Indian arrowhead and spearhead or not?

Gamecock Fan

Aug 18, 2007
Hello Everyone,
I am in South Carolina and know almost nothing about Indian artifacts. But I found both of these within a month in almost the exact same spot. This larger one (which I think might be a spearhead) was found today, after a really hard rain last night. Believe it or not, I actually found these under a tree just outside my daughter's horse trainer's dressage arena! The soil there is very sandy, with lots of sandstone present. And there is the remnants of a creek running close by to where this arena is located. If these are in fact Indian artifacts, perhaps this property was at one time an Indian settlement or campground? Would anyone offer an opinion on whether or not these are the real thing, and if so, perhaps how old they might be? Thanks for your help.
Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3257.jpg
    IMG_3257.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3,789
  • IMG_3259.jpg
    IMG_3259.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,411
  • IMG_3262.jpg
    IMG_3262.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,905
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gamecock Fan

Aug 18, 2007
Hey Matt,
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me what type of things you look for to recognize them? I thought the head of these two seemed to indicate they were real, but sometimes it is hard to tell if you just have a rock that looks like something else. Also, what type of mineral do you think these may be? Thanks again.

OP
OP
G

Gamecock Fan

Aug 18, 2007
Can you tell anything about these 2 items? What is your opinion on their authenticity? Thanks

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Gamecock Fan said:
Hello Everyone,
I am in South Carolina and know almost nothing about Indian artifacts. But I found both of these within a month in almost the exact same spot. This larger one (which I think might be a spearhead) was found today, after a really hard rain last night. Believe it or not, I actually found these under a tree just outside my daughter's horse trainer's dressage arena! The soil there is very sandy, with lots of sandstone present. And there is the remnants of a creek running close by to where this arena is located. If these are in fact Indian artifacts, perhaps this property was at one time an Indian settlement or campground? Would anyone offer an opinion on whether or not these are the real thing, and if so, perhaps how old they might be? Thanks for your help.
Jim
Real foolers.I pick them up all the time,juyst to throw them back down.Maybe it is just the pics but they don,t seem to be worked at all. Just interesting rocks JMO Jeff

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Not sure about the one on the left, maybe Guilford stemmed? The one on the right reminds me of a Koens Crispin. I disagree with Ohioriver hunter, they look like legit artifacts. I can ascertain flaking and form. Rhyolite points can be pretty rough sometimes, but they work what they could get their hands on.

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Hey Jim, nice points! Check that same area out after a good rain (if we ever get any) and you'll find several more! Happy Hunting!!

razor

Apr 29, 2007
The smaller of the two looks like a Gary. I"ve seen a few that were not in much better shape. Not sure on the larger. Both are pretty worn. Were did you find them? Razor

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Matt R said:
Not sure about the one on the left, maybe Guilford stemmed? The one on the right reminds me of a Koens Crispin. I disagree with Ohioriver hunter, they look like legit artifacts. I can ascertain flaking and form. Rhyolite points can be pretty rough sometimes, but they work what they could get their hands on.
I guess my eyes are shot. I ,except for one pc. can,t see any flaking at all. The material looks like shale,limestone or something,but all I do is pick them up ,been huntin off and on for 33 yrs.but just started getting interested in typology,materials and like.I know little about Ohio artifacts let alone SC. finds. I,d take Matt,s advice,he seems to be very knowledgable.

Jeff
AKA Ohioriverhunter

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Hey Jeff the environment and material these points are a product of have resulted in their less than refined look. If my suspicions are correct Gamecockfan (how bout that game yesterday!!) found these sandstone points in an area that is usually underwater and sandy, but is exposed and searchable due to the drought in SC. These result after about 65 years or so (depending on the age of the reservoir) is a tumbled look to these points. The chert points don't show this tumbling due to the increased hardness compared to sandstone.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
FMarion2ndRegSC said:
Hey Jeff the environment and material these points are a product of have resulted in their less than refined look. If my suspicions are correct Gamecockfan (how bout that game yesterday!!) found these sandstone points in an area that is usually underwater and sandy, but is exposed and searchable due to the drought in SC. These result after about 65 years or so (depending on the age of the reservoir) is a tumbled look to these points. The chert points don't show this tumbling due to the increased hardness compared to sandstone.
Thanks Marion,I didn,t know that. I,ve never even heard of Ryholite.But the more I look at them,I can see they are the real thing. The main reason I,m on this forum is to learn.
Jeff

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is Rhyolite common in S.C.? I thought Rhyolite is a type of quartz or granite, not sandstone. Also the forms of the points look correct but I've never seen a sandstone point ever. Are they common in S.C.? I was leaning towards them being natural formed rocks but I know nothing about points from that area of the U.S. Thanks

FMarion2ndRegSC

Sep 14, 2006
Here are a few what I call sandstone points. Sometimes they are in better shape than others, but they are definitely not as pretty as the chert points, but seem to be fairly common at least in my part of SC. And let me tell you, they are much harder to spot among all the gravel and rocks laying around. The chert points really shine and are much easier to spot.

Attachments

• sadstn.jpg
    sadstn.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 408

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I'm thinking that they are actually a type of quartzite. Low quality stuff often looks like sandstone but it's a tad more compressed and holds together better. Real sandstone just doesn't have any concoidal fracturing properties at all and is all but useless as a lithic material.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know but I think they are Leverites, as in leave them right there. I don't see any real flaking, material is wrong, hope I'm wrong!

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes those are real projectile points--and they are very old--and been buried in sandy, very acidic soil too.

Good find

Sherm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread