INCREDIBLE HUNT!!!!!!!!Freezing My A$$ Off

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I woke up early and started getting dressed, fired up and ready to go! Looked at the temp 12 degrees....REALLY? My lady who is much more intelligent than I am said " Honey just stay home with me and rest today". Hmmmm this sounds pretty smart, so I did the exact opposite and headed out :tongue3: I wanted to go to the spot I pulled the 4 ugly coppers from yesterday but knew it would be frozen solid. So I went to a spot that I've always wanted to check out. It's just a perfect spot for a colonial homestead. It's a point that sticks out into a small bay. It's on the edge of a river with easy access to the ocean. Only problem is that there's no record of settlement out there. But I didn't care about that. I believed there was something there. Out of the vehicle at 7:18 and ready for a very long hike. Perfect day for it as I figured it might warm me up. First find was a toasty copper in the way out. Random drop I'd say.
I set the T2 up in disc mode today at sens 99 and 0 disc. I love this set up and my baby was nailing the goodies today. Next find was a tiny little button about the size of a thumb tack head at 6".
image.jpg
The next area I found was an old stone bridge that crossed a small creek. I dug a brass bell first thing
image.jpg
Then I got a mid 80s hit down about 8". Out comes a small button. Thought it odd that it rang up so high and thought it might be silver, which would be a first. I'll get to that later :headbang:
I also found a small pewter piece shaped kind of like a tear drop and it's flat on one side. Not sure how to clean this piece. Any ideas are welcomed
image.jpg
After this I decided I was going to work my way up the rivers edge. Not expecting anything but I knew a few miles downriver there was at least two 17th century homesteads. I wasn't even going to swing in the hike but decided I should, very good decision. I got a beautiful 88-89 signal down about 8-10". Dug way down and scanned the plug. Still in the hole. So I dug way down and popped that out, checked the hole and it was out. It had fallen out if the dirt and I finally found it. Heeeeellllll yes! An 1802 Real that looked beautiful. Pretty damn psyched as it's been a very long time since I've found any Spanish. And my first Carolus iiii. A couple feet away I dug a flat button and this iron piece that just looks interesting to me and familiar for some reason.
image.jpg
image.jpg
I also found this oxen shoe close by and it's much different from the other hundreds that I pave dug. It seems much better constructed and has a groove in it. Yes I'm posting an oxen shoe lol
image.jpg
Here's the other iron I found
image.jpg
A few feet down river I got a banging 90 signal and out came my 4th complete shoe buckle :headbang:
image.jpg
image.jpg
About this time I was going to continue my trek down river to the 17th century area but I came to a spot where there was a rock face on one side and a steep cliff down into the river on the other. Slippery leaves in between. So I did the smart thing for a change and turned around.
Things got even better when I got home and rinsed my silver button. Not only was it silver but it was made of a 1772 Carolus iii half real. I absolutely LOVE this thing
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 68

ks coyote

Aug 30, 2012
Auburn Kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX x 2, XLT, SL 90, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some nice relics and coins. Really like that buckle.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great day for sure! That's probably from a cufflink so there could be three more!

Last edited:

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd freeze my A$$ off any day for a hunt like that. Congrats on the great recoveries. Now some hot coffee, and out again tomorrow?

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
looks like it was really worth it! congrats on those awesome finds, liked them all. the button is pretty cool too!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is a great hunt, Abe. You need to hit it hard again. Kirk

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome Abe. The button has to be one of a kind, super unique! 12 degrees you rock, we had about 2-3 inches of rain here today temps in the 50s, hoping it thawed out, as I will be playing in the mud tomorrow. Probably be my last chance for awhile predicted below freezing the next 4-5 days. The buckle is cool as h@%*, I'm guessing 1600s?
Big congrats on some great finds!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Glad the silver showed! That 1/2 Real button is an awesome piece of history. The 1 Real is in great shape too. Making me anxious to get out!!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome Abe. The button has to be one of a kind, super unique! 12 degrees you rock, we had about 2-3 inches of rain here today temps in the 50s, hoping it thawed out, as I will be playing in the mud tomorrow. Probably be my last chance for awhile predicted below freezing the next 4-5 days. The buckle is cool as h@%*, I'm guessing 1600s?
Big congrats on some great finds!
Thanks bud and good luck tomorrow. I believe the shoe buckle is 1720-1770

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
That is an all around excellent day, a bit of this and that!
You may want to look for the other half reale from that cuff link , it's there!

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Daggone! That is just plain sweet. I know it definitely warmed you up to get that silver, and you know I like the bell too. But The half Reale made into a button is the first I've seen like that. And the buckle also is in extraordinary shape for that age. Fantastic! I'm not sure what you're running into, but it's supposed to be 65 degrees here in ES of Maryland tom. So, after Church I'm GONE! Congrats and thanks for the inspiration.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: Super finds and I'd say some of them are quite worth freezing an A$$ over! I believe that bell might be what's called a Conastoga Bell, used on the wagons of the same name?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a spot where those kind of finds were possible for me, I'd go out in the cold too! Most of what I'm relegated to anymore is easy walking, modern places. Whatever is there, will wait until I won't have to fight quite so hard. Just the way it is. :dontknow:

Wonderful saves! Looks like it's gonna be a good year for you!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vino sent me this link
image.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome silver finds and buckle too! Well worth the frozen toes and fingers! You are a brave soul! Frozen but brave!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , What a day you had ! Those coins , the buckle - you could be onto a very good site there !!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Huge congrats on the killer hunt, you said you were going after silver today and you didn't disappoint the viewers. The cufflink/button is a great find and I believe it could be either one, seen them being posted up over the years and there's a huge button reference link someplace that I've read up on the coin/buttons.
This was one of the other ones that was posted up from 2010 http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...panish-silver-1781-1-2-reale-made-button.html
There is others on the Google search engine also from other forums.
Great day out Abe, congrats on the days finds.:notworthy:

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle is awsome..Still looking for a full one..The button is a awsome piece of history..From what i read.. And the 1reale..what can i say except im going to start calling you SPANISH ABE!!!!
Or maybe you can be the new MAINERELIC.?? But i geuss that wouldn't work, you dont have anything against the Canadians...lol.. No offense IP..

Any i got away from your great hunt.
It was so worth the freeze..
George

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh man Abe, you might have been frozen, but your T2 was smokin'!! That was an awesome hunt with 2 spanish silvers and that cool bell and buckle. I have an almost identical bell, and the very first colonial silver I dug was a 1/2 reale with a little spot of solder where a shank was attached. And its the only one like it I've ever dug. You're really adding to your collection, and I still think you're hot on the trail to another incredible find. Keep at it, weather be damned

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread