paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how much plant life can flourish in one short week. Last weekend everything was still flat and dead from the winter, and by this weekend there were already patches of nettles 6 inches tall, and much of the brambles were standing up again. By next weekend the site will be completely closed up, so I knew I had to get at least one more hunt before I would wait for winter. At the same time I was apprehensive because how can you follow finding a GW inaugural button? Well, this site certainly tried to show me!

Just like last weekend the third hole I dug blew me away:

Untitled.jpg

Not just big silver, but old big silver! Here it is cleaned up:

DSC06733.JPG DSC06737.JPG DSC06738.JPG

My very first 2 reales, dated 1786! But right off the bat I noticed it was laid out differently than my other Charles III pieces and actually had a patterned edge. After some research I come to find out it's because it's not colonial silver, but Spanish with a Madrid mintmark. I did some more reading and I doesn't seem like this happened often. It's possible a European traveler brought it with them, but the coin is in phenomenal condition so it obviously didn't circulate long.

That was far from the only coin of the hunt; I found four more colonial coppers including my first NJ copper!

DSC06731.JPG DSC06740.JPG DSC06741.JPG DSC06742.JPG DSC06743.JPG DSC06744.JPG DSC06745.JPG

The ground isn't too kind to copper here so none are in particularly good condition, but all are at least identifiable. Besides the NJ copper, there were two more Connecticut coppers. One dated 1787, and the other also likely 1787 based on the style of the bust. The last is a draped bust large cent dated 1807 which is the last year of that design before the classic head.

Considering how many buttons I dug last weekend there were very few on this hunt:

DSC06752.JPG

The dandy is absolutely huge though and had me going for a second. I thought I might have found a second GW. :laughing7: Very pretty design though and a nice green patina. I also found a tremendous amount of pewter fragments both from spoons and I think pewter plates:

DSC06755.JPG

I also found another huge, intact, crotal bell!

DSC06750.JPG DSC06751.JPG

No maker's mark this time, but interestingly the ball isn't iron, but the same material as the bell. Between that and the general appearance of the casting I get the sense that this is an earlier bell than the other.

There was no shortage of high tones at this site too:

DSC06749.JPG DSC06754.JPG DSC06756.JPG

The shoe buckle looks fairly early and is fully brass so everything survived and even still moves! The iron is actually quite small, but I make a point of keeping each one I find since they're actually an uncommon relic for me. Though the ox knob is a common find at my sites, this is the first I've ever found that was made from pewter.

This last relic I thought was another ox knob until I cleaned it up and now I'm thinking it's something much more unusual:

DSC06746.JPG DSC06747.JPG DSC06748.JPG

The design goes all the way around the ball and the brass isn't very thick, but enough to be sturdy. After a little research I'm thinking its the pommel from a revolutionary war era dress sword. Even if not; it's a really cool piece.

This is definitely the last time I'll be able to hunt the site until the winter, but in the meantime I've been researching the local history and I've discovered quite a bit that sheds some light on the finds. The person who owned this site served in the continental army during the revolution. I can't find too much on his service record, but it seems he settled here after the war and purchased almost an entire hill outside of town. The history book actually accuses him of being "land greedy" and says that he eventually shrunk the size of his estate. He died at the end of the 1820's which is when the relics cut off as well, so it seems probable that the house was purchased, but not lived in until it finally collapsed or burned in the 1850's. I plan on meeting with the local historical society as it seems like this is an interesting individual and certainly a large part of the town's early history!

DSC06730.JPG

Upvote 20

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: on the Spanish.

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
very nice finds there

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing hunt. Great relics and coins. I love digging the State Coppers, and you are obviously on the right site for finding them.The Spanish silver, like you said is not from one of their New World mints, but was minted in Spain and is called a "head" pistareen. Just like the "cross" pistareens which are more common, it is underweight compared to the New World mint 2 reales. Of the six 2 reales I have, one is a Spanish mint head pistareen.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic hunt! :notworthy: Love the old coppers and Spanish Silver. :icon_thumleft:

Vldetecting

Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some really nice finds! I really like the 2 reales find!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you got there just in time. Some real nice finds. Congrats!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt. A big congrats on that super nice silver.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's it. I'm going to either quit detecting this coinless prairie or move to New York! Happy you're doing so good. Gary

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one incredible site, and some really incredible finds. I'm in love with that big, gorgeous piece of Spanish silver. Congrats!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
What a killer hunt. You got all sorts of good stuff. That Madrid 2R is a looker. Congrats and wow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread