special, but to actually dig one, that means so much more.

The button is in fine condition still retaining the vast majority of its Silver gilting as well as a standup shank displaying the craftmanship that the British were known for. This button will hold a special place in my collection and heart, and the best part was the suprise....not wanting to field clean it and risk damaging it, I put it in my pouch and waited until I got home where, still not thinking it was much more than a flat button with possibly a floral design, I submerged it in solution revealing its true colors!

If you want to read more about the 71st Regiment of Foot, click on the link below:

71st Regiment of Foot, Fraser's Highlanders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

11159682576_5911fe0e1e_z.jpg

BRITISH 71st REGIMENT OF FOOT "FRASER'S HIGHLANDERS" REVOLUTIONARY WAR BUTTON

11159349413_05d9f3a6f5.jpg

11159379365_cb0f6114eb_c.jpg

11159466394_b8d58f63cc_c.jpg

Fraser1776officer.png

11159682576_5911fe0e1e_z.jpg

TRW56%20-%2071st%20Regiment%20of%20Foot,%201780%20Frasers%20Highlanders-700x600.jpg

index.php

modify_inline.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 43

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About as cool as it gets. A truly significant piece or our Nation's history. Congrats...... wow......WOW. :hello:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-BANNER!

Fantastic find! No question one of the best buttons I've seen posted in a long, long time! Huge congrats
-Ox

OxBow, thanks my friend

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on an amazing piece of History, Great condition.............HH

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rightous button there dude! I'm glad the plating held up better on the front than on the back with this button. Usually it's the reverse. I am going to submit my nomination now!

Thanks Steve, and you're right, I've countless convex and flat buttons that have a beautiful gilting on the back of the button...and nothing left on the front. The buildup of gilt on the face can be seen from the edge clearly, but not a trace of gilt on the back. Perhaps this button may have only been gilted on the front or had just a thin layer of gilt on the back.

Last edited:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This button is in fantastic condition. Excellent recovery and happy to see historical pieces like this being found instead of wasting away in the ground. Congratulations on a great find

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a STELLAR find bud!!!!! I wish we had that kind of history here in the hoosier state!! VOTES IN... CONGRATS... HH

Thanks Fishstick, even here in Virginia, this is a scarce find

About as cool as it gets. A truly significant piece or our Nation's history. Congrats...... wow......WOW. :hello:

Thank you TNGuns

This button is in fantastic condition. Excellent recovery and happy to see historical pieces like this being found instead of wasting away in the ground. Congratulations on a great find

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

I agree, whether in the personal collection of a digger, or in a museum, either way they're being saved and preserved.

WOW, that button is off the charts. Amazing condition and history. Great post, vote going in.
ZDD
Appreciate the thumbs up ZodiacDD.

Last edited:
OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stunning find! I just dug a 76th Regiment pewter a few weeks ago so I can relate to the excitement...though mine is not a tenth of the button yours is! Congrats!

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awsome button!

Awesome button! Awesome condition!! Awesome pictures and write-up!!! Congrats - I can see by your write-up that the button is going to a deserving person who values all the history behind an impressive find. Man, I hate to see my banner find of the gold cufflinks pushed off the top, but right is right. You've got my vote for banner.

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations {Sentinel}, Very rare find. You did great on the research also- that's the best part- factual history. HH and have a great holidays'. banner for sure!!!

Last edited:

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That IS very nice! Good job on the recovery and the cleaning! I especially love your write up/description. You have certainly done your homework on this! I'm in with a banner vote as well!

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonderful save!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is too cool, rev. war & colonial stuff is really cool. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread