Indian Agency House Silver

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Was able to hunt the area around the river bank and through the trails this summer. Did not hunt the property, but was able to hunt directly across the road at the river where I found this beautiful silver fan.

The year was 1673, and as the French pushed their exploration into what was then called the Northwest, Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet portaged from near the headwaters of the Fox River to the Wisconsin River and ultimately made their way to the Mississippi River. The Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Indians had known of this portage since time immemorial but could not have realized how sharing this knowledge with the Europeans would change the region. This portage represented a means by which one could travel through the Great Lakes, across what was to become Wisconsin, and down the mighty Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico. The site of this crossing is now the site of the city of Portage in south central Wisconsin.

The United States Government would establish relations with the Ho-Chunk and in 1828 it began construction of Fort Winnebago near this portage. 1829 saw a young West Point lieutenant by the name of Jefferson Davis sent to cut logs to be used in parts of the construction of this fort. Sadly, the only remainder of Fort Winnebago is the Surgeon's Quarters, originally built between 1819 and 1828 as a private residence by Francois LeRoi who operated a portaging business. As the name suggests, it was later used for medical purposes at Fort Winnebago.

In 1832 the U.S. Government constructed a private residence near Fort Winnebago to house the Government's agent to the Winnebago, John Kinzie. Kinzie and his wife, Juliette née Magill, had moved to Fort Winnebago in 1830 and lived in the agency house from the fall of 1832 until the summer of 1833. Juliette would write of their experiences in her book "Wau-Bun, the 'Early Day' in the Northwest".

Attachments

• Indian Agency House before restoration.jpg
    Indian Agency House before restoration.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 760
  • Bell,silverdime,misc.JPG
    Bell,silverdime,misc.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 751
  • token silver fan.JPG
    token silver fan.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 764
  • silver fan tokens badge.JPG
    silver fan tokens badge.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 752
  • Looking toward Fort location.JPG
    Looking toward Fort location.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 757
  • Indian Agency House 5.JPG
    Indian Agency House 5.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 761
  • surgensquarters1.jpg
    surgensquarters1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 714
  • Indian Agency House 1945.jpg
    Indian Agency House 1945.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 750
Upvote 0
Great finds Gypsy...I love the token and the silver fan. BTW, who would have in their possession a silver fan? Also, we now know where the RV got its name for its Winnebago. I just learned that on the History Channel several days ago.

BPMM

I love the badge and silver fan. Your posts are always so informative. Great finds there. I felt for a second like I was back in history class. (My favorite subject in school) Thanks for the post.

Very nice finds indeed Gypsy!Would be great to be able to hunt the property but you did well regardless.Great post.....joe

jopher said:
Very nice finds indeed Gypsy!Would be great to be able to hunt the property but you did well regardless.Great post.....joe
Part of the problem was that on both occasions that I was there,no one was about nor were there any other houses close to ask permission. Since its at the end of a dead end road, I thought my chances would be better along the water trails and directly across the house along the banks. I thought the area where I found the fan was the closest route from the house that someone would take to the water. From what I understand there have been several reenactments on the main property and has been hunted numerous times .

Wow....you know your history and research.And what beautiful finds :o Nice work indeed ::)That badge is awesome!!!
Rob

Gypsy...very nice finds, that silver fan is very unique and an awesome find!!! What kind of token is that?

Does Juliette say anymore?Could lead you to some more treasure's?Cool find's and history...Look's like there may be more to the fan.....Congrat's!!

civilman1 said:
Does Juliette say anymore?Could lead you to some more treasure's?Cool find's and history...Look's like there may be more to the fan.....Congrat's!!

I am reading her writings now in order to glean any hints I can. Alot of silver passed through those doors......
There were two divisions of the Winnebago Indians, one of which was paid by the Agent, at the Portage, the other at Prairie du Chien, by General Street. The first, between four and five thousand in number, received, according to treaty stipulations, fifteen thousand dollars in silver annually, besides a considerable amount of presents, and a certain number of rations of bread and pork, to be issued in times of emergency throughout the year........

Attachments

• Juliette.jpg
    Juliette.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 619
  • Drawing by Juliette.jpg
    Drawing by Juliette.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 613
  • original house.jpg
    original house.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 625
Nice finds Gypsy, love the fan. I suppose the "No Cash Value" has some significance to the treatment of the Indians by the white man... Neat post, as usual.

Gyps,
Nice going!
The fan and token are wayyy cool.
Is that a thimble (above the dare)?
Great history....thanks :)

Great finds Gypsy...amazed at how you find the time to do all that you undertake!

The badge is a great find. What was the "eagle" button or coin?

Hi gypsy great post and lov the finds. thanks for sharing the great history and pics. Your getting as good as me ahahahahah

tinpan ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back