paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday was a little reconnaissance hiking and then some time at my old pounded site that recently gave up my first 1 real. I didn't expect to find much, but with the brambles flat I was able to locate the late 1800's bottle dump some distance from the cellar hole and continue my work from last week clearing the larger targets. I added a further five complete oil lamp assemblies from this dump bringing the total to 8, and all have been on or just under the surface.

DSC04171.JPG

The nice part of them being surface finds is that the thumb-wheels are in good shape so I've been able to pull the manufacturer's information from almost all of them. These ones are:

• Sirius O.C. & Co Pat March 10, 1885
  • J.H. Irwin Pat Feb. 1st 1870
  • Star HB&H (Holmes, Booth, & Haydens) Pat July, 23. 1872
  • Sep 16, 1862 (No Name)
  • Wilmot & Hotchkiss Mfg. Co. Bridgeport CT. (1860's to 1870's)

Apparently the Wilmot and Hotchkiss is a rarer variety so that's cool. It's also nice to get so many dates off relics, but the glass is clearly from around the same time too, so I had a pretty good idea how old the trash pit was. Incredibly it was in the pit that I found the button; not 2 inches from the surface!

20180224_145545.jpg 20180224_171850.jpg

It's in such good shape that I instantly knew what it was, even with the dirt. The second photo is after a splash of water to get the chunks off and it already looked great, but it wasn't until I did some careful lemon juice cleaning that it really shined:

DSC04165.JPG DSC04170.JPG DSC04168.JPG DSC04169.JPG

It hardly looks like it was in the ground at all! The back had a little more difficulty, but it's a "Scoville Mfg Co Waterbury, CT" button. Civil War button are a rarity here, this being only my third ever, so I never expect to find one when I hunt. Because it was found at a specific homesite I'm hoping I can tie it to the soldier it belonged to. My research shows that this site was owned by a J. Duley in the early 1870's. I found that a John Duley joined the 54th New York Volunteer's regiment out of Hudson New York which is less that 15 miles from here. If it is indeed the same J. Duley then this button saw quite a few battles and possibly Gettysburg which would be incredible!

There were quite a few other relics that came out of the trash pit including this very odd chain:

DSC04172.JPG DSC04174.JPG

I've never seen anything quite like it and I suspect it was a personal adornment since it can't have been that strong. I also found this beautiful cane handle.

DSC04177.JPG DSC04179.JPG

Looks like it broke off the wood and they just pitched it. There were also a few large pewter pieces.

DSC04175.JPG DSC04176.JPG

One is the spout from a teapot, but the smaller one almost looks like a pipe mouthpiece. There is a hole that goes through it, but it's very thick and heavy.

DSC04180.JPG

Some of the smaller pieces give me hope that there's older relics deeper in the trash pit. The clay pipe stem and 1820's flat button are good signs, so I think this is next on the list for sifting. I may have to wait until June, but I plan to completely dig out the pit and sift every inch of dirt. Who knows what other treasures are buried under all the glass bottles and masked by iron nails!

DSC04163.JPG

Upvote 16

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds, but the button is outstanding! They don't come out like that very often. Congratulations!!

Roundness

Apr 27, 2013
La Vergne, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pinpointer II, Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one really nice button!!! The rest of the finds are great too. Congrats :icon_thumright:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never seen a NY button that nice. Congrats on an exceptionally sweet specimen.

I like the dated lantern adjustment wheels too. I always get excited when I find one with a readable date.

I look forward to your next post from this spot. GL!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That button is a looker.
Congrats

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THat's really nice button, congrats on the recovery and the other finds as well.

Seen this chain before and I think it was said it was a watch/fob chain.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very nice button, I could easily see you getting excited at those finds. great site

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen this chain before and I think it was said it was a watch/fob chain.

That would make sense, the ring at the end looks like a split-ring so they could have attached it the the ring on the pocket watch. Probably not too old then, but still pretty cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for the watch!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome relic hunt, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread