Incredible Fisher F75 getting bad rap due to mode mistake

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Further below is my review of the Fisher F75 at metaldetectorsreview.net.

On reading other reviews, I was stunned to see the oddly high number of utter haters of this incredible machine.

I managed to reach someone who had utterly panned the Fisher F75 and it turned out he had inadvertently set the F75 to the all metals mode -- a mode based on metering and NOT sound. That mode is for pure professionals, so to speak.

I got him up and running in no time. He's ecstatic. By the by, when I first reached him he would have sold me the machine for a song but I took the high road.

For tuning tips, go to Youtube:

(((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I have to chuckle over the huge discrepancy between those lovin' the Fisher F75 and those hating it.

For those giving it One Star, thanks for scaring some folks away from buying arguably the deepest seeking detector out there. More for me to find.
Not only do I give the F75 the highest star rating but I balk at the greatest criticism: its "noise."

This machine's chatter is, in many ways, its greatest attribute. It's music after you've mastered the F75 to where you can crank it up to 99 sensitivity and home in on prime objects missed by other detectors. I can hear other F75 fans nodding their heads in agreement.

Sidebar: Yesterday (Dec 28, 2012) I hunted a Federal Period site (NJ), using the machine's factory loop. I have worked this prime location more times than I can count. My last couple digs there fostered maybe two or three period items -- for a load of time put in. This go, I hunted 90 minutes with a new F75 and dug 21 items, including what might be one of the first US (official) naval buttons. And I barely scratched the surface -- pun intended. I'm heading back tomorrow.

It astounds me the way this machine can hear through the iron and so easily pick up hard metal (good) readings, differentiated by tones.

I'll be the first to admit that hunting the F75 full-bore (say, 90 sensitivity) entails listening through a lot of music (noise). HOWEVER, it is so dang easy to hear a good signal amid the iron tones. I have found buttons no bigger than shotgun pellets that sounded off like half-cents, I kid you not. If you don't think small is good, think in terms of half-dimes, one reale pieces, dimes or the likes of Jacksonian buttons.

There's surely an F75 learning curve but it's not steep. In fact, practicing in a controlled environmental, i.e. the backyard, is all the schooling needed. Admittedly, just walking onto some high-FE (iron) site, throwing the machine into high-sensitivity gear and trying to learn the machine is highly inadvisable.

I have to think a goodly number of one-star folks simply didn't learn, first and foremost,how to properly -- and masterfully -- tune this delicate machine. (See above)
I'll now note that the F75 can be run quietly, comfortably and profitably with "factory settings."

No disrespect to the factory, but that's a true injustice to the machine's potential. To see that, practice with buried backyard objects, working away from factory settings. Marvel at enhanced hunting gained by increasing sensitivity and downing discriminate.

I'm purposely skipping the "all metals" method of hunting with an F75. It, indeed, requires a serious mastery of metal detecting.For now, we'll leave that mode as an inside secret.
(By the by, that naval button has yet to be identified, even by the pros. I was offered 100 bucks for it.)
I’ll add some photos of earliest load of F75 finds.

Jim of PA

Sep 23, 2012
SW Pa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE LTD Sunray FX1 Probe Minelab X Terra 705 Garrett pro-pointer Whites Prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The F-75 is A. W. E. S. O. M. E And you nailed it. HH

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good post! I got my new (to me) F75 LTD in the mail just this last Friday. Whites M6 is new backup as I am completely sold on this machine. I have used a Fisher CZ5 in the past so I'm moderately familiar with the 'sound and feel'. This detector is a true workhorse, and I don't think I'd recommend it as a first-time machine for anyone. It definitely makes noise, but all the noises mean something! Music! Yes! Small bits of iron and minute ground mineralization changes.. It only takes a few outtings before your ear is tuned and you know signals to recheck and when to just keep on moving! I'm not ready to play in all metal mode. Yikes! Disc at 0 is enough music for me at this point.

Dug a 1900P Dime from a previously un-hunted, but very woodsy/leafy hillside. Coin was about 6" and the air/leaf gap must have been at least 3". Disc 5, Sens 75. (I think!)

About to start a long love-affair methinks...

OP
OP
tigerbeetle

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree 100 percent about the F75 not being for beginners. In many ways, it's a tribute to those of us who have paid serious dues, i.e. years on end, learning how to maximally utilize an advanced detector -- though even I'm not yet to the point of mastering all-metals metering alone. I can do it but my eyes and ears are exhausted in no time.
Please pass along any advanced tips you might have as you use the new F75.
I'll be reporting my F75 finds in this small corner of the Forums.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You did nail it. I think patience and a willingness to learn goes a long way with the F-75. There are plenty of great posts on TreasureNet about fine tuning your F-75. If you have time I suggest you watch the 3 part series on youtube. There's plenty of things to take away from it. I am hoping for a couple dry warm days to go All Metal STAT. I'm pretty pumped since I've neglected that setting... Good luck and happy hunting.

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well Said..... i often have discussion on here with people who bad mouth the machine. Not that they have used it ,, but to hear what someone else has said or they only have only read the manual.. This is so wrong.......And the recovery time in trashy area with the small coil..it is second to none. but is at the top of the list.
This is the machine i use when i g,.both for coin shooting & civil war hunting

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. It is appreciated, and when I get the opportunity, I'll use you advise and information.

I'm about to get back into detecting, have been away from TN for awhile and had some hard times over a divorce, sold my machines, and now trying to save for a new detector. I'm seriously considering the f-75 ltd. I had to laugh at myself. There wasa college kid a few years back who showed up herew, no money but a true excitment about detecting. I bought him a detector through East coast detectors, the thread is here somewhere, and he was off and running. Now I'm the one with no money or detector, but I'll make a come back sooner or later.
Blessings, Ken

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F75's are crazy deep! Love them!

mag

Jun 8, 2007
You did nail it. I think patience and a willingness to learn goes a long way with the F-75. There are plenty of great posts on TreasureNet about fine tuning your F-75. If you have time I suggest you watch the 3 part series on youtube. There's plenty of things to take away from it. I am hoping for a couple dry warm days to go All Metal STAT. I'm pretty pumped since I've neglected that setting... Good luck and happy hunting.
You are exactly right, time and willingness to learn are paramount for success with this machine. A lot of people think you have to run a machine hot to get maximum depth, but this is not the case with the F75.

ProspectorBill

Jan 12, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 300, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of good information above. Replace the stock 11" DD with either a 10" elliptical concentric or better yet a smaller shooter coil and this detector is very sensitive to sub-grain gold, and deals with ground minerals very well. Regards, Bill.

Dark Alchemist

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as the F75 seems like one hell of a machine I still would like it if it had the controls and LCD panel of the F5 or F70 because what we see with this machine makes it seem like an entry level machine when we all know it isn't. Just seems odd to walk up the ladder and when you get to the top of the line that portion seems to have fallen back to a basic/beginners level (it really looks more basic than even a F2 does).

ricky3520

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my F75 metal detector

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For whatever reason many people with more costly machines like to down this machine because they resent the fact that their 3030s can't best the depth even after $2,500. Many 1st Texas machines get similar treatment, like the LRP. In their book you're not supposed to be able to get a machine that performs so well for the money. They'll convince themselves of anything to justify the money they plunked down. Truth is I've seen many an f75 come behind those machines and give a "hunted out" site new life. I now own one and I'm proud to own it. I do take exception to the notion that it's not a machine for beginners. It may not be the simplest start, but none of these machines are rocket science to me. Maybe I'm just that attuned to whatever electronic I'm using, but I think all the features are pretty intuitive to any intelligent person.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread